What did you RECEIVE today? PHOTOS EDITION!

Oh its the translation of I think this book, I might be tempted to grab the translated version when it gets re-printed/is avalible

Aslo NSFW
Yeah, looks like it. The drawing of the skeleton looks like a page I saw a preview of (on Amazon I think)

Yeah, looks like it. The drawing of the skeleton looks like a page I saw a preview of (on Amazon I think)
That looks like a good book (and not just because of the bubz). The artist clearly has a solid understanding of anatomy, which is the main thing missing from most How To Manga books. Manga figure drawing is such a stylised artform that it's easy to pick up bad habits if you jump straight to drawing it rather than learning to draw actual human anatomy first. Get that down first and you can just reverse-engineer your own manga style from your favourite artists instead of needing a specific manga guide, because you'll understand the underlying principles that inform the way that manga exaggerates the body. A good starting place is Anatomy for the Artist by Sarah Simblet.

October Haul #3

YBAw2VOh.jpg

OgPnyaRh.jpg
Finally we have Fire Punch Volumes 7 & 8. I acquired Volume 7 from Blackwells and Volume 8 from Amazon. Wanted to get the series completed before they go out of stock again due to the Chainsaw Man anime.

Next, we have the fourth Discotek Media batch, covering seven catalog and two new releases which arrived early from October's batch.

Y6eAOgwh.jpg

z4vUD6Ih.jpg

PFaAG6xh.jpg

1H0lfbMh.jpg

Z8kq67Nh.jpg

mhKOlTrh.jpg

EZ7WEy4h.jpg

zSlfCQOh.jpg

1IPciIyh.jpg

E9NohlAh.jpg
Crusher Joe the Movie, from director Yoshikazu Yasuhiko and from Studio Nue & Sunrise in 1983. This release also includes both 4:3 & 16:9 versions of the film. Always good to have more classic Sunrise sci-fi anime. Plus, we also have Crusher Joe: The Complete OVA Series, from director Toshifumi Takizawa. Just two episodes from 1989 and released after the film but may as well get both together!

Then we have Nutcracker Fantasy, a 1979 stop-motion film by Sanrio (creators of Aggretsuko & Hello Kitty) and directed by Takeo Nakamura. Based on the classic ballet, the presentation is what had me interested in the film for a while and given Discotek's warning that some stuff will discontinue, I figured this film (despite including a dub) is likely to be niche enough that it's probably in the danger zone and so I decided to acquire it sooner than later.

726Qcl5h.jpg

qJy6v3Xh.jpg

Rbo29fSh.jpg

JoBTVy4h.jpg

kJAIuczh.jpg

tZw8cf7h.jpg

j3F9bCRh.jpg

H9qxB6ph.jpg

iiltzHhh.jpg

mGzaCIph.jpg

fLCs221h.jpg
The Princess and the Pilot, a 2011 film by Madhouse & TMS from director Jun Shishido. Discotek rescued the film from NIS America, though it's a limited run release. While Manga UK did release the film in the UK, the Discotek release is re-authored with some tweaks to the subtitles and combined with the low price it's a good time to pick it up.

Super Dimension Century Orguss, the classic 1983 series from Artland & TMS and director Noboru Ishiguro. I finally picked up this series and looking forward to it. This was rumoured to be part of the Robotech stuff but thankfully it wasn't, otherwise, we wouldn't have gotten this series on Blu-ray in the best way possible. Discotek's set also includes the incomplete English dub.

