What do you want from your Animeuknews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of interest, what are you talking about? I used Tachi as example to back up what I was saying because I just so happened to see his post in this thread. That's the reason I didn't to get into an argument with him when he responded, not pleased with what I said. You're being over-protective if I can't even back up my points by using others as examples.

Also, since someone insulted me elsewhere about it, I'd just like to make something crystal clear: I'm not "licking CitizenGeek's ****." It's true I'm being far more friendly towards him, and have been for awhile now, but that's because I saw how childish it was to continue bickering like women constantly. And I'm only supporting what he said because I agree with most of it -- it just so happens we share the same opinions when it comes to how to improve the forum because, like I've said, in many respects we are (sadly) similar.

If you ask me if I like him the answer would be no -- I'd say he's opinionated, obstinate, argumentative, spiteful and likes pulling words out the dictionary in an attempt to make himself look more intelligent. And he'd probably be as complimentary about me if he was asked. However, my thoughts about him don't stop me agreeing with him when he's right. It's childish to believe people who don't like each other cannot agree every once in awhile.

With that said, I'm done with this thread. It's becoming too serious for a thread dealing with wheher or not the spam section should be removed. Do it, don't do it -- I won't be happy or cry myself to sleep either way. Just do us a favour and do SOMETHING now that people have expressed their opinions.

CitizenGeek said:
Those kind of forums attract stupid, or young, members. Neither of which are good for the forum. Stupid members (like that absurd deathnote_holder, for example) disrupt the harmony of the forum. Young members rarely stick around and dumb down the forum. And when sophisticated and mature members do find this site, they are most certainly repulsed by the childishness and massive stupidity that is the "Ever enduring forum games" sub-forum and the crowd that attracts. If you want this forum to go nowhere, to attract low attention span youngsters and simple-minded annoyances that won't stick around, all the while completely and utterly turning off potential long-term, mature members, then by all means keep the sub-forum in the interest of appeasing the simpletons that use it. But that is most certainly not what I want from AUKN.

Sadly CG, when I spoke to Chaos the other day, i'd had a warning for potentially scaring off a new member. I used some sarcasm, that is all, but his justification was 'People may not have the common sense to post what anime they like'. Oh by the way, said person hasnt returned to the forum yet. But I could understand, we dont want to put off members right? But, I ask what a member with no common sense can contribute to this forum?

Also; I hate to say this but, we moan about a lack of Anime Discussion, but the problem is, its rare that we're all watching the same series at once. Eg; I'm watching Full Metal Panic and Gundam Wing at the moment and I would frickin' LOVE to chat to others about it but, I know if I made a topic I wouldnt get much in reply. So, I just dont bother making one. It would be easier if we all watched the same show, but, it's not gonna happen. It will only happen if we watch something as its aired in Japan. That gives us like a week to watch the episode, and discuss it.

So, how can we encourage Anime discussion? I've gave my reason for being put off.

Also, its true. This site is now Democracy to the extreme. I've seen many forums die when Admin has changed and they've got into a hardcore democracy. From what i've seen, a few of us have got warnings off of the admin for silly little offences that are just in our personality.

Chaos is a great guy, I chat to him on msn sometimes, but I feel he's made too many changes too soon. I don't feel he's being a wonderful Admin. Truth is, though people moaned about the Count to a Million thread before when Paul was admin, but it wasn't really a problem. Paul done nothing about it, becuase nothing needed doing. I dont post there anymore, and frankly I dont care about it. I rarely, if ever, visit that forum anymore.

I guess though, we're now a site that says "You dont need common sense to join". What am I to expect? Maybe it's time I look for a new Anime forum. I know many of you may hold a grudge against me because, I confess, this post count is pretty artificial, I would love to chat more about anime, and as Aion points out regularly, there just isn't any here.

I don't care much for the counting thread and the games section. I occasionally view the "anime character guessing game with pictures" thread, but I've got nothing against that subforum. I don't see much point in it anyone though, especially now we've got that new chat room (which is active quite alot).

Spyro201 said:
I'm watching Full Metal Panic and Gundam Wing at the moment and I would frickin' LOVE to chat to others about it but, I know if I made a topic I wouldnt get much in reply. So, I just dont bother making one.

Heh, you should try :p I'd like to speak about fmp if anyone else wanted to, and I know that there is already a fmp thread with a fair number of posts.

CitizenGeek said:
Young members rarely stick around and dumb down the forum.

Wew! Are you really like this or is it just an act? I never knew there was such fascism! Nor did I know that there was a strict rule against young people posting on a forum.. It's odd, I always thought anyone was welcome here, no matter their age and iq- You'd definitely be a great admin! And fyi: I'd class the majority of the members on this forum as young..

The good people of the counting thread have now made their own random chit chat thread for the conversations that aren't suitable for the site chat room due to technical/preference reasons. So the traffic in forum games should settle down very quickly and we can go back to calmly discussing pruning and tidying, I hope.

