What Games Are You Playing?

Tachi said:
I spent about an hour lastnight reading up about the slenderman and watching youtube videos on the game. It was scarier to look around a world that left creepy notes and was completely deserted, when the slenderman appeared the guy filming his adventure started screaming and crying and ran only to turn around and see the slenderman right behind him. I'm not sure that the graphics helped as the slenderman looked abit..... crap. perhaps if someone spent the time and effort into video-ing live people in a sort of blair witch scenario and a decent looking monster not a CG slenderman that was made by the likes of the primevil show then MAYBE i'll feel alittle scared.

I did end up reading about the SCP things of pure weirdness. It does sound abit like "whats the weirdest, toughest thing i can possibly imagine and what super powers can i give it"

One was a crocodile like monster who could regenerate after 87% of its body was destroyed and could talk. Had a severe hatred for humans and liked to talk to a computer chip with AI and cognitive abilities equal to a human but was infact on a old cassette tape hooked up to a tv.

You haven't played it. It's impossible to make a judgement call without playing, seriously. If you play it and it's still not scary to you, then fine, but you REALLY cannot have an opinion of it from videos. I can watch the videos fine but I still cannot go back to the game yet, even know all that can happen in it, you need to play it before I can accept your opinion. I'm not saying your opinion is wrong and sometimes you can tell a games quality from videos, but this is really not one of them.

Yes, the Slender Man himself doesn't look scary at all, but it's what he represents along with the static effects that will come out of nowhere that make it work. It would not be scarier with a different monster, because it's what he represents, which is something that can appear anywhere, without warning. Even if it looked grotesque and horrifying you would get used to its appearance and not be scared by it, it's the sudden appearance/ disappearance.

Personally i see the slenderman as the anonymous "icon/mascot" being that they both wear suits and have no face. When it comes to that i deduct all fear of "what is it" or "what it presents" as the real anonymous is real and infinitly more dangerous.

Now if it was similar tothe ring's video tape and after you play the game you are haunted by a figure meeting the discription then that would be completely different. The best horror/thriller is based on what you cannot see instead of what you can so i guess the mechanics for the game are solid enough but just lacks that "real life" vibe that paranormal activity does. (and between me and you i hear things in the night that sounds like breathing mere feet away despite me being the only person in the room and shadows moving across the walls, i prefer to ignore these for the most part and write them off as the mind playing tricks.... though i'm not 100%)

I've been reading more of the SCP's and found one that i found a great read. If this little guy was real then i'd love to meet him and just have a chat:
http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-030

fabricatedlunatic said:
Alan Wake must be one of my biggest gaming disappointments. Linear levels, lack of enemy variety, not really scary or tense, and the story was delivered as such a slow drip-feed that I lost interest well before the game finally showed its hand.

Maybe I was just expecting more after the long wait and all the hype. I do, after all, love Remedy's Max Payne, which also has linear levels and a lack of enemy variety (it's also not scary or tense, though of course it isn't supposed to be). Also, Max was cool and so-mo diving around made me feel cool, while Alan was a twat and... yeah.
Not tense? You're either a lot better at it than me or playing on a lower difficulty (or using auto-aim, please don't say you used auto-aim). When five enemies spawn around me I have to go mental with the keyboard and mouse in order to stay alive, and I love it. Torch, dive, torch, shoot, batteries, torch, reload, torch, shoot... it's not as awesome as bullet time, but then using bullet time did make you feel cool but it also made things easier, whereas battery time (running out) puts you under serious pressure. It's not scary, no, but then I didn't expect to be as I don't think I've ever been legitimately scared by a game. Or a film for that matter. I think the only fiction that tends to scare me is the written word coupled with my own imagination. I still find it intriguing and atmospheric, and that's good enough for me.

I haven't witnessed any particularly twattish behaviour from Alan yet, unless you count not explaining things to the police or going off on one at his wife for revealing her devious female motives for getting him to go to Bright Falls in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do think they make him out to be a bit of a diva, but his actual in game behaviour isn't so bad for 9/10s of the game. But then he's spending most of it being chased by weird things wondering what the hell is going on so I'm not sure how much room he had to be a douche anymore.

