What did you RECEIVE today? PHOTOS EDITION!

Double-post for today as I didn't know this was going to arrive today while I was at work this evening.

Despite not having yet played the games I used to love this movie when I was younger as my younger brother had it on DVD (he was big into the series).

This special edition of sorts was around the same price as the standard blu-ray on ebay so decided I might as well go for it. It's all cardboard so it's a little worn but nothing terrible.

Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva (BD / DVD)

1000000818.jpg

Thanks @Otomo for the photos. Interesting to see the Multi-language title handled this way. I wonder if they decided to replace the amaray front cover instead because there was no unique artwork between the slipcase artwork and the case artwork.

Later this month we'll see the appearance of multi-Language French only titles (i.e. ones without German audio/subs) so I'm intrigued to see how that's handled.

Finally completed 90s Sailor Moon once again, but on Blu-Ray.
These Viz sets, while not flawless gave the series the justice that it deserves.

I can officially retire my Madman DVDs for good.
They served me well, but being on Blu-Ray in general as having a ton of extra features makes the sets feel more complete in my eyes, compared to the Madman Blu-Ray and DVD sets.

Thank you Viz Media for releasing these lovely and I hope someday AL will do a Sailor Moon UK home video revival using these sets video masters and producing nice looking CE sets for each season and movie.

20240605_195401.jpg
20240605_202320.jpg

I received another Blu-ray from a friend on the blu-ray.com anime forum today:

The Ice Guy and His Cool Female Colleague

iceguy.jpg

I’ve neglected to do an update for a few weeks. So here is a few recent acquisitions.

IMG_9142.jpeg

One is not like the others 🤣
Finally started picking up the Inspector Wears Skirts series. Managed to get 3 with a slipcase from my local CEX. Also, season 5 of Adventure Time and my daughter loves watching it with me, so it’s nice to have some chill stuff to watch with her that’s not as long as a film.

IMG_9143.jpeg

One of these is not like the others too 🤣 we technically A Thousand & One Nights and Cleopatra are a double pack. Grabbed this on eBay so I can watch them before Belladonna of Sadness as they are spiritually similar.

Also, the two Ghibli films are amongst my favourites so I finally picked them up. I thought I had them already which is why it took so long to grab them.

Not Ghibli, but I heard it’s similar in style to a lot of their films set around WWII, so I picked this up for a bargain on Music Magpie.

IMG_9144.jpeg

Moribito is the AoL deal of the week Fujiko is just something I’ve wanted for a while and I got it for £3 on eBay as I had a load of Nectar points saved up.

Also after watching the Space Adventure Cobra movie, I needed more Cobra in my life. I watched the first episode on the TMS YouTube channel and then decided to just make a purchase and I found this second hand a week later. Fate smiled on me for sure with that one. Once I’ve watched this, I’m hoping to pick up newer series from Sentai.

The "final" pieces of my Ghibli collection arrived. Unfortunately, the second hand copy of Arrietty I received has the "6" on the spine, but I'm not bothered too much, I don't really fancy trying to hunt down a "18" slipcover or another copy of a Blu-ray that's over a decade old now - maybe I'll just write 18 on it in pen or something 😂

Oh, I just realised I got When Marnie Was There (which I keep calling Marnie and Me in my head 😂) today as well, but forgot to include it in the picture.

IMG_20240607_123401882.jpg

And here they all are. A mixture of CEs and the standard double-play Blu-ray+DVD. The only reason I got some CEs is because they were the same or similar price to the standard double-play editions on eBay.

I've got The Red Turtle coming from HMV as well, but not sure if that's considered a 'proper' Ghibli film. I also know of that CGI film Ghibli put out not long ago as well, but haven't heard great things about it, so I'll probably pass unless I see it at a bargain bin price. I hope we get a UK release of The Boy and the Heron though.

IMG_20240607_123509954 (1).jpg

Overall, these weren't too bad to collect considering they're not exactly making any more of these I think, because Studio Canal had some bust up with another company. I did get lucky with a few of them (e.g., my copy of The Wind Rises from CEX came with the slipcover included and I managed to snag slipcovers for my copies of Pom Poko and Kiki for £5 each on eBay). They were all between £8-£20, so not too bad in terms of price either.

Happy to have them all physically anyway!

Last edited:
Good work @BrokenPhoenix. The CGI one, is that Earwig? It’s really not a great film, it’s like they tried to make a western film and failed because they don’t have the style for that. I’d suggest watching a bit on Netflix and seeing what you think.

Good work @BrokenPhoenix. The CGI one, is that Earwig? It’s really not a great film, it’s like they tried to make a western film and failed because they don’t have the style for that. I’d suggest watching a bit on Netflix and seeing what you think.

Thanks! Yeah, that's the one. I saw the reviews were quite bad for it. I may give it a watch and see, but I won't have much hope haha.

Back