What Games Are You Playing?

Skyrim Remastered - Put 30 hours in to it so far on my PC, the longest I've actually played a save for! My first on PS3 was 20 hours, then when I built my PC I played it again for 18. Both times I got bored, this time everything seems to have clicked. Played a warrior mage. Focusing on destruction, conjuration and double handed weapons!

Fallout 4

This games suffers from the same problem as skyrim which is that doing the missions/quests isn't exactly fun. The first 20-23 hour's that i spent mostly exploring and building towns was fun but now that i have been focusing on main questions and factions it hasn't been all that great.

It also sucks that i spent lot of points on charisma but it doesn't feel like i get anything out of it because there isn't any good dialogue to have through it. Mostly you just can extort more caps but if you have a partner that doesn't like it then you don't even get that.

Just completed the main story of Final Fantasy XV. Phew. That was an experience. Gonna shamelessly copy my long Facebook post next.

The first and most important thing is that I really liked the game. The world was fun to explore, the combat system was exhilarating once I'd mastered it and Yoko Shimomura's music was spectacular. As a Final Fantasy game, this was far more satisfying than XIII ever was. I loved the nods to previous games and the way it incorporated the summons like Shiva, Ifrit and Ramuh. Sometimes it was rough around the edges (the subquests could have had more variety, Chapter 13 was awful and the camera needs work), but XV has boatloads of charm and heart. I'm glad it didn't take itself completely seriously too, I loved the humour throughout.

The storytelling was a mess. You can tell that they had to piece it together from the wreckage of Versus XIII. It bordered on incomprehensible at times, which is a shame since there is definitely a good story in there somewhere.

However this game wasn't really about the story. It was about the wonderful main characters. I don't mean to harp on XIII yet again, but where that game failed utterly with its horrible cast, XV smashes it out of the park. Gladiolus, Prompto and Ignis were terrific, but Noctis was the one that really surprised me. I was expecting a mopey, moody Squall-type, but he was a thoughtful, witty and extremely likeable lead. The brotherly bond between these four was the glue that held this game together and gave XV its emotional power, especially when I got to the incredibly moving ending. I'm really going to miss these guys. I only wish the same attention had been given to Lunafreya.

So yeah, considering all the development hell over this past decade, I'm really glad the game turned out this good. It's rough around the edges, but a lot of passion went into making this game and it shows. Most importantly, it's given me a renewed faith and optimism in Final Fantasy again. I'm genuinely looking forward to the future. I've still never played FFXII, so the HD remaster is most welcome. The long awaited VII remake is looking spectacular. And I actually want to see what they come up with next. Bring on Final Fantasy XVI!

...just don't take a decade to come out this time please!

Fallout 4

This games suffers from the same problem as skyrim which is that doing the missions/quests isn't exactly fun. The first 20-23 hour's that i spent mostly exploring and building towns was fun but now that i have been focusing on main questions and factions it hasn't been all that great.

It also sucks that i spent lot of points on charisma but it doesn't feel like i get anything out of it because there isn't any good dialogue to have through it. Mostly you just can extort more caps but if you have a partner that doesn't like it then you don't even get that.

Too many fetch and "go to this location and kill everyone" quests. Fallout 3 had its fair share of fetch quests, but the game was set up in a way that you could complete quests in a variety of ways. Like early on you might need to find someone and you can follow the clues given to you, do quests for favours, hack personal terminals, lockpick cabinets, or happen upon them while doing other things. In Fallout 4 they've really taken the variety away. Like you mentioned, Charisma doesn't allow you to circumvent violence (or quests in general). In Fallout 3 and New Vegas, you could potentially complete the game by killing less than 10 characters. In Fallout 4 they make it nigh on impossible. The removal of skills is probably my single biggest annoyance with this game. It's just no fun not being able to personalise your character the way you want, when you want. Now you need to wait until you reach the correct level and the game tells you that you're allowed to get the perk you want. It's even worse when most of the perks are basically what skill points were. The factions having their own quest lines was cool, until you realise that 90% of them ask you to do the same thing.

I did like the followers, though, especially Piper and Nick Valentine. It was really cool how they actually gave them backstories and they react to how you behave. Cait loves it when you use chems, drink alcohol and walk around in your underpants. XD

Also, while I you were reading this Preston sent a message...

11.jpg

God Preston is annoying.

Exactly. It's a shame that they spent so much effort on putting the world together but can't **** to hire someone to write some decent quests. I beat the story yesterday and it was even worse than Fallout 3's. At least that game had a proper story eventhough it wasn't a good one but in this game it felt like there was no payoff.

You just find the institute and then you choose one of the unfilling paths that decide the fate of it. I never cared about anything and all the factions sucked because there simply wasn't enough development to them.

I do agree that the followers can be fun but i think it wasn't a good decision to make you please them just to get their dialogue and perks. It essentially prevents you to play the game the way you want if you want to have the most powerful character possible.

Though it's not like you get to make any interesting choices anyways.

Exactly. It's a shame that they spent so much effort on putting the world together but can't **** to hire someone to write some decent quests. I beat the story yesterday and it was even worse than Fallout 3's. At least that game had a proper story eventhough it wasn't a good one but in this game it felt like there was no payoff.

You just find the institute and then you choose one of the unfilling paths that decide the fate of it. I never cared about anything and all the factions sucked because there simply wasn't enough development to them.

I do agree that the followers can be fun but i think it wasn't a good decision to make you please them just to get their dialogue and perks. It essentially prevents you to play the game the way you want if you want to have the most powerful character possible.

Though it's not like you get to make any interesting choices anyways.

