US Region Free Blu-rays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agent-347 said:
I have been reading posts on blu-ray.com, and somebody posted back covers for certain series.
I can confirm Sekirei will be A+B. Also Fairy Tail collection 1 & 2 will be repackaged, and thus be A+B. ^_^

Of course that is assuming they haven't made a mistake on the cover art, but that doesn't happen that much IIRC. :)

Wahey! Brilliant!! Thanks so much :)

demonix said:
BDT87 said:
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 has been released now, I have seen a few updates on YouTube, people picking it up. But no one has confirmed is its Region Free yet?
It says A on the case but wonder if it will work on region B as well.
Cheers
It'll probably work the same way as most sentai BD releases, as long as the ability to select titles manually is in that one (since it's the first BD release from Maiden Japan and I can't be that sure if they'd be done the same way even the two companies do have a distributor in common).
A little update on this matter.

I've confirmed that the Patlabor OVA collection works using the method for getting Sentai blu-rays to play on a zone B machine, so the glitch will likely cover Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 as well.

demonix said:
demonix said:
BDT87 said:
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 has been released now, I have seen a few updates on YouTube, people picking it up. But no one has confirmed is its Region Free yet?
It says A on the case but wonder if it will work on region B as well.
Cheers
It'll probably work the same way as most sentai BD releases, as long as the ability to select titles manually is in that one (since it's the first BD release from Maiden Japan and I can't be that sure if they'd be done the same way even the two companies do have a distributor in common).
A little update on this matter.

I've confirmed that the Patlabor OVA collection works using the method for getting Sentai blu-rays to play on a zone B machine, so the glitch will likely cover Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 as well.

How about a European PS3?

Mangaranga said:
Yakumo said:
I am going to sound really smug now, and for that I ask your forgiveness, but ever since I bought my region-free Oppo blu-ray player the region code of a blu-ray disc has ceased to be a factor in my decision-making process for purchasing an anime blu-ray.

Sorry, but I just had to say that.
Eh, there's quite a lot of us here who have multi-region BD players, myself included.
He can still feel fairly smug, Oppo players really are very nice.

ilmaestro said:
Mangaranga said:
Yakumo said:
I am going to sound really smug now, and for that I ask your forgiveness, but ever since I bought my region-free Oppo blu-ray player the region code of a blu-ray disc has ceased to be a factor in my decision-making process for purchasing an anime blu-ray.

Sorry, but I just had to say that.
Eh, there's quite a lot of us here who have multi-region BD players, myself included.
He can still feel fairly smug, Oppo players really are very nice.

I don't have a multi region BD player. I want one though, I just don't know if I can get one at a decent affordable price

Might hang on for the Australian Patlabor releases - naturally UK compatible. I know it's apparently the way the Sentai discs are coded, but the paranoid part of me suspects that future player purchases and their software updates could block the workaround.

Just confirming that Dusk Maiden is 100% AB. When the player is set to region B it boots to the Hanabee Logo instead of Sentai's.

I can confirm that The Princess and The Pilot Premium Edition Box and Umineko Premium Edition Box will run on EU PS3.

Anyone know, if ef - a tale of melodies or ef - a tale of memories can run on a EU PS3?

artemisthemp said:
I can confirm that The Princess and The Pilot Premium Edition Box and Umineko Premium Edition Box will run on EU PS3.

Anyone know, if ef - a tale of melodies or ef - a tale of memories can run on a EU PS3?
Hanabee released Region B Blurays in Australia, Sentai's Blurays however are region A locked BUT play using this method.

NISA's Hanasaku Iroha Part 1!

I just got this for the DVDs TBH, but had to try the Blu-rays just in case

Region A locked on the packaging and the warning screen shows up when discs are played. But there is a simple workaround on my Region B Panasonic BD player.

Pressing the Top Menu button when the warning screen appears, or when the disc has stopped by itself takes it to the main menu screen, and it's all playable from there. In addition while it says that subs are locked during playback, you can toggle them on and off via the remote.

