What did you BUY today?

I know, I get its being shipped from America to Scotland but why would something like a signed picture cost so much to send.
Shipping from America for small packages is mad. I buy comics off of kickstarter a fair bit but pretty much only get them from British based creators because of it. A UK comic might be under a tenner with 2 quid shipping whereas a US one will be $15 with $15-30 shipping. Its barmy.

Shipping from America for small packages is mad. I buy comics off of kickstarter a fair bit but pretty much only get them from British based creators because of it. A UK comic might be under a tenner with 2 quid shipping whereas a US one will be $15 with $15-30 shipping. Its barmy.
I checked the signed Sam Manson picture I bought from Grey Griffin early this year off her Ebay page and the shipping was only $12. A bit much but nowhere near what I've been paying when I buy from Galaxy Con/Wizard World. I'm also reminded of the signed Raven picture I got from Tara Strong in late 2018 which if I recall she only paid about $6/7 to ship that from her home in LA (at the time, she's back in Canada) to Glasgow

I bought a signed picture from someone a few weeks ago - the shipping was $8 (I'm not sure if that was US or Canadian though), but the value was only $10, so maybe it depends on values for insurance or whatever 😅

I've pre-ordered the new Eureka Entertainment release of Sammo Hung's The Millionaires' Express, which is out this Monday.

I don't usually pre-order Eureka releases mainly because trying to keep up with their first print sets is too much to deal with especially on the pricing side, and while I did get Lucky Stars collection that was because it randomly dropped in price. In this instance however, Eureka and the team who work on the 88 Asia releases have provided an additional Blu-ray disc for the film.

This second disc is exclusive to the first print edition and it comes with two different versions of the film - the English Language version which is what was originally prepared for International audiences, and an exclusive 'Hybrid Cut' which combines all of the scenes from the original theatrical Hong Kong cut and the International Extended Version together to make a complete film. It's a very unique situation and I wanted to check that version out. This release also includes the missing Lucky Stars bonus feature that was accidently inaccessible in the Lucky Stars collection.

In other words, this Eureka Blu-ray set has 4 ways to watch the film:
  • Original Theatrical Hong Kong Cut [Disc 1]
  • Extended International Version [Disc 1]
  • English Language Version [Disc 2]
  • Hybrid Cut [Disc 2]

After holding off for a year, I finally became part of the problem and subscribed to Disney+. I already have too many streaming subscriptions, so the plan is to just use it for a month and then cancel. I already own all the Marvel and Star Wars movies, and most of the animated classics that I like, so there's only a few shows and movies I want to see. I'm not great at actually unsubscribing to things though. I've kept Netflix active even during periods when I ended up not touching it for months on end. I've been meaning to at least pause it, but recently it's been drip-feeding me one thing a month that I want to see. That's awful value for £10 per month, so I might pull the plug at some point. I am planning to drop HiDive when the annual subscription comes up for renewal though.

Regarding Disney+, I would have preferred to just buy blu-rays of Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Wandavision, and The Mandalorian, but those will never exist, so here I am. It's a pain the way streaming services hold most of their original content hostage, but that's basically the entire business model in this case. Once some of of these services inevitably go belly up, a lot of great shows are going to become lost media (by legal means).

Regarding Disney+, I would have preferred to just buy blu-rays of Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Wandavision, and The Mandalorian, but those will never exist, so here I am. It's a pain the way streaming services hold most of their original content hostage, but that's basically the entire business model in this case. Once some of of these services inevitably go belly up, a lot of great shows are going to become lost media (by legal means).
My attitude to that is that if companies don’t give me what I want, I take it. I prefer supporting things legally, I buy releases where they exist in order to support creators but if they’re going to make subscription services the only way to watch certain shows, screw ‘em. I’ll get my torrent on. This is an insane problem with non-Japanese cartoons. So many shows are produced in HD, but NEVER released on blu-ray, and if they are made available on physical media it’s DVD only. And then shows get cancelled because they don’t seem popular enough, when if they produced blu-rays there’d be a TON of people lining up to buy them. It’s honestly maddening.

I'm making a concious effort to stop watching the MCU after endgame, it was fun to watch but they really had to nerf Thanos hard to make him an Avengers level threat. Anyway I'm gonna stick to the comics. Though if they make some X-men or Fantastic Four movies for the MCU then I'll check those out.

I'm making a concious effort to stop watching the MCU after endgame, it was fun to watch but they really had to nerf Thanos hard to make him an Avengers level threat. Anyway I'm gonna stick to the comics. Though if they make some X-men or Fantastic Four movies for the MCU then I'll check those out.
A Fantastic Four movie has been announced, but I think it's the only phase four movie not to have a release date yet, so don't expect it before 2024. That's assuming huge-budget movies are still considered financially viable in another couple of years, of course.

I bought:

Dolcelatte Cheese
Special K Red Berries Cereal
A nice sort of stonewashed looking cream white top
Two books - A Ration Book Daughter by Jean Fullerton and The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman - former is one of those wartime romance dealies featuring a mother in difficult circumstances, and the latter is about old people in a retirement village solving murder mysteries - I got them in the supermarket cuz I was curious to try something different than what I usually read :)

So many shows are produced in HD, but NEVER released on blu-ray, and if they are made available on physical media it’s DVD only. And then shows get cancelled because they don’t seem popular enough, when if they produced blu-rays there’d be a TON of people lining up to buy them. It’s honestly maddening.
I've never understood why there are still DVD only releases since 2019

Even if the argument is "the content is SD only so thats why we use DVD's" then SD Bluray will be great, will only have to use 1 or 2 disks rather than 4 and you wont have to kill the quality cramming as much data into an old format

Even if the argument is "the content is SD only so thats why we use DVD's" then SD Bluray will be great, will only have to use 1 or 2 disks rather than 4 and you wont have to kill the quality cramming as much data into an old format
DVD's sell way more that's why, plus they are cheap to produce unlike Blu-ray

If you’re with O2 they’re giving away 6 months for free as it’s the only reason I now have Disney+

Yesterday I ordered the August Ghost from The York Ghost Merchants and today I’ve bought my hotel for SLA.

i think a BD at bulk costs is still like a couple quid vs maybe 20p a dvd (these aren't accurate figures just an estimate to show the scale of cost)

Back