The main story is a definite step back. They don't even have Liam Neeson's voice to fall back on. I wasn't even mad by the main story, Bethesda regularly fails on that front, but the side quests. My god, besides the mystery about Nick Valentine's identity, there wasn't a single quest that had me invested. I haven't played Fallout 3 in years, but I can remember so many of the sidequests. They at least gave you choice and made you question what choice you wanted to make. ie Tenpenny Towers, Superhuman Gambit, Our Little Secret, The Replicated Man, Some chapters of the Wasteland Survival Guide. Some the quests were just so whacky. It's too bad that there's nothing like that in this Fallout.

I get what you mean. It could've been more like New Vegas, where as you take them with you, they trust you more and open up to you. Forcing you to play a certain way to unlock a story path is frustrating. I particularly hated how you could sleep with all of your followers and none of them would be angry that you're cheating on them. At least other RPGs where you sleep with multiple followers leads to a moment where said followers confront one another, but not in Fallout 4.

Fingers crossed there's a spin off game in the series that is more of an RPG and less of a shooter.

Last edited:
Just completed Darksiders 2, apart from the main quest the side quests were largely missing from the whole experience. You get a handful of them and they are generally your very basic; go here, kill this quests with no apparent benefit of completing them.

I've bought my first ever castlevania game, lords of shadow 2. After watching speedrunners playing the old snes instalments i figured what the hell i'll give the re-boot a go. Yet to play it yet but hoping it'll be a good go-between devil may cry and possibly darksiders, though i've seen very little of the gameplay or footage i do recall seeing a video in which Dracula fights Satan so it should be good fun.

I also bought the metal-tinned PS4 Shadow of mordor game, having loved the lord of the rings and the hobbit books and also the films i found myself compelled to buy it, especially when i noticed the metal case was priced the same as the generic plastic case. "why the hell not?"

I was hoping for a few good games from the ps3/4 12 days of christmas but unfortunately nothing has caught my eye. Instead i'll take a gander at the possible deals on Steam, it's been a few months since i booted up my computer (abit of a waste as i'd only finished building it shortly before i gave up using it)

If anyone has any nvidia GTX 770's hanging around for a decent price, please do let me know.

I think I've put a tad over 30 hours into Final Fantasy 15 by now, and I'm still adoring it. It's just such a regularly puzzling and yet lovable game. And that's exactly how I like mine. I don't think I can even remember the last game I've put this many hours into. I don't think I can even recall many games in which I've actively wanted to do plenty of side quests, but in this game it's mainly all I've been doing. I'm not even exactly sure why I've been enjoying them so much, their premises are rarely very interesting or unique. But all I know is that I just want to spend more time cruising this world and fishing while enjoying the companionship of my royal retinue. I think that's all it comes down to in this game, the charming world, and the even more charming friendship of the characters. The last game I tried to play was Yakuza 4, and I ended up hating it and quitting after the first chapter. Yakuza's world was sleazy, unappealing, unattractive and filled with characters who I found hateful. This game though(perhaps with the exception of a dollop of sleaziness in Cindy's design) so far is thankfully free of all of that. If the game is comparable to any bit of the Yakuza series, it's the orphanage segment in Yak 3, it's the peaceful vibe and sweet character interaction.

Things have been getting a bit more epic in the story segments, and I've been enjoying the tosh, but at best I only vaguely know what's going on, and I'm fine with that. It's the companionship of the characters, who individually don't even seem to have interesting backstories, that really makes this game more than the sum of it's parts. Oh and the CHOCOBOS!

I suppose upon reflection my enjoyment of this game is kind of contradicting what I said in that other thread. I'm specifically enjoying this game because it is kind of a 'friendship simulator' haha.

It feels like Japan is back! This and The Last Guardian both out this festive season, sweet sweet times. And Shenmue 3 is on it's way too, that will be the sweetest time of all.

Played through the NieR Automata demo that popped up today.

As a massive proponent of the original NieR, I loved it, weird camera/combat quirks and all, it's thoroughly convinced me to pick it up at release.

Plays a little like Vanquish without so much sliding (or MGS revengence I'd imagine, though never did play that), with the same sort of open world feeling I got from XIII-3 in recent memory.

I'm 60 hours into Final Fantasy XV and just started chapter 8. A lot of that time has been doing side quests and leveling up (which i'm glad i did as it made it much easier to fight some of the bosses in the main story quests). I'll now be doing all other side quests that i have left and hunts before i get in my boat and head to Altissia.

On the Annual January Sales on PSN I could have bought an AAA game or a JRPG or a game featuring Pigeons Dating, So what did I get...Monopoly Plus :cool:

So I played through it last night and yep I can confirm it's Monopoly, I seen it and just had the itch to play it, well when I say play it I mean Tyranically take all the properties and force everyone (controlled by me of course) into bankruptcy. I might play a game against the AI at some point just to add some balance.

EDIT: Whilst going on my Tyrannical Rampage I got 100% Trophy Completion!

Bought Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus and Assault Android Cactus on steam yesterday, so i'm switching between those.

Also play Rocket League quite a lot.

Played through the NieR Automata demo that popped up today.

As a massive proponent of the original NieR, I loved it, weird camera/combat quirks and all, it's thoroughly convinced me to pick it up at release.

Plays a little like Vanquish without so much sliding (or MGS revengence I'd imagine, though never did play that), with the same sort of open world feeling I got from XIII-3 in recent memory.

Played it myself a few days ago, too. The gameplay is pretty fun and it's way more polished than the first game. The soundtrack should be great again.

Not that it matters, but I had to roll my eyes at 2B saying there's no room for emotions and then nearly crying when A9 was in trouble (despite them meeting only 2 minutes prior). Characterisation >

Back