What did you BUY today?

Some new dvd orders today

Matrix Revolutions
American Psycho
The assasination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford SE (preorder)
Rescue Dawn (po)
I Am Legend SE (po)
Hitman (po)
30 days of night SE (po)

Keep forgetting as I am wearing them picked up my new glasses on Saturday lucky it was specsavers so a pair of glasses and a pair of sunglasses for £170 (ouch lucky I only have to do it every two years). I think when I was first trying to pick some the week before they were getting quite tired of me as I seemed to really hate all the things they suggested (I don't do the heavy frames that are in fashion) this also was not helped by my normal problem when choosing glasses of having a wide head so nothing fits.

Suki volume 2
Fruits basket volume 4
Giant bar of dairy milk
A book for my mum Possesions by Peter James
A lindt chocolate bunny as an easter present for my mum

Picked up the first issue of Beasts & Beings. Love the dragon statue and the magazine is actually a worthy read and quite interesting.
Looks like i'll be picking these up as i find them.

Pub lunch and then went out and bought a ZX9R

tw807n6471is6.jpg

McIcy said:
Pub lunch and then went out and bought a ZX9R

The way you said that just made me believe you do things like that all the time... Oh, let me have a pie today, and after I could mm I don't know, buy a bike :D

Just joking here dude, the bike is awesome and if it was me who got a bike like that I would possibly be bragging about it too :)

I was in town today, watching the St. Patrick's Day parade with friends and I was in a good mood so I decided to treat myself and I bought a steelbook special edition of the supremely awesome Chicago on DVD and Kanye West's Graduation album (I bought it on iTunes the day it came out, but all that artwork and the fact it's Kanye West made me buy the physical copy of the album). ^___^

chaos said:
the bike is awesome and if it was me who got a bike like that I would possibly be bragging about tit too

LOL!

Bought from UP1:
Shuffle! Vol. 1 anime
My Dearest Devil Princess vol. 1 manga
Negima 17 manga

Recently got 3 easter eggs for the family.

CitizenGeek said:
...Kanye West's Graduation album (I bought it on iTunes the day it came out, but all that artwork and the fact it's Kanye West made me buy the physical copy of the album).
The artwork is by Japanese artist Takashi Murakami. I just finished writing an essay on his work and the Superflat art movement. What might also interest you is that he makes very long comparisons between Evangelion/Shinji and the situation of postwar Japan. If you can get hold of a copy of 'Little Boy: the rising art of the Japanese subculture' then do because it's a really fascinating read.

Sy said:
CitizenGeek said:
...Kanye West's Graduation album
The artwork is by Japanese artist Takashi Murakami.
This isn't specifically relevant to the artwork, But is to Kanye West's last album. I'd imagine its probably been pointed out before but in the song "Touch The Sky", When Lupe Fiasco first enters he says "Yes, yes, yes guess who's on third? Lupe still like Lupin the Third.". It seems Kanye has created the rest of his homeboys into the common otaku. ^__^ Fantastic. I wonder how many other anime references Kanye West has inserted into his songs.

Sy said:
The artwork is by Japanese artist Takashi Murakami. I just finished writing an essay on his work and the Superflat art movement. What might also interest you is that he makes very long comparisons between Evangelion/Shinji and the situation of postwar Japan. If you can get hold of a copy of 'Little Boy: the rising art of the Japanese subculture' then do because it's a really fascinating read.

Yeah, I know of Takashi Murakami (thanks to Japanorama's profiling of him) and I adore the artwork he done for kanYe West's album. But I'm very interested in finding out more about the Evangelion link - any idea where I can more info on that? Thanks for the book recommendation, I'll be sure to check it out! :]

Jayme said:
This isn't specifically relevant to the artwork, But is to Kanye West's last album. I'd imagine its probably been pointed out before but in the song "Touch The Sky", When Lupe Fiasco first enters he says "Yes, yes, yes guess who's on third? Lupe still like Lupin the Third.". It seems Kanye has created the rest of his homeboys into the common otaku. ^__^ Fantastic. I wonder how many other anime references Kanye West has inserted into his songs.

Touch the Sky isn't on kanYe's lastest album :/ But I've never noticed that in the lyrics before. Cool :]

Kinda neat there was a Lupin III mention. Shame that he pronounced it wrong though.

CitizenGeek said:
Yeah, I know of Takashi Murakami (thanks to Japanorama's profiling of him) and I adore the artwork he done for kanYe West's album. But I'm very interested in finding out more about the Evangelion link - any idea where I can more info on that? Thanks for the book recommendation, I'll be sure to check it out! :]
I just pulled it out to have another read through it and it looks like I got the title a little wrong in my last post. The proper title is 'Little Boy: The Arts of Japan's Exploding Subculture' but I was really lucky in getting a copy of this for £15 at my local library because I just checked on amazon and it's going for around £80. :eek: I suggest asking for it at your library.

In the book there's a lengthy essay in which Murakami describes the similarities between Shinji's state of mind and how he feels that it's a relfection of how Japan has reacted postwar. It doesn't just focus on Eva though and covers a lot of subjects. Mainly the Superflat movement and it's critique of the otaku subculture.

Something else that might be of interest is Art Safari presented by Ben Lewis. On one episode the focus was on Murakami and his Superflat work which goes into much more depth than Japanorama. I usually get somebody to tape it me off BBC4. It might be worth a look, they're well made documentaries.

CitizenGeek said:
Touch the Sky isn't on kanYe's lastest album :/ But I've never noticed that in the lyrics before. Cool :]
Haha, You miss read what I said. I said "last" album. Not latest, or lastest - I suppose its all that drinking you've been up to this weekend. ;p

Back