What do you want from your Animeuknews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I have ten minutes before having to do something so will comment on the post counting thread (the big one - I think the smaller forum games can be addressed with the post counts switched off for them and a review later to see if people are happy).

To explain why *I* don't like the big thread, which is entirely my perspective as a poster and not as an admin, I will add some remarks in an effort to help understanding. As an admin my process is to collect more opinions and discuss with the other mods, so don't take this as anything official - it isn't. And I'm posting it to get more opinions from the users, so by all means comment!

Why Rui as a person doesn't like That Thread:

1. It's cliquey. I can dive in anywhere else and feel like I'm in the Anime UK News forums. I feel that that thread is a closed group with its own community distinct from the rest of the forum and honestly, I don't feel as though everyone is welcome. It's often used to talk about other members and community happenings too, in a closed circle. I appreciate that this sounds rude, but as a user of the site I don't really like that atmosphere even though it's a friendly, chatty place overall.
2. The counting game doesn't seem related to its current function.
3. It takes a lot of anime discussion out of the rest of the forum and into that closed community - I read that thread every day despite only having posted there once, and there's a lot of great anime discussion sometimes. I can't help but feel that if the thread had never existed, that discussion would be in the community and starting some fun topics, instead of being in the post counting thread which hardly anyone ever looks at. This is an awkward thing for me to say as there's no guarantee that obliterating that forum as some people have requested is going to bring that discussion into the community either. It might just disappear. I definitely don't think we should kill that outlet of discussion for those who enjoy it, I just wish it would be shared around more!

Other people don't like that it's spammy and increases post count, but the latter we might be able to fix and that might resolve some of the former problem for most members.

-The counting part is completely meaningless and nothing to do with the content of the thread. Someone (apologies, I have forgotten) tried to explain that it stops so many people coming in and keeps the thread fun, but even as chat the counting feels disjointed and in the way.
-The site chat page is good but doesn't replace the need for the thread as some people can't use the chat at work in their breaks but still want to talk.
-Previous complaints have been that discussing things outside of that "hidden" circle is difficult due to trolling etc. Now that we have a moderation team, is there any potential for that to be easier?
-Would a "Clubhouse" (yeah it's not a cool name, being cool isn't my job) sticky thread in Random serve the same purpose, with the post counting left to the Forum Games category and the chat allowed to grow separately be of interest?

If that happened, and I'm not sure that the post count thread members will agree with my reasoning at all, we could monitor the forum games category better and see how used it actually is. Then down the line we can revisit whether it's serving a purpose. I don't think at this point we should just be removing things that are genuinely being used by a lot of active, contributing members, without carefully considering how to make things work better.

Am I on the right track with this summary?

R

We already have future plans for the AMV forum, so it won't be going anyway for a while.

Though AMV's will be a secondary use for it.

And please don't go around calling over members stupid this is a suggestions thread not a "belittle other members you dislike thread"

Rui said:
1. It's cliquey. I can dive in anywhere else and feel like I'm in the Anime UK News forums. I feel that that thread is a closed group with its own community distinct from the rest of the forum and honestly, I don't feel as though everyone is welcome. It's often used to talk about other members and community happenings too, in a closed circle. I appreciate that this sounds rude, but as a user of the site I don't really like that atmosphere even though it's a friendly, chatty place overall.

2. The counting game doesn't seem related to its current function.

3. It takes a lot of anime discussion out of the rest of the forum and into that closed community - I read that thread every day despite only having posted there once, and there's a lot of great anime discussion sometimes. I can't help but feel that if the thread had never existed, that discussion would be in the community and starting some fun topics, instead of being in the post counting thread which hardly anyone ever looks at. This is an awkward thing for me to say as there's no guarantee that obliterating that forum as some people have requested is going to bring that discussion into the community either. It might just disappear. I definitely don't think we should kill that outlet of discussion for those who enjoy it, I just wish it would be shared around more!

Rui you know i respect your opinions and being a regular poster in the count to a million thread i'd like to take a few minutes to just clear up any illusions.

Right. im sorry that people feel the count to a million thread is a "closed group" its really not.....the place was somewhere i used to post numbers in...not to bump my post count. to be honest a post count is completely irrelivant to me, but it was a small thing to just take that time away from work....you must know what i mean...when your having a really stressful day....or its dragging something chronic....you want a place to go....to just get away from that. and the count to a million thread was that place.
after a while afew members started posting and having mild convo's. just because some people are regular posters in that thread....doesn't make us a 'tight knit group who scare off people' were all friendly people who talk about life and anime hand in hand. if you came to this website simply to look at anime and manga....and not to talk to fellow fans...then there wouldn't be a forum in the first place would there?

