What did you BUY today?

I just went from an old cheap 39inch LG from years ago to a 55" Samsung NU8000 the other day, and while I did consider going for something better (really the Sony XF9005 is about the entry point for whats considered decent HDR output) I'm pretty damn happy with it.

Wow, what little distances do you use. oo
I've got 1080p on 31.5" and I've already got 105cm distance. (And still feel it's too little, but the table would allow me to move it anymore back.) Granted, it's also my PC's monitor at the same time.

Wow, what little distances do you use. oo
I've got 1080p on 31.5" and I've already got 105cm distance. (And still feel it's too little, but the table would allow me to move it anymore back.) Granted, it's also my PC's monitor at the same time.
We can only put our screens a couple of cm away from our faces because everyone in Britain now lives in a shoebox due to house prices (plus maybe also buying too much anime).

We can only put our screens a couple of cm away from our faces because everyone in Britain now lives in a shoebox due to house prices (plus maybe also buying too much anime).
I used to sit a lot closer to my old plasma TV because the amount of heat it gave out saved me putting the radiators on 😁

I prefer a close viewing distance as well as well - I sit 8 feet (2.5 metres) from the 120" projection screen in my theatre room where I watch all my anime. The screen is 9 feet wide, so the 8 foot viewing distance is less than a 1:1 viewing ratio.

So are your UK homes shoeboxes or actual shoe houses? We have an real shoe house near where I live, I drive right past it every day, to and from work, and I've been inside the house, too:

Haines-shoe-house1.jpg

Out of interest, where do you find stuff like this to buy?

I have some friends in Japan that pick some stuff up for me in Mandarake but in terms of online I generally use auction sites like Yahoo Auctions and Mandarake Auction and Mail Order.

EDIT:
I'm sure I've asked that before of qaiz, possibly even more than once, and recieved no response. Clearly he doesn't want competing buyers for his retro memorabilia. B******.

Damn, that wasn't intentional if it did ever come across as if I was ignoring you, I'd love others join in on the fun (or misery depending on how you look at it!), in the end I'm not here to own anything and everything like some hoarder or anything, my wallet wouldn't allow it.

Last edited:
I have some friends in Japan that pick some stuff up for me in Mandarake but in terms of online I generally use auction sites like Yahoo Auctions and Mandarake Auction and Mail Order.
At last, now I can outbid you for every piece of '80s production art! After I've won the lottery.

I'm waiting on some reviews on the PQ before I commit, the packaging looks nice though.
I’m expecting it to be like the Doctor Who Blu Ray sets: nothing groundbreaking but with a cleaner picture and audio that showcase just how lacking the DVDs were. The DVDs look pretty mediocre on my TV so I’m curious to see how they cleaned it all up.

Can’t say I’m looking forward to revisiting series’ VII and VIII though.

Back