I know that NISA BDs are lightly locked, in that they appear to all play on EU Region B PS3s

Maybe it's worth trying them in regular players as well, to see if the top menu workaround works for all of them, or just Hanasaku Iroha Part 1.

Anyway, now I have to cross my fingers for Part 2 to work this way as well.

Just Passing Through said:
Maybe it's worth trying them in regular players as well, to see if the top menu workaround works for all of them, or just Hanasaku Iroha Part 1.
Most likely it's only that one, as I tried anohana in my Toshiba BDX1200 (set to zone B) and the top menu button was locked out.

So I was a but interested to try this a moment ago so I shoved Lagrange in my PS3. Turns out Viz don't lock their menus either, however you are on about a 5 second timer before you are kicked back to the XMB. Basically when the region lock screen comes, up mash Square if are on the PS3 (or triangle - top menu if you are more civilised ;) ) and you will be taken to the main menu. Everything appears to work as it should. I'll try it out some more.

EDIT: Confirming that the following all work flawlessly on a PS3: (Everything works including BD Menu)
Lagrange The Flower of Rin-ne (1080i)
Tiger & Bunny Part 1
Tiger & Bunny Part 2
All Three are locked to Eng Dub/Eng Dub+Sub/Jap Dub+Sub though.

People can go ahead and import Tiger and Bunny now :D
I'll test them on my BD player tomorrow and report back if I get the same results.

Mangaranga said:
People can go ahead and import Tiger and Bunny now :D
I'll test them on my BD player tomorrow and report back if I get the same results.

So did these work on a regular BD player?

Anyway, got Hanasaku Iroha Part 2 today, and I have a matching pair!

Top Menu button at the Region lock screen takes me to the main menu on a Region B Panasonic Blu-ray player, and everything's playable from there. And once again, the subtitles are on-offable through the remote, despite what's written on the gorgeous box.

Anyone confirmed if the newer Sentai Filmworks releases work on Region B players using the Bypass method?

I'm planning on picking up Elfen Lied and Wings for Honneamise this Autumn but with this new lock method they did to counter reverse importation, I was wondering if anyone was able to get one of them to work (examples include Another, Garden of Words, and any title from June onwards).

Also, just to confirm a few things:
Eden of the East: The Complete Series is A & B just like the films were. Also 1, 2 & 4 for DVDs.
Evangelion 1.11: You Are (Not) Alone is A & B, did some research and found the back box displaying this.
Fairy Tail: Part 5 is A & B. Collection 2 should be A & B as well if since it's Part 3 & 4 combined (also A & B). 1, 2 & 4 for DVDs.
Hiiro no Kakera Season 1 is A & B, just to confirm it fully.
Howl's Moving Castle is A, B & C with 1 for DVD.
Iron Man: Rise of Technovore is A, B & C.
Laputa: Castle in the Sky is A, B & C with 1 for DVD.
My Neighbor Totoro is A, B & C with 1 for DVD.
Sengoku Basara: Season 1 & 2 Collection has Season 2 Region A & B only, just like its original release.
Whisper of the Heart is A, B & C with 1 for DVD.

Heaven's Lost Property Season 2 is REGION LOCKED, most likely due to the delay that was set on this.
Queen's Blade: Season 3 is REGION LOCKED and will require Sentai Bypass Trick.

Anohana is now OOP.

Posting some updates momentarily.

EDIT:
Another is region AB despite not stating on the Box - boots to Hanabee Logo
- Despite the new message on the back of Sentai's boxes stating that discs will only work on US/Canadian players, Another worked fine on my BDX3200 set to Region A.
Confirming that Lagrange and both sets of Tiger and Bunny work simply by pressing the Top Menu Button (BD Player) or Square for PS3s
- You do have to press it within 3-5 seconds though or you are booted back to the BD Home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back