I think the reason people are negative towards the thread and its regular posters is because they don't understand that that thread is no different to any other....you all talk in threads...as we are right now...what makes that thread so different is that its a regularly posted in thread...and i feel some members might feel abit annoyed or upset even that they are being imposed on or that their being shut out. however they are greatly mistaken....like i said...were not a group....we joked about being "the breakfast club"....but has anyone noticed that if it really was a breakfast group....it wouldn't last all working day would it? im not trying to provoke a responce....i just want to get some people to open their minds abit...were not causing any harm....were not plotting to take over the world or something....so there shouldn't be a problem with a few friends talking to pass the day

Tachi- said:
Right. im sorry that people feel the count to a million thread is a "closed group" its really not.....the place was somewhere i used to post numbers in...not to bump my post count. to be honest a post count is completely irrelivant to me, but it was a small thing to just take that time away from work....you must know what i mean...when your having a really stressful day....or its dragging something chronic....you want a place to go....to just get away from that. and the count to a million thread was that place.
after a while afew members started posting and having mild convo's. just because some people are regular posters in that thread....doesn't make us a 'tight knit group who scare off people' were all friendly people who talk about life and anime hand in hand. if you came to this website simply to look at anime and manga....and not to talk to fellow fans...then there wouldn't be a forum in the first place would there?

I'm not getting at you, just a quick list of things I don't understand:

1. If it's not a closed group at all, why is it necessary to hide it away there and not have an inclusive "Clubhouse" style chat thread in the more suitable chit chat forum here?

2. I never said anyone there wasn't friendly. The cliquey atmosphere is not inclusive, that is my personal opinion as a user. I like a lot of the members who post in that thread and one of my complaints with that thread existing is that some never even post outside it any more - I miss you guys! I want to know why that is, and how we can change it if that's a possibility.

R

That wasn't directly at you Rui.
my aim was to help people who may feel that the "club" doesn't welcome others....just trying to cut out any suspicion.

Okay there's a chatroom....which is all well and good. me and black spoke about it whilst in the chat. its a very good idea. but the 3 times i've logged in today...there was nobody in there....and i come onto the forums and see people are talking in the general anime section and the count to a million thread (right can i use an acronym please as count to a million thread is starting to annoy me....CTAMT)

the convo's in the CTAMT are like face to face convo's...they can lead to any subject. so it'd be an inconvenience to stop the convo and pick it up in another thread.

taking away post counts to that forum is probably the way forward....thinking about it...

I don't like it because, quite simply, I'd rather the people who bother counting to *insert number* put their efforts into talking about anime instead in order to keep the forum flowing. I went in the thread and said this in the past, but the posters briefly started talking about anme in that thread instead. Some people just don't get it.

I mean, look at Tachi. How many posts have been worthwhile out of his 4000? I can't actually remember him posting outside of the random chat and spam forum. His post count is artificial because he's added very little as an anime/manga poster. And that's true of many others who frequent that forum and have high post counts, such as Mononoke, who seems to think it's ok to post posts with a couple of words anywhere on the site, possibly because the spam forum gave her the wrong idea.

I've actually grown to dislike many of the posters from that section. Voddas has recently tried, from to time to time, to actually post in the anime forum, but at one point I looked down upon him because of how little he added besides spam. That forums existence pulls in people to the forum who don't want to post about anime, spammers (remember the guy who spammed to 700 posts quick?) and people with worse grammar and spelling than my uneducated self. So, in short, I instinctively assume consistent spam forum posters are worthless.

I think, aside from deletion, there are two solutions to this: Do what Jimmy said and disable post counts from that forum, or, if one isn't already in existence, create and promote an AUKN chat room. At the very least, people who only post to get 4000 posts should stop after they discover posting in that forum would add nothing to their post counts.

An AUKN chat room (if there is one no-one knows about it?) would be a good idea. It wouldn't be for me as I don't like to feel the need to give an instant reply and would find the conversations meaningless. However, many on this forum would enjoy it, and it'd stop the spam conversations.

