What did you RECEIVE today? PHOTOS EDITION!

2024 HAUL - JANUARY CHAPTER: BATCH #1

It is the new year and that means more items joining the ever-growing collection. However, this year is going to have some new plans, and one of those arrived this week.

GooglePixel8Pro1.jpg

As of this month it has been 5 years since I have switched from an iPhone SE to a Huawei P20 Pro. That phone was really solid and did a great job with the photos that I have taken over the years. In the past year I noticed that my protective case was slowly damaged and in recent months it eventually started to fall off. As soon as it had fell off I noticed that it wasn't the protective case aging but rather the back of the phone randomly hanging out.

Upon research it was common for Huawei devices to do this after some time for either to be aging glue or the battery. Last month my co-worker took a brief look at my phone and his immediate reaction was "your battery has swollen and could blow up at any point". Granted the latter part was probably a joke but it is foolish to pretend that it won't be a problem later down the line, and considering this issue has spread throughout the year it's essentially on a ticking time bomb at this point.

But considering it's been 5 years there was no harm going for a new phone since EE & BT would allow a free upgrade (i.e. you can start going for a new phone without fees upfront) and with discounts (i.e. you save money on the monthly phone payment and the mobile data cost). Since I like to take photos I noticed the new devices in the past year had a fairly big jump in tech, so I figured it would make more sense to get one of the best available and recent phones around. And after some consideration and research, I settled on the Google Pixel 8 Pro which was available for a deal with my provider.

Google Pixel 8 Pro upon setting up was very fast on getting the job done. As soon as I turned it on, it recognised my Huawei phone and transferred everything over - my contacts, my apps, my photos, literally everything except for the Huawei exclusive stuff. I did have to login again to the apps that I use but the transition was smooth which is a plus. Now the difference between Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro is pretty much the camera (Pro has a 50MP option alongside the regular 12MP) and the photos do look really good, but it comes at a cost of a high resolution and large file size.

After some testing and comparisons, the 12MP camera does the job really well and will be used for most of my square photo shoots. The widescreen shots I'll use the 50MP to get the best presentation possible. Regardless of both options, I will have to resize and re-optimise both because the forum won't accept their original resolution while social media won't accept their file size. Discord is fine at least, but what you see on this post isn't 100% the original file but is close enough. All widescreen photos will be resized to 4K resolution and the regular photo sizes resized to around the same range as 1440p.

I also bought a protective case in the same style as the previous one which looks good.

2024 Haul 1 - Crunchyroll Blu-rays 1.jpg
2024 Haul 1 - Crunchyroll Blu-rays 2.jpg
2024 Haul 1 - Crunchyroll Blu-rays 3.jpg

Huawei Phone (1), Google Phone (2):

IMG_20240106_092420.jpg
2024 Haul 1 - Crunchyroll Blu-rays 1.jpg

IMG_20240106_092723.jpg
2024 Haul 1 - Crunchyroll Blu-rays 2.jpg

The first arrival of the year is from the Entertainment Store Amazon offer that a lot of people jumped on. I wasn't bothered at first until I heard people were getting good deals due to an error in the system, so I decided to look around and found at least three titles that I was willing to pick up immediately.

So the first one is Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation Season 1 Part 2 which I had been holding off for ages because I was debating on whether to go for the US version for the slipcase or stick to the UK version given that Part 1 is the UK release. I settled on the UK version and the spine is consistent at least. I have updated my unboxing of the Part 1 limited edition to include photos of Part 2 for those interested.

I also picked up Sing a Bit of Harmony which is a film that I'm not too sure on how I feel but is willing to give it a try considering the director involved. And then there's ZOMBIE LAND SAGA REVENGE which I have seen and is very good.

LoveLiveNijigasakiSeason2-08.jpg

IMG_20240106_100735.jpg
LoveLiveNijigasakiSeason2-08.jpg

And surprisingly we have our first Anime Limited collector's edition of the year which arrived a day earlier than I had anticipated. Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club Season 2 is now here and was supposed to have arrived before the festive season, but I assume the slow shipment and storms got in the way but it did ship out first thing this week which is neat. You can view more photos and specs on my blog.

Got this from oxfam £11.99
View attachment 32190
Ooh awesome find! I was lucky enough to score a copy of the OOP US release Blu-ray and I really rate this show highly, I got a lot out of watching it (the English dub is really good as well!) :)
I'll second that - great find! I tried and gave up trying to get an import at a reasonable price. One day I will get around to getting one and seeing what the hype is about heh.

I received my first delivery of 2024 today, a non-anime Blu-ray I imported from Germany. My friend and I are huge fans of electronic music, with the likes of classic Jean Michel Jarre, Tangerine Dream, and Kraftwerk, and I had found this more contemporary composer in the same vein on Youtube quite a few years ago, so we became fans of Schiller as well. This is one of our favorite concert videos of his, Atemlos Live, and I'm glad to finally have it in full HD, and not just the highly compressed version from YoutTube.

schilleratemlos1.jpg

schilleratemlos2.jpg

From the past few weeks.
Took advantage of the amazon 'sale' and the SignalOne sale.
Picked up ones I've been meaning too with Ju-On (after arrow announced the nerfed std edition) and Dawn of the Dead 4K.
Also gave in and bought the 2023 Spanish release of Sammo Hung's Enter The Fat Dragon (with Eng subs) even though I'm fully expecting Eureka or 88 Films to put it out at some point but for 7€ it was a bargain!
20240110_170130.jpg
20240110_170203.jpg

The King of Limbs by Radiohead
I bought this digitally when they first released it. Haven't listened to it in while. That's what happens with unlimited music on Spotify, but limited time.
Tomorrow's Harvest by Boards of Canada
Just checked on Spotify. Still their last album, over 10 years now :-( Seem to be rumours of a new one being made currently though.

Today I received my Solaris order of the Super Action Statue figures of Funny Valentine and D4C (Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap) from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

(Also I know it's not a stylistic picture, I just came up with the idea to take the photos in an instant. I'd like to get more into taking pictures of figures. It seems fun.)

Attachments

• 20240111_142042.jpg
    20240111_142042.jpg
    700.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240111_142031.jpg
    20240111_142031.jpg
    697.3 KB · Views: 1
Back