What did you RECEIVE today? PHOTOS EDITION!

2023 HAUL VER 12.6
(note: images are hosted via AUKN for the meantime)

Another batch of items just before the Christmas 2023 haul.

IMG_20231202_100518.jpg

I went to town on Thursday to see if there's anything that I can get, and to be honest it was mostly a dud. Travelling Man was the same issue because the stock was either not there or the condition wasn't particularly great. So I decided to settle on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind manga volumes 1, 2 & 3 which is basically a month earlier than intended but they did have the series available so why not.

These did look thinner than I was expected but I made sure to check the info and they are indeed the US prints which is good. I also noticed whilst I was at the store that they are reprinting JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders with the current SJ logo.

IMG_20231222_122123.jpg

Also arriving on Thursday we have Gundam Build Fighters Part 2 which thankfully appeared on time before the year was over. This covers the second cour of the series and again it's a VDMS disc with more extras on the disc so we pretty much have everything from Rightstuf's release across these two parts and authored well so that is good. I suppose the only negative is that you do lose the style that Rightstuf has with their fonts and subs but at least the translation is the same.

You can view more photos & specs on my blog for both collector's edition parts.

IMG_20231222_121956.jpg

A month ago The Game Collection gave me a £5 code because Star Ocean: The Second Story R didn't arrive on release day, and I wasn't sure how long the discount was available for and decided to look into finding a game worth picking up as soon as possible. It was tough because some games were not in stock so I settled on Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut on PlayStation 5 because I knew it was a really well received title.

IMG_20231216_134919.jpg
IMG_20231216_135929.jpg
IMG_20231216_141833.jpg

After picking up the two Italian box sets earlier in the month, I decided to look into more of the Italian films Radiance Films have released this past year because there were only a small number. Now the challenge was whether I wanted to keep it consistent with the limited editions or stick to the standard editions, especially because The Working Class Goes to Heaven sold out very early on.

But I found an opportunity to pick up the original release for The Working Class Goes to Heaven (which will arrive later) and there were still stock available for two films that just sold out earlier this month - Pasquale Squitieri's The Iron Prefect (Il prefetto di ferro) from 1977 and Luigi Comencini's The Sunday Woman (La donna della domenica) from 1975. And so I bought those two whilst they were cheap.

Outside of the earlier film, the only remaining Italian film yet to pick up is The Horrible Dr. Hichcock which is probably going to last a long while because of its 5000 print run and the US releasing a 4K Ultra HD version. Radiance Films will be releasing 4K films next year but whether they'll revisit this film is not known.

IMG_20231223_095058.jpg
IMG_20231223_101019.jpg

In addition to those limited edition sets, I also bought the World Noir Vol. 1 box set. This is a collection of films focused on the Noir genre outside of the English films, namely World Cinema or Asian Cinema from the 50s. The first box set includes the films Koreyoshi Kurahara's I Am Waiting (俺は待ってるぜ) from 1957 in Japan, Edouard Molinaro's Witness in the City (Un témoin dans la ville) from 1959 in France, and Pietro Germi's The Facts of Murder (Un maledetto imbroglio) from 1959 in Italy. Also included is an 80 page book and reversible artwork for each film.

The second volume in this little series is expected to be released around the second half of next year. I also plan to get The End of Civilization: Three Films by Piotr Szulkin but will wait until next month.

New arrivals!

Cr-Discotek.jpg

SAORideback-Gurren-Lagann.jpg

Aria-Monster-Kaguya.jpg

2023 HAUL VER 12.7: CHRISTMAS EDITION
(note: images are hosted via AUKN for the meantime)

IMG_20231225_110859.jpg

Ho ho ho Merry Christmas. Here's my 2023 holiday haul which includes a bit of everything. It's a much better turnout on my part compared to last year so here we go.

IMG_20231202_100518.jpg
IMG_20231225_113921.jpg

Starting off with the anime! Here we have a few regular Blu-rays from Manga UK's beginnings and when they updated their logo, all the way to their extinction with Crunchyroll UK.