Edit: Just noticed the 'Chat' button at the top right of the screen. Now I'm even more confused as to why members insist on using forum posts in order to have chat room conversations...

thankyou for the spotlight Aion. a shame that im not at 4000 posts though,
i used to post rather regularly about anime and manga ....you were banned for being a horrible tyrant at the time in question so i forgive you for not knowing.

if you look at my previous posts before spouting...i, along with others have adopted a liking to the CTAMT simply because its a mini escape from the harsh reality of working life.
i like you. you make me laugh...rather alot infact. but come on...were all (hopefully) adult enough to talk about something and find a solution.

I too am a seasoned poster in the "Million thread". To be honest, I don't care muh for the counting or the other game threads. I don't think I'd miss them if they were gone. All I have to say in support of the "Big thread", is that there are people on these forums between particar times in the day. It just so happens that we gathered there to chat about whatever was on our minda at the time. If we made a new thread for every subject we spoke about in there then you'd be looking at a hella lot of random threads.
If the "Count" thread disapeared, I wouldn't think it would be the end of the world but what's to stop the same people talking in another thread that ended up resulting in thousands of posts? All I'm saying is that it was just a place to talk imo. I can talk alsewhere if it's causing so much grief.
;)

"3900 rounded is 4000."

Well i'll be damned :lol:
there's me thinking you'd be premeditating my posts...knowing the exact post count...you know....being a self proclaimed superior being and all that jazz.

Aion...if the post counts don't count in the CTAMT would that be fine with you? will you stop moaning then?

The pandering to the people that want to keep the forum games section is frustrating. Getting rid of it is a good idea; it will increase productivity and help to sustain intelligent and mature members. There has been no adequate counter-argument to this, and yet the admins are still walking on eggshells trying to be ridiculously democratic and sensitive about it. If people want to chat, they can use the "chat" application or the "How are you?" and "what are you doing now?" threads in Random Chit-Chat. As Aion said, posters like Tachi- have artificially huge post counts, even though they've contributed next to nothing to the forum. And those kinds of threads and that entire forum in general only encourage that kind of silly behaviour.

If people want to discuss music in depth, they'll find music-specific forums. There is no need to try and compete with those forums by having our own entire sub-section dedicated to that subject. The Moves and TV forum does not get so much activity that adding music to it would overwhelm that forum. There is no justification for a separate music forum.

Tachi: No, because you'd still be adding nothing to the forum as an anime/manga poster. Worthless posts are worthless, with or without numbers attached to them.

I need one you lot to explain why you can't just use the AUKN chatroom for your random chatter (damn you for being awkward, Voddas ;___;). I don't see how posting on a forum, with lengthy time gaps in between replies, is good for a normal, not well thought out in advance conversation?

To be honest, I don't care a huge amount about this issue. It's just there to be commented on and I decided to comment. Removing the rubbish posts won't increase the amount of decent anime/manga posts.

Voddas said:
If the "Count" thread disapeared, I wouldn't think it would be the end of the world but what's to stop the same people talking in another thread that ended up resulting in thousands of posts? All I'm saying is that it was just a place to talk imo. I can talk alsewhere if it's causing so much grief.

People don't use the counting thread for talking. Looking at the past 10 pages of it proves that. And there are already 2 threads in Random that deal with casual chat, as well as a dedicated chat application. The only reason anyone wants that dreadful forum to stay is so they can save face or continue to abuse it to get high post counts.

Voddas said:
;)

Voddas/Tachi: What are your thoughts on the "Clubhouse" idea for the thread?

The reason I suggest this is it gets around the problems some of the users have with Chat on their systems when they're at work, and it will also be less "hidden away " and cliquey if it's an open chat that shy users can join in with without sleuthing. Plus it fits perfectly in to the concept of the Random Chit Chat forum and separates out the counting game and empty posts which upset people. Hopefully some will gravitate to the Chat if possible :)

CG: I stand by my decision to make sure the majority are happy before doing something that will upset a lot of users. We'll keep an eye on Music as per your comments and see how things go as a separate issue (and I'll revisit the earlier ideas later when I am at home and can talk in real time to the boss).

R

CitizenGeek said:
People don't use the counting thread for talking. Looking at the past 10 pages of it proves that. And there are already 2 threads in Random that deal with casual chat, as well as a dedicated chat application. The only reason anyone wants that dreadful forum to stay is so they can save face or continue to abuse it to get high post counts.
That maybe true for some members however if you lOok at my posts in that thread, you'll notice that I always post a comment.

