US Region Free Blu-rays

Status
Not open for further replies.
NormanicGrav said:
- Anohana the Movie: The Flowers We Saw That Day (no-one has tested it yet but given it's an Aniplex title it's guaranteed to be Region Free)
- Kill la Kill: Box Set 1 (no-one has tested it yet but given it's an Aniplex title it's guaranteed to be Region Free)
Tested & confirmed region free. Hardly surprising.

Emulsion said:
That is a strange one. 10 parts A/B and then switch to A only. If someone was collecting who could only play B discs, they could always get the Australian releases. Madman seem to be releasing them the same way as Funimation.
I was importing the original Kiddy Grade DVDs and lending them to a friend who could only play R2 discs. They started R1,2+4, then changed to R1+4 then IIRC ended up R1-only. Annoying.

LightOtaku said:
Is anyone getting the CCS set? Hoping it works on a UK PS3 like some of the other NIS titles.
Considering they fixed that bug last year, it's unlikely that the CCS set will work on a UK PS3.

LightOtaku said:
Is anyone getting the CCS set? Hoping it works on a UK PS3 like some of the other NIS titles.

I'm considering it. It's a lot of money, but I don't think we'll be getting it here.

VoxPhantom said:
I've ordered it, will give it a try when it arrives.
Fingers crossed!

demonix said:
Considering they fixed that bug last year, it's unlikely that the CCS set will work on a UK PS3.
So are you saying it hasn't worked on any title since they fixed this bug?

SnowWolf said:
I'm considering it. It's a lot of money, but I don't think we'll be getting it here.
Yeah that's why I want to order it asap.
I don't have a region-free Blu-ray player though, and i'm not going to buy one just for CCS (and maybe some others), especially since it's already quite pricey as it is.

LightOtaku said:
demonix said:
So are you saying it hasn't worked on any title since they fixed this bug?
Every title NIS have released in 2014 (aside from Kimi no Todoke's standard release, presumably using the same discs) have been locked to Region A and wouldn't work with the Playstations.

NormanicGrav said:
Every title NIS have released in 2014 (aside from Kimi no Todoke's standard release, presumably using the same discs) have been locked to Region A and wouldn't work with the Playstations.
I guess i'll just have to brace myself then.

NIS America's release of Cardcaptor Sakura - The Complete Series (Premium Edition) is Region Locked; tested it on Samsung & Panasonic Blu-ray players as well as PS3, PS4 and Xbox One consoles.

I'll be posting an unboxing of it on AnimeBlurayUK shortly; in the meantime heres a link to the region lock article.

Emo185 said:
NIS America's release of Cardcaptor Sakura - The Complete Series (Premium Edition) is Region Locked; tested it on Samsung & Panasonic Blu-ray players as well as PS3, PS4 and Xbox One consoles.

I'll be posting an unboxing of it on AnimeBlurayUK shortly; in the meantime heres a link to the region lock article.
Oh well. If NISA don't want my money, I won't give it to them.

It seems that the US Release of Sengoku Basara - The Last Party is actually Region Free, despite the discs (and boxart) listing Region A only.

The only reason I discovered this is because the Australian Blu-ray release of Sengoku Basara - Complete Collection (Season 1 & 2 + Movie) just arrived and it has the American (FUNimation) authored discs for Season 2 and the Movie.

Basically the collection is just 'Madman Authored Discs' for Season 1 then FUNimation authored discs for Season 2 and the Movie; whats more amusing is that the Movie discs only says Region A only (confirming that it is the American disc) yet it actually works in both Region A and Region B Blu-ray players.

Emo185 said:
It seems that the US Release of Sengoku Basara - The Last Party is actually Region Free, despite the discs (and boxart) listing Region A only.

The only reason I discovered this is because the Australian Blu-ray release of Sengoku Basara - Complete Collection (Season 1 & 2 + Movie) just arrived and it has the American (FUNimation) authored discs for Season 2 and the Movie.

Basically the collection is just 'Madman Authored Discs' for Season 1 then FUNimation authored discs for Season 2 and the Movie; whats more amusing is that the Movie discs only says Region A only (confirming that it is the American disc) yet it actually works in both Region A and Region B Blu-ray players.

Guess it makes sense. I think someone on this forum (presumably Mangaranga) has The Last Party so I curious to know if this is accurate.

Why do FUNi and co make discs region free?
This has me curious since the FUNi store, clearly states they can't ship outside the U.S/Ca, due to licencing, smh.

I'm not complaining though, since it's cheaper importing (mostly FUNi stuff) then a domestic purchase plus with FUNi you get an extra set of DVD's.

NormanicGrav said:
Emo185 said:

Guess it makes sense. I think someone on this forum (presumably Mangaranga) has The Last Party so I curious to know if this is accurate.
I thought it was always known to be region AB so I never thought to mention it. My bad.

Baggie_Saiyan said:
Why do FUNi and co make discs region free?
Usually if Funi has the UK/AUS/African rights to a show then they release a dual region disc. In some cases it's because they have the rights to sell in African territories and in others they may have a deal to share costs with Madman. Manga/Madman usually sub license their titles from Funimation (Maou Sama for example is Region AB, and the UK rights are sublicensed from Funi), however there are some cases where Manga will go direct to the licensor to pick up a show like they did with Steins;Gate (which is region A locked).

Baggie_Saiyan said:
This has me curious since the FUNi store, clearly states they can't ship outside the U.S/Ca, due to licencing, smh.
Funi may not directly be able to, but anyone else can - e.g. Amazon, Rightstuf etc.
It has a good side affect for them as they get sales from imports, whilst we get a better product than the local release, usually for the same price if not cheaper.

That actually explains a lot! Thanks.
I thought they made them B just to make it easier for Madman/Manga but then some titles like as FMA:B were locked so I didn't know what to think. But the whole going direct to licensor makes sense, thanks!

Since Steins Gate is locked, does that mean the new anime classics will be too? I assume they're just going to repackage the old discs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back