What Games Are You Playing?

I've been playing Saints Row IV for the past few days. I like the change that this game went through in comparison to The Third. It's easier but feels homey in a way, loving the sci-fi setting especially.

Not sure where to put this, but I found Shin Megami x Fire Emblem on Amazon for pre-order. Wasn't this game not announced for localisation? I generally don't know much about the latest Wii U news but this is interesting.

The game has no information whatsoever. We don't know what happens with it, we don't know when it'll hit or how it'll play. It's "still on schedule". It will be getting localised, Nintendo are at the helm, but it's when. We'll have to wait and see with it all.

Playing Rage on my PC, something my Brother bought when it came out but I never got round to.

Any game that lets me carry 7-8 weapons with 2-4 ammo types per weapon is onto a winner

I finished Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII last night and found the ending had a powerful emotional impact on me. I really enjoyed revisiting the world and characters. I'm going to start on Star Ocean First Departure.

Genkina Hito said:
I finished Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII last night and found the ending had a powerful emotional impact on me. I really enjoyed revisiting the world and characters. I'm going to start on Star Ocean First Departure.

I played Crisis Core when I still lived at home and I was in a room with my mom and sister, I had to leave the room because I was starting to leak some strange fluid from my eyes and getting weird looks off them. I knew what the ending would be but I had no idea how powerful the effect would be, Zack was such an awesome and likeable character, much better than Cloud imo. The whole final battle and the malfunctioning battle systems as Zack was overcome followed by "Would you say I became a hero?" I just completely melted

Bought a few games in Steam sale. STarted Borderlands 2 GOTY edition. Not sure if this game is for me, it's funny as hell but the loot system is off putting. Just got claptraps ship back so i'll give it a few hours and decide whether to pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another victim of Crisis Core here. I played the JP version on a flight and was in floods of tears at the end - fortunately I don't think anyone around me noticed as it was a dark cabin. I hope.

Uhh on topic I guess I'm playing Gyakuten Yoshiwara lately? >_>;

R

The ending reminded me of Halo Reach but while that one was bleak and macho, Crisis Core drew on a much richer range of emotions. I cared about the characters and the world. Everything from the escape from Shinra Manor part had a melancholy feel and the e-mails and cut-scenes kept working on me and the final battle with all of the memories replaying... I just wanted Cloud and Zack to ride off into the sunset...

I was alone in my room but someone did enter, thankfully just before the waterworks started.

Well, I've decided to play a Parasite Eve game so I've got The 3rd Birthday ready to rock now.

I've stopped playing Borderlands 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Donkey Kong Country: Returns

HEard so many good things about this, and if the rest of the game is as good as the first world im in for a treat.

I finished The 3rd Birthday which was a bit of a let-down. I've got the Twisted Edition and the concept art is fantastic, very atmospheric apocalyptic stuff but the game didn't manage to capture it. It's less to do with the console and more to do with the hackneyed story, uneven tone and dull combat. I never got a sense of the scale of the disaster or its impact on people. The game mechanics are solid but the combat was dull and I rushed through the ending. At least I got a maid costume. I also got to see the infamous shower scene...

Right, the next game I'm going to play is Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology.

I finally hooked up my old Mega Drive and spent Sunday playing Mickey and Donald's World of Illusion on 2 player co-op.

I loved that game as a kid and it still stands the test of time as a great platformer, albeit a little short in duration.

I tried to re-play The Lion King but after nearly throwing the pad and calling Simba every name under the sun I gave up on the 2nd level. I've had this game almost 20 years and I still can't get far enough as to play as adult Simba (yes I suck). Seriously the hardest game i've played next to Zelda II.

So I decided to play the original Theme Park :)

Hahaha, that sounds sick! The only time I've done something similar in the last few years was when I finally got around to buying a Saturn, and also playing Jet Force Gemini on the N64. Playing some of those 32bit platformers again sounds ace though.

ilmaestro said:
Hahaha, that sounds sick! The only time I've done something similar in the last few years was when I finally got around to buying a Saturn, and also playing Jet Force Gemini on the N64. Playing some of those 32bit platformers again sounds ace though.

I really love going back every few years and re-discovering consoles from my youth. I finally finished Zelda II last year (over 20 years after my dad bought me the original golden cartridge) and it was the single greatest moment of my gaming life lol.

I had a Saturn too but I can't remember many games for it other than Dark Savior. I think I fell out with it after it went under just under a year after I chose Sega over a Playstation for Christmas lol.

Nearly finished World 7 of Donkey Kong Country Returns. Really enjoyed my time with this game, even if some of the levels had me pulling my hair out due to the trial and error nature or the rocket barrel! Great game, sublime level design.

Played a bit of Wolfenstein: New Order at a friend's place the other day.

While I never tried the previous installment (heard it was pretty bad), I was a big fan of Return to Castle Wolfenstein back in the day, so I was a bit concerned when I saw how far they seemed to be pushing the fantasy elements in this one. In practice, however, it works very well, perhaps due to them playing it with an absolutely straight face. I would have appreciated a little more variety in the weapons, but that aside, I thought the gameplay was very solid too, being a gleeful secret-finding, health-collecting, dual-rifle-wielding pie in the face for CoD and its ilk. Between the retro-future aesthetic and the level of optional interaction with your environment, it actually reminded me a lot of No One Lives Forever, albeit not played quite so much for laughs.

Giving Killzone Shadowfall a go.

The world is well realised and it's probably one of the best looking games on PS4 - but it feels weird playing it after years of only COD as my go-to console shooter. It's a lot harder, for starters, with no aim assists and intelligent enemy AI. Kind of reminds me a little of Half Life in places, with enemies making good use of positioning to flank you. There's platforming style bits like Half Life did so well too - where you'll have a 'break' level where you have to jump big gaps/avoid getting crushed.

Playing and loving Super Mario Galaxy 2. My first experience with the game and it's glorious so far. Got about 75% of the way through Wario Land: The Shake DImension beforehand, but got a bit bored of the gameplay.

Back