US Region Free Blu-rays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hanasaku Iroha works on my Region B Panasonic, but only after I use the Main Menu button at the Region lock screen. It then takes me straight to the main menu, ignoring the logos.

But yeah, this would be the first explicitly stated multi-region title.

Does anyone know if the new "Grave of the Fireflies" release is region locked?

Or the standard edition of "Black Butler" season 2?

SnowWolf said:

By new, you mean the Studio Canal version or the Australian version? Both are most likely locked to Region B only.

Black Butler Season 2 is Region A and B (BD) with Region 1 (DVD). Both Standard and Limited Edition since it's the same discs.

NormanicGrav said:
SnowWolf said:

By new, you mean the Studio Canal version or the Australian version? Both are most likely locked to Region B only.

Black Butler Season 2 is Region A and B (BD) with Region 1 (DVD). Both Standard and Limited Edition since it's the same discs.

Neither, the new US release by Section 23.

What is this Sentai Bypass trick?

Also, are Aniplex USA releases working in Region B? More precisely Bakemonogatari+Nisemonogatari.

Tind said:

Also, are Aniplex USA releases working in Region B? More precisely Bakemonogatari+Nisemonogatari.

The bypass trick is basically where you have a Sentai Blu-ray title playing on your region B player (or PlayStation 3) and be able to bypass the Region Lock screen to watch all the content the disc can provide.
Myself and others have been doing this for various Sentai titles including Angel Beats, Clannad, Infinite Stratos, The World God Only Knows (Season 1 and 2) and UN-GO.

There's also a thread that explains a bit more.

As for the Aniplex USA titles, so far most titles released on Blu-ray have been region free. All DVDs are locked to Region 1.
Examples of Blu-ray titles region free from Aniplex USA:
Baccano!
Bakemonogatari
Blue Exorcist
Durarara!!
Nisemonogatari
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Volumes 1, 2 & 3)
Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Film 1 and 2 [Import]

So far no one has mentioned or confirmed Gurren Lagann, Oreimo: Season 1, R.O.D. TV and Sword Art Online so they're probably also region free.

High School DxD - Complete Series - tested and confirmed region A/B

Sword Art Online (S.A.O) Box Set 1: Aincrad Part 1 - region free

List updated, thanks everyone.

NormanicGrav said:
Tind said:

The bypass trick is basically where you have a Sentai Blu-ray title playing on your region B player (or PlayStation 3) and be able to bypass the Region Lock screen to watch all the content the disc can provide.
Myself and others have been doing this for various Sentai titles including Angel Beats, Clannad, Infinite Stratos, The World God Only Knows (Season 1 and 2) and UN-GO.

There's also a thread that explains a bit more.

As for the Aniplex USA titles, so far most titles released on Blu-ray have been region free. All DVDs are locked to Region 1.
Examples of Blu-ray titles region free from Aniplex USA:
Baccano!
Bakemonogatari
Blue Exorcist
Durarara!!
Nisemonogatari
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Volumes 1, 2 & 3)
Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Film 1 and 2 [Import]

So far no one has mentioned or confirmed Gurren Lagann, Oreimo: Season 1, R.O.D. TV and Sword Art Online so they're probably also region free.

I tried that method on my Region B PS3 player and it really works on Sentai discs, nice way to cheat this stupid system :D It skips the Sentai logo, intro trailer and main menu and jumps to the first episode instead. Just for fun I checked Shakugan no Shana S01 and seems FUNimation disabled "Go to" on their discs...another fumy things is I tried Bunny Drop Premium Edition from NISA too and even though it only writes "Region A" on the box, it plays without any problem on a Region B PS3. Oh well, seems I just use my Toshiba BDX3200 for FUNimation Region A releases and play anything else on the PS3.

Thx for the tip :D

Tind said:
I tried that method on my Region B PS3 player and it really works on Sentai discs, nice way to cheat this stupid system :D It skips the Sentai logo, intro trailer and main menu and jumps to the first episode instead. Just for fun I checked Shakugan no Shana S01 and seems FUNimation disabled "Go to" on their discs...another fumy things is I tried Bunny Drop Premium Edition from NISA too and even though it only writes "Region A" on the box, it plays without any problem on a Region B PS3. Oh well, seems I just use my Toshiba BDX3200 for FUNimation Region A releases and play anything else on the PS3.

Thx for the tip :D
Viz Media releases also work by pressing the Main Menu button, but I've only tried it with both parts of Tiger & Bunny and the first part of Lagrange.

Is there any particular reason so many North American BDs are region A&B, you don't get so much of that with other animation & live action from North America?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back