What did you BUY today?

Pre-ordered Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity for Switch. Not sure how dark this game will commit to going story-wise, but I hope it packs an emotional punch in between obliterating endless waves of enemies.

I haven't bought a video game in a while which is odd but in this instance it's status changed from "later when it's cheaper" to "emergency it's OOP mode".

sqM02rel.png

Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen has (no pun intended) fallen thanks to NIS America's incompetence in handling physical releases in the same way that Danganronpa 3 and Ys VIII were treated. It's basically non-existent and it only came out a few months ago. It never went below the SRP price and I had no choice but to haunt down a copy via CeX because it's just gone. My assumption is that NISA saw the sales for Utawarerumono Zan (which is a spin-off action game that isn't well loved by fans) and felt the franchise sells terribly so they cut short the print run for the remake of the first game.

It's fortunate that I had enough funds to grab a copy but this is just infuriating. It's annoying how unpredictable these sort of things are.

I'll say this though - if you are a fan of Falcom, Legend of Heroes & Ys - don't bother waiting and just buy Trails of Cold Steel IV and Ys IX at full price. It's too much of a gamble to hold out because I can guarantee those won't last very long.
Huh. That fast? Kind of surprised, I thought the Masks sequels were doing fairly fine. (But that was a different publisher was it? Atlus?)
If they had looked at ZAN for reference they clearly didn't know what it was... (Basically the opposite of what I was doing with reading the walkthroughs so that I could skip the game parts. Zan just skips the story parts for the game parts.)

Huh. That fast? Kind of surprised, I thought the Masks sequels were doing fairly fine. (But that was a different publisher was it? Atlus?)
If they had looked at ZAN for reference they clearly didn't know what it was... (Basically the opposite of what I was doing with reading the walkthroughs so that I could skip the game parts. Zan just skips the story parts for the game parts.)
i don't know what it is with NIS and low printings for the 3rd game, they also buggered up the DRV3 launch and it pretty much went oop at pre-order and never returned, i only managed to switch my Vita copy to the PS4 version only because they re-released a collection on PS4 i guess as one big swoop to get money from the franchise before they lost the license

I guess the upside for this one is that Utwarerumono as a franchise is still well alive and kicking. (Lost Frag seems to be doing fairly good in JP it seems. And that Dokapon thing is coming in December.) So may keep interest warm enough to warrant relicenses.
Prelude's release in itself seems to have been fairly low key, too. I pretty much only caught on the news by chance, because I just happened to watched Anime S2 and got hooked right shortly before it was out and saw some PVs, when I was looking for some Mask of Truth spoilers.

Is NISA doing bad in general? I mean they pulled out of the anime department already though that was said to be something like Anime's too much of a hassle and they didn't want to bother. That sounded like they wanted to concentrate on their core business, but that doesn't seem to be working too well, either?

Is NISA doing bad in general? I mean they pulled out of the anime department already though that was said to be something like Anime's too much of a hassle and they didn't want to bother. That sounded like they wanted to concentrate on their core business, but that doesn't seem to be working too well, either?

No they are in a very bad position from both a financial perspective and from fan trust as well. Disgaea 5 on PS4 was a huge flop for them and it was the Switch port which saved their hides, this is actually the reason Disgaea 6 is a Switch exclusive currently. From a fans point of view, to put it politely NISA are pretty poor at localising games. To the point where Y's 8 entire script needed to be completey rewritten and fixed in a post launch patch. Not to mention that despite poor sales they still actively antagonise their fanbase

NIS America always had a reputation for not doing proper localisations for their titles, ever since the PlayStation 2 era. Considering some of their big IPs even went to the US branch owners of the Japanese publishers (Hyperdimension Neptunia went to Idea Factory, Danganronpa went to Spike Chunsoft, Atelier went to Koei Tecmo, as examples), the only major IPs NISA have left is Disgaea and recently the Falcom titles The Legend of Heroes and Ys, as XSEED was too small of a company to outbid NISA.

The anime branch gave up due to other publishers outbidding them pretty much, but the game branch has continued. Their reputation is still mixed and while The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III & IV have the support of those who worked on the localisation for Cold Steel I & II from Marvelous & XSEED, the end result was still received as a mixed bag by the Falcom community (but nowhere near as bad as the Ys VIII debacle).

ys-viii-switch-port-747x309.jpg

As Vincentdante mentioned, the Switch basically saved the publisher. Every title they released in recent years probably would have been digital only or licensed by other publishers otherwise. While I do appreciate NISA releasing titles in the west, I feel their reputation has slowly over the years have gotten downhill, and let's not forget how some titles went OOP close to its release and spent a year or two before a standard edition came along (Danganronpa 3 and Ys VIII both did come back in print but it was a ridiculous time to wait, no communication for these titles last I checked).

On another note, I do applaud Spike Chunsoft USA for bringing titles like the Re:ZERO visual novel to the west and even dubbing it.