To do:

We will look at disabling post counts for the forum games if it persists as a problem. Leaving this until we have more of an idea of usage now there have been changes.

The gaming forum will get a neater name soon (I think Gaming might be better than Video Games purely because the tiny group here who play 40k etc might want to talk about that in there and that wouldn't be a problem really). Also, if the boss is ok with it I'll try to tidy up the one liner descriptions too quickly later - they're a bit out of date in some cases. Done.

Ryo's already fielded the AMVs forum question. Work in progress.

Music/movies and a possible merge can be looked at down the line when the dust has settled and we have a more reasonable idea of how frequently they're both used. Comments have been noted.Leaving this until we have a better idea of usage, again.

Introductions. This one got buried before aside from CG and I exchanging ideas briefly but what do people think about making it a sticky in Random in future and letting our profiles/shoutboxes do the rest? Or do you have strong feelings about keeping Introductions? This is hopefully a less inflammatory topic and some more input would be helpful.

I think it's quite nice to have the historical Introductions forum there, but most people seem to disappear so I'm not sure how valuable it is. Another wait and see, but open to discussion.

R

Spyro201 said:
Chaos is a great guy, I chat to him on msn sometimes, but I feel he's made too many changes too soon. I don't feel he's being a wonderful Admin. Truth is, though people moaned about the Count to a Million thread before when Paul was admin, but it wasn't really a problem. Paul done nothing about it, becuase nothing needed doing. I dont post there anymore, and frankly I dont care about it. I rarely, if ever, visit that forum anymore.

I agree with this.
I like Chaos, and would love to see him continue leading AUKN forward but I think he has done a bit too much since becomming leader.
I think the increased moderation is good; but I think where Paul sometimes could've been criticized for not doing anything, this situation has gone to the other extreme, where stuff is being changed where there is no need.

Because of it, people are also asking for more change. Personally I don't see there being a problem with the site as it is now. We have a relatively small, but dedicated, user-base and that's all there needs to be. The majority of us have stuck around long enough without change under Paul and new users seem to be happy with the site the way it is. If it 'aint broken, don't fix it.

And about CG's point about people being "repulsed" by a forum; I find that idea ludicrous. I assume the Ever enduring forum games was here when you first joined? If it was that repulsive why did you bother joining? Surely, by your logic, you wouldn't have even bothered joining the site.
If you don't like it, don't go near it. It's as simple as that.

Your point about attracting new, "sophisticated and mature" members is quite redundant too when we already have a good number of users and we still regularly gain new member. Agreed that not all are the sort we want on the site. But we do get new members who prove to be intelligent and add to the site. Case point is Zin5ki. He's not been a member long but I feel he's already proved his worth on the site and i'd like to see him stick around.

Oh and finally a note about post counts (yes it's the wrong thread); I think they have little real worth. Again I reckon there's no point changing them as theres no problem with them. But anyone who really cares about their post count and what it represents needs to get out more.

EDIT// and I apologize to Rui for posting this after that conclusion. If you think it'll cause more unnecessary conflict delete or edit it.

(This IS my last post. Honest!)

A good admin is one who changes things for the better. A bad admin is one who does nothing, sitting idly because it's too much trouble. So, from my perspective, going on the time I've spent here, Chaos is a better admin than Paul. Paul might have been far more active in the past, listening to what people said, but that wasn't the case from the point I joined until now.

And, like I said, democracy is far better than dictatorship. Sometimes it's better for there to be a leader who listens only to him or herself, but for the most part it works out better when the views of many are thought of as equal. In this situation it would've been better just to do the obvious and tidy up the forum, but I can understand why Chaos, a new admin unsure of himself, thought it best to let others decide. It has made him come across as a little weak but that's better than making the entire forum unhappy by doing something without warning.

As for the newbie bashing, I can understand where Chaos is coming from, just like I could understand where Paul was coming from when he warned me about it. However, when I do it I mean no harm and, in my own way, I'm being friendly...as well as testing out the new member. In my mind, if the new member isn't smart enough to put a sentence together, or is unable to sense the sarcasm coming from me, then he/she isn't worth any time. It isn't as if I enter their threads and swear at them. It's difficult to be overly friendly to new members when 90% make a thread, get some attention and leave within a week.

But, once again, I don't think Chaos was wrong to warn me. He supposedly had complaints about me (already) and, in an attempt to make others happy and better the forum, he thought it best to give me a final warning. I can't see how it'd help the forum if I was banned but I can see that he was only attempting to improve the forum by being diplomatic. Paul, on the other hand, hadn't been here to do anything for months, and Rui is too nice to ban someone without a serious reason.

Anyway, back on track...