To Be Hero & To Be Heroine, two Chinese anime shows that aired in 2016 & 2018 from Studio LAN & Haoliners Animation League with director Li Haoling. Another limited release run and based on the Japanese broadcast version, but this does include improved subtitles.

zVosQkbh.jpg

pUY9ZJth.jpg
jDyeeSch.jpg

mKO3t4Nh.jpg

IkwSJa4h.jpg

WnWlMzJh.jpg

p6cjeN4h.jpg

5u9qaGeh.jpg

ibDUFr2h.jpg

Qv0vT8uh.jpg

weYsxCkh.jpg
Time for a triple bill for one franchise! Yowamushi Pedal Season 1, aired in 2013 from TMS and director Osamu Nabeshima. A really great anime series about bicycle racing, and I marathoned a lot of episodes back in the day. This season has 38 episodes which is a lot, but you'll blitz through them easily. Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road, the second season which aired in 2014, gets better and I also watched this 24 episode series (which was all that was legally available at the time). The cast stand out pretty well. I really should start catching up with Seasons 3-5 now (New Generation, Glory Line & Limit Break).

Last but not least we also have Yowamushi Pedal Re:RIDE & Re:ROAD, the two compilation films that cover the first two seasons which released in 2014 & 2015 respectively. Honestly surprised Discotek released these but pretty neat none-the-less.

BpsxVbZh.jpg

Now we are at 39 Discotek Media Blu-rays. I'll probably aim for 50 in total before 2023. And yes, these hauls are not cheap (especially as we non-US folks have to pay twice as much to acquire them) but the learning lesson here is to grab them as soon as possible and don't leave it 5 years later lol. But on a serious note, not everyone can get them when they were first released (or even within the first 12 months) so yeah - sucks being an anime fan.

You're probably wondering where Yowamushi Pedal the Movie is, the set wasn't in stock at the time of the order, so I had to get it elsewhere which is on its way later this month. Also want to recap that this film is listed as discontinued on Discotek's site so heads up if you have yet to own it (which makes sense given it came out in 2017 - aka 5 years ago).

It's the fanciest ball point pen I've ever seen!

It is very nice-looking tbf but I'm the type who prefers prettier results (ie. lots of beautiful colours to work with, or a particularly impressive nib that glides across paper very smoothly, for instance) or the novelty of an actual dip pen (I own the 80-colour set of Kuretake Zig Real Brush Pens and an actual dip pen with multiple nibs in a set that you can swap around) to a pretty looking pen that writes like a biro or like a uniball. But to each their own, I'm glad you like it and tbf if I were a fan of this series (IDK haven't seen it) then I would be quite happy to get something unusual like that as an LE collector's item. Also earns some points from me for using such a nice purple for the feather :)

It is very nice-looking tbf but I'm the type who prefers prettier results (ie. lots of beautiful colours to work with, or a particularly impressive nib that glides across paper very smoothly, for instance) or the novelty of an actual dip pen (I own the 80-colour set of Kuretake Zig Real Brush Pens and an actual dip pen with multiple nibs in a set that you can swap around) to a pretty looking pen that writes like a biro or like a uniball. But to each their own, I'm glad you like it and tbf if I were a fan of this series (IDK haven't seen it) then I would be quite happy to get something unusual like that as an LE collector's item. Also earns some points from me for using such a nice purple for the feather :)
To be fair I haven't seen the show yet either but I do like limited editions and the bizarre and random stuff they can come with. I'm not sure I'll ever use the pen but I will at least have it on display somewhere coz it does look very nice.

I normally don't go for comedy/game series like Bofuri, but I watched it and had a good laugh; the humor was decent and not overdone. I picked up that exact same LE box set except it's the US release. I showed Bofuri to the next door neighbor couple and they loved the series too.

I just got the Realist Hero LE in the mail a week ago - Pretty purple pen to match my purple-themed movie theater in my basement, along with my Purple Pile Pics™ I take for these anime forums - love it! 🥰

Last edited:
Received over the past couple of weeks. Films 2 & 3 from UP1, & film 1 from Anime Blu-ray.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion I: Initiation (CE Blu-ray)
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion II: Transgression (CE Blu-ray)
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion III: Glorification (CE Blu-ray) (includes bonus storage box)

20221015_145624.jpg

20221015_145518.jpg

Back