Using the Master System naming I see.

Just waiting for TYPE MOON USA as they won’t give Fate to anyone else. (Apparently they ask far a too high price and it’s 15 years old now )
I know it will never happen too busy milking that FGO cash cow that we won’t ever get even though we speak English.

Last edited:
No they are in a very bad position from both a financial perspective and from fan trust as well. Disgaea 5 on PS4 was a huge flop for them and it was the Switch port which saved their hides, this is actually the reason Disgaea 6 is a Switch exclusive currently. From a fans point of view, to put it politely NISA are pretty poor at localising games. To the point where Y's 8 entire script needed to be completey rewritten and fixed in a post launch patch. Not to mention that despite poor sales they still actively antagonise their fanbase
Oh my entirely rewritten does sound bad. Utawarerumono by all means isn't terrific (you'll get at least two lines that are really terrifically badly translated in terms of speaker's tone and speech, as it uses random slur words, but at least the meaning is not all that off). It's also not really good especially next to Atlus' Masks translations. (Those are pretty free style and in some parts putting JP and english parts next to each other will make you wonder how it sometimes almost is entirely differently lines, yet still keeps the spirit of the content alive whilst even transporting the VA moods into the text itself. Easily one of the most impressive translation efforts I've seen to make the experience as engaging as the JP one, when you can understand the VAs.)

Oh beware of one thing if go from Prelude to Masks. "Decoys" as they are called in JP are for unknown reasons called "Proxies" in the Masks ones and Prelude keeps the Decoy not caring for any localization consistency. (I wonder why Atlus went for Proxies. Though imo in terms of meaning in the lore proxies actually makes more sense than even the JP original.)

Other than that, did some KyoAni shopping~
mnAbMwl.png

Too bad I missed the first reservation period, which would have shipped end of the year (now it's going to ship end of Febraury). That first one sure was sold out quick.

Bought a tablet. Got 15% off at Argos with my Sainsbury's staff discount card, plus had £40 on my Nectar card and my mum sent me some money because she bought something for my sister. Mainly for manga reading, but I'm sure I'll use it for other things:
DSC_2764.JPG

The screen is pretty much 1:1 with a standard manga:
DSC_2765.JPG

I ordered it as well, though I'm saving the discount for The Young Master as that's more expensive than the other 88 Asia titles.
Yes I recall seeing the announcement for it, something about adding some additional content to make it “extra-special”. Curious to see how it turns out.

Ordered today (deep breath)
Garden of Sinners BD CE (Amazon pre black Friday sale)
Pre ordered
After the rain
Cautious Hero SE BD
Hunter X Hunter pt 1 BD
Kemomo michi; Rise Up BD
Moribito BD
Steins gate movie BD
Yuuna and the haunted hot spring BD
Wicked city/Demon city SHinjuku CE
Demon Slayer CE 1
The Promised Neverland CE
All UP1

haPo2cR.jpg

The backlight on my old TV gave out about a month or so after this whole pandemic thing started and I was going to wait until I'd gotten my room sorted out, but that plan has changed and I've decided to just have a smaller TV on my desk and another which will be my in bed TV (which is what this one will be as I'll be getting a full HD TV for the desk).
I just need to get a monitor arm and some of the other stuff I need before I put it in what will be its temporary location.

Oh my entirely rewritten does sound bad. Utawarerumono by all means isn't terrific (you'll get at least two lines that are really terrifically badly translated in terms of speaker's tone and speech, as it uses random slur words, but at least the meaning is not all that off). It's also not really good especially next to Atlus' Masks translations. (Those are pretty free style and in some parts putting JP and english parts next to each other will make you wonder how it sometimes almost is entirely differently lines, yet still keeps the spirit of the content alive whilst even transporting the VA moods into the text itself. Easily one of the most impressive translation efforts I've seen to make the experience as engaging as the JP one, when you can understand the VAs.)

Oh beware of one thing if go from Prelude to Masks. "Decoys" as they are called in JP are for unknown reasons called "Proxies" in the Masks ones and Prelude keeps the Decoy not caring for any localization consistency. (I wonder why Atlus went for Proxies. Though imo in terms of meaning in the lore proxies actually makes more sense than even the JP original.)
there was one line that felt pretty out of place when i played it, i forget who he was talking to (it may have been when he first meets kamyu) but they mentioned someone who he had no idea who they were he responded back with "who the **** is that" which was a high tone considering the conversation was pretty relaxed

there was one line that felt pretty out of place when i played it, i forget who he was talking to (it may have been when he first meets kamyu) but they mentioned someone who he had no idea who they were he responded back with "who the **** is that" which was a high tone considering the conversation was pretty relaxed
Yes that's one of the very badly translated lines. He's simply sounding l asking "who are they?" There.
There's another line where he gets to use another bad weird in the translation. Meaning bit off completely, bit phrasing add off as it can get.

Back