Chaos mentioned adding a shoutbox in the spam forum and I feel he's found the perfect solution to our problems. On another forum I posted on, it had a shoutbox and it worked really well, creating a bridge between the forum and the sites chat room. It was always used (at the bottom of the forum, above the stats) and probably cut down on spam a lot. I don't know why it never crossed my mind. If Chaos does anything then he should, 100%, replace the spam forum with a shoutbox.

...however, I can't end on a positive note because a new spam thread has been stickied in the random chat forum. I don't see how allowing users to spam outside of the spam forum solves anything. If that's going to be the solution then it's an idiotic one.

Spyro and Yagami, there are a fair few FMP fans such as myself that would gladly discuss FMP with you. You can't expect people to discuss anything if you don't even post.

And yes Rui, I think the Introductions should be made into a sticky in Random Chit-Chat.

Thanks guys for the better quality of communication, it's much appreciated after that dodgy moment earlier.

Aion said:
...however, I can't end on a positive note because a new spam thread has been stickied in the random chat forum. I don't see how allowing users to spam outside of the spam forum solves anything. If that's going to be the solution then it's an idiotic one.

It's random chit chat, and it's in the random chit chat forum. The counting has been left in the forum games area for the time being and those who want to chat but can't due to the technical limitations of a chat facility are going to talk whether they have somewhere or not. It's no more out of place than anything else in random chit chat, such as biscuit threads, desktop comparisons or recent purchases.

They do talk about anime most days so it might be worth peeking in there once they get going too. If something better appears (like a shoutbox that works for everyone as you suggest) and the chat thread falls into disuse then that's fine.

In the meantime it's a lot easier to figure out which forums are working well for people when the right things are in the right places. And I can live with the double insult of being described as nice and doing an idiotic thing in the same post ;)

R

...what the hell happened here? I'm thankful I don't have the capacity or inclination to write at length about such inconsequential matters.

Good job chaos and anyone else who's been involved in tidying the place up. It already looks a lot better. As soon as I actually get around to watching some anime, which is proving to be a more difficult a task than one would imagine, I'll be contributing more to the forum than shallow platitudes.

(This IS my last post. Deadly seriously.)

Good people can do stupid things, y'know. Kind people lead with their emotions, letting it cloud their judgement, and bad people don't care about anyone or anything other than number one. I should know, after all. :)

As for the thread you stuck to the top of the random chat forum, another problem has been created by its existence. What's the point of having a single thread that covers every topic that could be created in the forum? The answer is that there isn't a point. If that thread is going to exist, why not delete random chat and move the thread to general anime?

...oh, and also, the reason all thse suggestions are being made isn't because Chaos is open to suggestions; it's because the forum needs changing. Paul did a bad job when he created and ordered the forums, never fixing the problems. It had been the way it was for long enough.

Aion said:
As for the thread you stuck to the top of the random chat forum, another problem has been created by its existence. What's the point of having a single thread that covers every topic that could be created in the forum? The answer is that there isn't a point. If that thread is going to exist, why not delete random chat and move the thread to general anime?
Because some things in Random Chit-Chat are serious enough to have proper discussion, such as recent world news and the like, and would be inapproriate to put into a thread that's made up of casual conversation.

That doesn't change the fact that every thread in the forum could go into the new thread, which isn't good. It's the same as creating a general anime discussion in the anime forum.

Aion said:
That doesn't change the fact that every thread in the forum could go into the new thread, which isn't good. It's the same as creating a general anime discussion in the anime forum.
That's just it. "Could" doesn't mean people will put every single non-anime discussion into one thread.

I have seen chat threads in forums like Random Chit-Chat. Go to the Ctrl+Alt+Del forums and you'll see that Casual Chat threads work within a sub-forum unrelated to a site's main content.

Maxon said:
Spyro and Yagami, there are a fair few FMP fans such as myself that would gladly discuss FMP with you. You can't expect people to discuss anything if you don't even post.

And yes Rui, I think the Introductions should be made into a sticky in Random Chit-Chat.

I'm only on lik ep 5, not worth it yet.

And my point was, its generally pointless. The thread would last a few days, then die. If that.

Spyro201 said:
Maxon said:

I'm only on lik ep 5, not worth it yet.

And my point was, its generally pointless. The thread would last a few days, then die. If that.

Thats the same with most topics, however. Not every topic will have a bajillion things to talk about, and as such, will die out eventually, but it still gives something to talk about, and not only that, it makes the anime sections of the forum more active, so its generally a win-win scenario.

Also, i much prefer the way the chat topic is now, that way its seperate from everything else. And i don't see it disrupting any other topics outwith and in the Random Chit-Chat sub-forum, i think it'll be more or less the same as usual, just with one extra topic at the top.

Right we've plenty to think about for now, so rather than keep going over the same issues over and over, i'm locking the thread now so we can take a deep breath and look things over

thanks for all your feedback anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back