What Games Are You Playing?

currently playing through tales of vesperia. its 'OK' quite good - but nothing special. i guess i'll go and finish it, i'm about 8 hours into it. does anyone know the overall play time of the game?

Far Cry 2. Okay, I still suck at using the sixaxis for FPS games. I thought it might have gotten better by now but no, it's still 'wobble around as though you're a drunk and fire a few shots with your pistol either side of their head while they fill you full of lead'.

This is a (ahem) far cry from the original Far Cry on the PC. I've taken to machine gunning people in the stomach, and as an PC FPS gamer who prides himself on lightning fast headshots that's just downright embarrassing.

Second run-through of Crysis Warhead having purchased over Steam this weekend, and having played through Crysis through on delta just before. I wondered what the fuss was about when I played the original first time last year. I'm surprised just how much depth the gameplay has on revisiting it, even if the AI just suddenly starts holidaying, as if it only just realised that the tropical setting would be more fun in sandals.

Paper Mache vehicles still suck immensely though, and even Warhead's much improved story is only 'much improved' because the original game's was so instantly forgettable. A real lesson in how not a write a potentially decent FPS story...

- so many bit players who get killed in almost well composed, would-be-emotional scenes before you've even been able to realise their existence
- a speaking player character with no personality whatsoever who speaks in cliches and even shouts the names of dying comrades, anime-style.
- a nearly completely male cast whose only significant woman character is trying so hard to be Alyx Vance it's painful.
- a backloaded story that leaves all its character development for the very last talky chapter. Ok, so it's actually kind of cool they wind down everything before the final onslaught, but with the utter lack of character development prior to this, and the relative briefness of the action in the chapter, it feels jarring.

I suppose it sucks a little from the view of racial harmony that the caricatured North Koreans are at the other end of the barrel, but it's nice not be shooting Germans or Russians for once or something.

Jonboy87 said:
currently playing through tales of vesperia. its 'OK' quite good - but nothing special. i guess i'll go and finish it, i'm about 8 hours into it. does anyone know the overall play time of the game?

Like 60 hours or so, I put 90+ into it, but most of the time I was doing side-quests for stupid gimmicky costumes.

Lupus said:
Jonboy87 said:

Like 60 hours or so, I put 90+ into it, but most of the time I was doing side-quests for stupid gimmicky costumes.

60 hours? I dunno, I'm starting to find the game bosses really hard, i'm in 'the fallen city, caer bocram' fighting that huge boss, i just can't beat him.

Btw, what do those 'Titles' mean in the character status . e.g Yuri has 'Downtown Boy', 'Basic Swordsman', 'Skilled Swordsman' etc, what do they do, I don't see any changes to him at all.... =/

i'm playing super smash bros brawl and animal crossing lets go to the city. on ds i'm playing to many to name. (unfortunatly none have any blood or gore in them because my parents diaspprove)

I'm addicted to melee weapons on Left 4 Dead 2 at the moment. It's so much god damn fun. The samurai sword basicly gives you unlimitted ways of chopping down the hoards of zombies. Also love the "prang" noise you get from crushing heads with a frying pan. Besides those I love The fire axe, chainsaw and guitar. So much blood, it's like an Al Gore family party!

cardybean said:
Er... Enjoying it?

-----

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising.

What an absolute bastard of a game (and I mean that in the most flattering sense). Forget any other military FPS. This is war, and despite not having the original developers on board it more than lives up to the Flashpoint name*. Not knowing where the hell the enemy are, having to keep your head and direct your troops in the heat of battle, calling out in vain for the dead medic as you writhe on the ground, the life slowly draining from your body, or simply taking a single shot to the head and watching the screen click immediately to black. This isn't gonna be easy, but they want a war? I'll give them a war they won't believe.

*MOST. OVERLY. DRAMATIC. INTRO. EVER. ASIDE.

cardybean said:
ayase said:
cardybean said:
Er... Enjoying it?
Yeah, Manaka Kiryu is my favourite character, I love the bits with her in. Have you played it?
Noo... not really my thing. I'm a fan of consent even in fantasies personally (which seems to be at odds with... most of Japan) but hey, it's not doing any harm. Just thought I'd ask what with it being so infamous.

ayase said:
cardybean said:
ayase said:
cardybean said:
Er... Enjoying it?
Yeah, Manaka Kiryu is my favourite character, I love the bits with her in. Have you played it?
Noo... not really my thing. I'm a fan of consent even in fantasies personally (which seems to be at odds with... most of Japan) but hey, it's not doing any harm. Just thought I'd ask what with it being so infamous.

I also thought I'd never like stuff like Rapelay tbh. But when my friend showed me it, well, I just never turned back. If you give it a proper go you'll see why it's so good =).

Wild ARMS 4, never played a Wild ARMS before and I'm fully aware of this being the black sheep of the series which everyone hates, but so far it's honestly been alright, about three hours in, I wish I could have started this four months ago and not Star Ocean: TLH.

Also found my old copy of Silent Hill which I will now try and complete, there's a lot of PS2 games I want which I never played and the Silent Hill series is on my list.

i've been playing the Torchlight demo recently, and all i can say is that it is awesome! :D

also does anyone know any good ps1 emulators? i have one on my PC, but it won't play Blood Omen properly :(

Back