Released in 2011 on Blu-ray is Musashi: The Dream of the Last Samurai, which is an extremely niche anime film that came out in Japan in 2009 by studio Production I.G. & director Mizuho Nishikubo (Giovanni's Island). I've been meaning to get this film for years and it's still available so now was a good time thanks to Rarewaves' discount sale.

I also requested the regular Blu-ray release for Steamboy, a film by studio Sunrise & director Katsuhiro Otomo (Akira). I remember this was first released in the UK by Sony and Manga managed to bring it back in a deal of sorts with a few other Sony titles, but I did hear it was a solid release so may as well get it before it would also eventually go away. Like Musashi this was also from Rarewaves.

And then we have this month's new Crunchyroll UK release of Konosuba: God's Blessing on this Wonderful World! Legend of Crimson, which is a rare case of the UK & Australia releasing a title before North America does. Like Chainsaw Man and the multi-language titles, Crunchyroll UK have taken the lazy approach of re-using other region's artwork as their reversible cover so in this case we have an Australian front cover.

IMG_20231222_122123.jpg

For the Asian Cinema section we have the latest release from Radiance Films with Yūzō Kawashima's 1962 Japanese film Elegant Beast (しとやかな獣). This film according to Wiki is also known under a different name The Graceful Brute.

The Radiance Films limited edition release is packaged with a Scanavo case with an obi placed inside the case to cover the info and BBFC logos (which can then be stored inside the case). There's also reversible artwork and a booklet, both are exclusive to this edition.

IMG_20231222_121956.jpg

For video games we have two Japanese RPGs for PlayStation 5 with Soul Hackers 2 by Atlus and Tales of Arise by Bandai Namco.

I never liked the EU/US cover for Tales of Arise so it's good that Bandai added the Japanese cover for its reverse artwork.

IMG_20231216_134919.jpg

Next we have a really neat addition. British YouTuber Chris Broad, known for this YouTube channel Abroad in Japan and co-starring as himself in the Trash Taste podcast, recently wrote a book covering his experiences living in Japan with Abroad in Japan: Ten Years in the Land of the Rising Sun. Heard it was really good and Chris is an intriguing individual in general so I figured this hardcover book would be worth picking up.

I also received some chop sticks which to be fair I needed anyway as my old ones aged badly and were many years old at this point.

IMG_20231223_095058.jpg

For light novels I finally got my hands on OVERLORD volumes 12 & 13.

These two volumes cover the Paladin of the Sacred Kingdom story arc. OVERLORD IV skipped this arc because instead it will be adapted into a film later down the line (for context both the film and Season 4 were announced at the same time). I recall the reason for the film choice was due to the story arc's darker tone which would probably have been censored for broadcast.

IMG_20231225_111706.jpg

For manga I went for a different approach to previous years by focusing on manga volumes for existing titles in my collection as a change of pace. Here we have Frieren: Beyond Journey's End Vol. 9, MASHLE: MAGIC & MUSCLES Vol. 13 and One-Punch Man Vol. 12.

Both of the former two are the latest volumes released in English, while the latter has been out of stock for a while and when it became available I decided it was worth adding it here so that I can continue the volume collecting at some point. These are all US prints as well despite the thin volumes.

IMG_20231225_111758.jpg
IMG_20231225_111153.jpg

And last but not least we have a whole bunch of clothes and snacks. The snacks on the left hand side came from a Snack Verse French bundle whilst the right-hand side ones are Hotel Chocolat selection, a Hot Chocolate dip and Dark Chocolate Orange Caramel popcorn.

Abroad in Japan: Ten Years in the Land of the Rising Sun.
Listened to the audiobook. The stuff covering his first few years as an English teacher and settling down in Japan is really interesting, but once he gets to the second half of the 10 years it mostly covers stuff he did on YouTube, so if you followed for long enough you've seen/heard the stories before. Also seems to rush along compared to the earlier stuff.

Back