I certainly thought it was tense and atmospheric. I panic practically every time there's and enemy. It's not piss-your-pants scary but I don't feel like that was ever what they were going for. The episode format and little details like the TV sets etc really hooked me in and kept me playing.

Rise from your grave, old series of mine.

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V9A4jZxzYww?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V9A4jZxzYww?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

No I ordered it from ShopTo and it arrived today. I usually get games from them 2 days early, happened with Warriors Orochi 3 too.

It's really fun. Battle-wise it's like Vandal Hearts / Disgaea - where you have a certain number of squares you can move and then you can wait or attack. Normal Pokemon tactics are important too like what is super effective etc...

It's not always as simple as 'defeat all enemies' to win a stage though. Sometimes there will be other objectives too which makes it more fun :D

I think I'm gonna have to check it out. Shining Force and Pokemon are about my favourite games ever and it's [retty much a mash up of the 2 with samurai rubbish thrown in.

Ahh shopto, whenever I really want a game early I go to them too :) Since my Mass Effect 3 (with bonus t shirt) copy didn't show up and they refused to replace it though I haven't really been going back to them :(

Metro 2033 and Superbrothers: Swords and Sworcery EP.

Just two of the many steam purchases I made...Metro's pretty fun. Reminds me a bit of a cross between Half Life and Stalker. I quite like the setting and the lighting effects in DX11 are stonkingly good looking. However it's Swords and Sworcery that's leaving the bigger impression on me. It just seems to be my type of game at the moment. I love the pixelated style and the soundtrack is fantastic. I'm completely engrossed in it and looking forward to what happens.

Cathe said:
No I ordered it from ShopTo and it arrived today. I usually get games from them 2 days early, happened with Warriors Orochi 3 too.

It's really fun. Battle-wise it's like Vandal Hearts / Disgaea - where you have a certain number of squares you can move and then you can wait or attack. Normal Pokemon tactics are important too like what is super effective etc...

It's not always as simple as 'defeat all enemies' to win a stage though. Sometimes there will be other objectives too which makes it more fun :D

Someone else has played Vandal Hearts :eek: ? Back to the subject in hand, Amazon UK shipped my copy of Pokemon Conquest today. I might get it by the weekend or failing that, early next week (at which point it will join increasing pile of unplayed games).

Apparently I've almost played 20 hours of Theatrhythm, which isn't bad considering I never play my 3DS when I'm in the house.

Some of the songs on Ultimate are actually pretty challenging, particularly BMS tracks. I have 4 characters on level 99 though so I can take quite a beating before failing out. Really is the most fun I've had with a Final Fantasy spin off, not sure why all the fan rage against it happened.

Installed Alpha Centauri on my laptop too and might give that a nostalgic whirl over the weekend.

Finally got all the weapons in Fable III, pain in the ass trading for them.

Waiting for Ultimate Edition of Fallout NV to arrive so been getting back into FFXIII-2. Not really sure why I stopped playing, the game is basic but enjoyable.

Years in the making, I have finally started my first ever playthrough of Persona 3, in the form of the PSP version downloaded on my Vita, having bought the game twice on PS2 and played some of the Saturn games in the mean time...

I like Yukari a lot more than I was expecting!

So I am told... also got P4G lined up on the Vita for when I'm finished, and then P4 Arena apparently has a 30-40 hour story mode... could be a while before I'm done. ^^;

Yeah P3 is good, but I never really stuck with it for very long. The structure of the one massive dungeon to grind through was just too soul crushing. P4 however, is a superior experience in nearly every regard. I got very close to completing P4 but fell at nearly the final hurdle, the grind required was still too brutal.

It does sound pretty long to get to the end, I actually don't rate my chances of finishing any of them too highly... but I need some help picking my main for P4A!

Back