Also, I don't freaking care about post counts. I don't feel like I'm abusing posts either :S If there was a way of chatting at work with out posting I would gladly do it.
:roll:

EDIT/ Sorry Rui, didn't see your post there. If it means that people will stop complaining about us chatting then I'm happy to go with the "Clubhouse" idea. Won't make any difference to me.

It's not like we'd have actually counted to a million like. :lol:

lol okay fine. carry on your harping on....i'd love to know how i'm mean to "pandering around" it sounds relaxing. mybe if your on msn tonight we can have a chat about it.

Aion. i do use the chat. but nobodies online....must be internet problems.
^_^ i'll talk about anime....once i've watched anime. same with manga....manga is expensive so i haven't bought anything since i went through deathnote. bleach and M.A.R, started on afew others (candidate for goddess, battle royale to name a few) but can't go spending £20+ quid for a couple of manga volumes....thats why i wait for 3 for 2 season at WH smiths and waterstones. i made a thread about upcoming local events at waterstones last year just incase someone was interested.
thank god Full metal alchemist id going for £10 a dvd at HMV. £140 for a whole anime 53 or 54 series and a film sounds good to me.
i'd love to talk more about anime...but as you know...anime is an expensive thing to get into...so i watch what i can when i can. i don't watch anime online, i don't own any bootlegs and i don't read manga online anymore....i used to with bleach because the manga is so brilliant. but i gave up as i prefer to have a hard copy, its more practicle.

so please understand that
1 i would like to talk more about anime but i need to buy more to do that...and i don't have a space account with shedloads of money to go do that....so i wait and build it.
2 if i do talk about anime there's a chance someone will hound me about it....."oh you know nothing...why the hell bother?"

that explain enough?

CitizenGeek said:
ridiculously democratic

Yes, democracy is overrated to the extreme. What we, the AUKN members, need right now is a dictator to sort this mess out (and ban people, myself included). I vote for CitizenGeek.

It's true that Chaos/Rui have been indecisive, but I prefer that to them following the lead other people, such as the creator of HUKD. In case you don't know what I'm on about, the HUKD creator changed the entire site layout, without warning, and then refused to listen when everyone asked him to change the site back. He even created a thread telling everyone, in something like 10 paragraphs, that their opinions didn't matter and only his did. PHD or not, I've never encountered such an **** anywhere else.

Please don't let this turn into a big flame war with people baiting one another until I go on a crazed banning spree. I find that I listen best to users who post like adults. Most people are being fine, even the people with extreme views, but I'm not liking the undercurrents that are cropping up.

This post is warning that once again, personal attacks and spiteful comments are not welcome. Particularly in a thread which the entire moderator team is watching.

R

Right, i don't believe i've actually said anything on the subject as of yet, and i think i may as well make my voice heard now.

The Chat Room has been a great idea, and so far, somewhat decent going, we've had the better part of 10 people on there a few times since it was set up, ok thats only a select few of the forum members that frequent the site, but its still something none the less. Ok, i can understand where you're coming from Tachi-, but keep in mind a lot of members of the forum are either in education, or at work, so access to the internet is somewhat limited, so during the day most generally, the place is next to empty. I know for a fact that during the evening the place becomes a lot more talkative, and we've had a fair few good conversations going there, so it maybe a case of going on there in that time period.

Otherwise, i'm going to agree with Rui's idea for a "Clubhouse" style thread, that way, any conversations people wish to have which they can't on the chat room due to restrictions at work or where ever, can still have them, but in a place designed for it. It would not only clear up the Million post count thread, but would make a fair few forum members happier.

Post counts, i believe should stay, they do no harm whatsoever, but if some do want something dealt with when it comes to them, i'm sure disabling posts counting from the forum games section will help things a fair bit.

I'm personally not sure what to do with the forum games section, i've hardly ever gone near the section bar the very odd occasion i find myself with nothing to do, and even then, its only the anime character guessing game i like, as it properly suits the "forum games" sub-forum, but thats just me.

The rest of the forums at present are fine, i don't really see the need to change the layout of them anymore after all that has been done. I think we could leave it as is for the time being and see how everyone deals with it, which i expect will be without a problem..mostly anyway.

The Gamers Paradise and forum games do seem a little too close in name than need to be, Maybe if you just add "video" to Gamers Paradise, that would sort the problems out straight away, as it would immediately be understood as computer games.

And with that....i think thats all i have to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back