US Region Free Blu-rays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mangaranga said:
Posting some updates momentarily.

EDIT:
Another is region AB despite not stating on the Box - boots to Hanabee Logo
- Despite the new message on the back of Sentai's boxes stating that discs will only work on US/Canadian players, Another worked fine on my BDX3200 set to Region A.

I guess you have a Region free BD Player then?

NormanicGrav said:
Mangaranga said:

EDIT:
- Despite the new message on the back of Sentai's boxes stating that discs will only work on US/Canadian players, Another worked fine on my BDX3200 set to Region A.

PS3, Region Free BD player and a £20 BD drive for my PC coupled with Anydvd HD and MPC-HC w/Kawaii Codec Pack.

Mangaranga said:
NormanicGrav said:
Mangaranga said:

EDIT:

PS3, Region Free BD player and a £20 BD drive for my PC coupled with Anydvd HD and MPC-HC w/Kawaii Codec Pack.

Nice, I have BD built in laptop with a Multiregional BD player and a mini Samsung BD player.

So are you 100% sure the new banner doesn't affect the content if people (like myself) use the Sentai Trick on B players/PS3s?

NormanicGrav said:
Nice, I have BD built in laptop with a Multiregional BD player and a mini Samsung BD player.

So are you 100% sure the new banner doesn't affect the content if people (like myself) use the Sentai Trick on B players/PS3s?
Whilst I can't comment as to whether the trick still works (Since I don't actually have any recent A Locked Sentai Blurays yet, should be getting Sentai's Garden of Words soon), it doesn't appear to affect people with multiregion players. Basically their new authoring method supposedly stops playback on region A devices outside of the US and Canada. Doesn't seem to be the case here but as I said, it's AB anyway, it may be an exception. Will be interesting to see whether future Sentai/NISA releases are restricted here.

Mangaranga said:
NormanicGrav said:
Whilst I can't comment as to whether the trick still works (Since I don't actually have any recent A Locked Sentai Blurays yet, should be getting Sentai's Garden of Words soon), it doesn't appear to affect people with multiregion players. Basically their new authoring method supposedly stops playback on region A devices outside of the US and Canada. Doesn't seem to be the case here but as I said, it's AB anyway, it may be an exception. Will be interesting to see whether future Sentai/NISA releases are restricted here.

Garden of Words should be enough to confirm it.

Mangaranga said:
Basically their new authoring method supposedly stops playback on region A devices outside of the US and Canada.
That lock out is only limited to Japanese players as I've run the patlabor tv series collection which also has that notice without issues in my player with it set to zone A and to zone B using the bypass method which pretty much confirms that the bypass method still works (even though maiden Japan is a different company, it does use the same BD authoring facilities as sentai).

Mangaranga said:
Basically their new authoring method supposedly stops playback on region A devices outside of the US and Canada.
And how exactly does it determine where my Region A BD player which has never been connected to the internet is..?

ayase said:
Mangaranga said:
And how exactly does it determine where my Region A BD player which has never been connected to the internet is..?

Last edited by a moderator:
ayase said:
Mangaranga said:
It doesn't base the information in IP addresses, it's based on the country code the player is set to (you are able to change this setting, but only on players that have a country code option) but it's a moot point since (as I've already said) it's only there to block playback on Japanese BD players.

NormanicGrav said:
Heaven's Lost Property Season 2 is REGION LOCKED, most likely due to the delay that was set on this.
There would be no point in that since US and Japan are in the same region anyway which is why there was a delay.
The more likely reason is that FUNi do not have Region B home video rights (although they did stream the series to the UK) and/or aren't authoring/printing discs for either Manga or Madman.

Being an Aniplex USA release it was obvious this was going to be the case, but I'll just confirm that Blue Exorcist Part 1 is region free anyway.

demonix said:
Mangaranga said:
That lock out is only limited to Japanese players as I've run the patlabor tv series collection which also has that notice without issues in my player with it set to zone A and to zone B using the bypass method which pretty much confirms that the bypass method still works (even though maiden Japan is a different company, it does use the same BD authoring facilities as sentai).

Ooh so Patlabor tv works with the bypass method? Interesting....

Here's an interesting one, I watched the first disc of Ef: A Tale of Melodies on my PC, and whilst looking at the on disc files it has the boot up Hanabee screen on disc. So I put the disc in my PS3 and turns out that it's actually region AB.

But wait, had Hanabee even been announced back in Feb/March 2012? EDIT: Announced back in mid April 2012, but didn't release A Tale of Melodies until Feb this year.
I suppose it's possible that Sentai could have re-pressed AB discs later on for Hanabee to import and distribute, but this is not the case with my copy of the first series - A Tale of Memories. I also don't see any reason why Sentai would pay to re-author a disc to add two new short files and make the disc multi-region when there's no benefit to them.

EDIT: Disc 2 has trailers for the first series, Dream Eater Merry and Inu X Boku, so the copy I have must have been re-authored by Sentai.

It could be that Hanabee paid Sentai to modify their masters ready for when they needed to do a new batch - it would be cheaper than having to pay someone else to make masters from scratch.
ISTR that FUNimation's have added region B to later printings of titles that Madman were releasing.

Mangaranga said:
EDIT: Disc 2 has trailers for the first series, Dream Eater Merry and Inu X Boku, so the copy I have must have been re-authored by Sentai.
I can pretty much confirm the re-authoring since the original disc 2 has the Clannad trailer instead of the Inu X Boku trailer (although it might vary depending on the region code of the player).

The code on the underside of my version is X12A3003(3004 for the second layer on disc 1 and 3002 for disc 2) SFBEFM2001 (and 2002 for disc 2) if there is any change in those codes between the two masters.

I'll confirm 100% when my copy arrives but the back of the Haganai box states that it is region AB
1010394_693769063983628_1900260527_n.jpg

Haganai: I Don't Have Many Friends Complete Series - tested and confirmed region A/B

Shining Hearts Complete Collection is also region A/B, even though the back of the box states A only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back