US Region Free Blu-rays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phew, I almost bought Ghost Hound months back having seen a good deal on it, bought then thought the risk of it being locked and not being able to bypass was too great, now that I can play region locked BD's it shan't be problem (if I ever come across that deal again was £20 plus something like £3 p&p) It does genuinely feel awesome I don't have to worry about locking anymore :)

Baggie_Saiyan said:
Phew, I almost bought Ghost Hound months back having seen a good deal on it, bought then thought the risk of it being locked and not being able to bypass was too great, now that I can play region locked BD's it shan't be problem (if I ever come across that deal again was £20 plus something like £3 p&p) It does genuinely feel awesome I don't have to worry about locking anymore :)

I can't find a Region-Free Blu-Ray player at a reasonable price. :( Where did you get yours?

Bought a blu-ray drive for my laptop (£27.99) and the software iDeer blu-ray player plays the blu-rays regardless of region code. You could also use AnyDVD or DvdFabPassKey to bypass region region code.

Then connect the laptop to TV via VGA & Aux Cable or just HDMI(if the laptop has that).

It's a hassle lol. But worth it.

One drawback doing it this way is internet connection is required to "verify" the blu-rays but once it starts playing it isn't needed anymore.

lelouchnarukami said:
Baggie_Saiyan said:

I can't find a Region-Free Blu-Ray player at a reasonable price. :( Where did you get yours?
Check shops like cash converters and cash generator, I got my Region free Philips for £20 from one of them.

lelouchnarukami said:
Baggie_Saiyan said:

What you're probably finding are players that have a modification that bypasses the region lockouts (you still have to manually select the region on the BD side), and the modification costs a lot which is why the price is higher then the unmodified version (unless you find one of the toshiba BD players that can be made region free for DVD and multi region for BD with a firmware update).

lelouchnarukami said:
Baggie_Saiyan said:

I bought my Phillips BDP3000 blu-ray player from someone on avforums and they updated it with firmware that would allow it to play Region A blu-rays and any region dvds, which only cost me £40. Along with that i use my PS3 to play the Region B/UK blu-rays so it's abit more hassle than one region free blu-ray player but works for me :)

If you can find a cheap Phillips BDP3000 player you should be able to find the firmware software to make it Region A somewhere online.

Figured I'll mention it here then.

The following titles from the Funimation November line-up is stated to be Region B compatible:
B Gata H Kei: Yamada's First Time: Complete Series [S.A.V.E.]
High School DxD New (Season 2): Complete Series [Standard & Limited Edition]

NormanicGrav said:
Figured I'll mention it here then.

The following titles from the Funimation November line-up is stated to be Region B compatible:
B Gata H Kei: Yamada's First Time: Complete Series [S.A.V.E.]
High School DxD New (Season 2): Complete Series [Standard & Limited Edition]

Added both series to the list. Thanks :)

Got my copies of Watamote and Morbito in today. I'll double confirm that Watamote is indeed region free.
Morbito is "Region Locked" which is nice considering I though Viz fixed this with the release of Accel World. If you press the top menu button or Square on the PS3 controller within 5 seconds of the region lock screen coming up, you're taken to the main menu where everything functions normally.

Mangaranga said:
Got my copies of Watamote and Morbito in today. I'll double confirm that Watamote is indeed region free.
Morbito is "Region Locked" which is nice considering I though Viz fixed this with the release of Accel World. If you press the top menu button or Square on the PS3 controller within 5 seconds of the region lock screen coming up, you're taken to the main menu where everything functions normally.

I figured that would be the case with Morbito since they didn't add Song/Sign subtitles to it (strange theory I have). Seems like every title without that feature works with the Top Menu option.

Thought I'd let it be known, watching DBZ S6 and everything's okay regarding region code as expected. (Except for the PS4 not resuming where I let off. Eurgh! ).

I don't know if it's been said yet, but since it's green on the main page, I'll go ahead and confirm that DBZ S6 is region B compatible.

EDIT: Damn it, the confirmation was literally 2 posts above. It's what I get for replying from the first page >_>

Not sure if any of these have been mentioned recently but here goes!

These will all want testing when they are released but according to the FUNimation website the following Blu-rays will be Region B Compatible:

B Gata H Kei: Complete Series - Region: A|B|1|4
Bayonetta: Bloody Fate - Region: A|B|1|4
Black Butler - Season 2 (Anime Classics) - Region: A|B|1|4
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 - Region: A|B
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 - Region: A|B
Highschool DxD New: Complete Series - Region: A|B|1|2|4

Meanwhile the following are Region A only:

A Certain Magical Index - Season 1 - Region: A|1
A Certain Magical Index - Season 2 Part 1 - Region: A|1
Attack on Titan - Part 2 - Region: A|1
Cowboy Bebop - Complete Series (Funimation Exclusive) - Region: A|1
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods - Region: A|1
Fairy Tail - Part 12 - Region: A|1
Fairy Tail - Part 13 - Region: A|1
Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Borders 1 and 2 - Region: A|1
Steins Gate: Complete Series (Anime Classics) - Region: A|1

The following are Region A Only, but the DVD discs are listed as Region 2 Compatible:

Hellsing Ultimate: Volume 9 and 10 - Region: A|1|2

The following do not currently have a Blu-ray Region listed:

One Piece: Film Z - Region: 1

So yea that pretty much covers everything released by FUNimation until late October, but as always the ones listed as REGION A may work on Region B players and vice versa for titles listed as Region B.

Don't worry Emo185 we've been aware but thanks for the quick reminder.

I figured since the list for August helped, I'll make another one for September (makes it easier for Titan I guess).

So here's a summary of the list of titles arriving this month (+ who's confirmed what):

Confirmed as Region B compatible:
- Gatchaman Crowds: Complete Collection - Confirmed by Type45 - Box states Region A
- Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya: Complete Collection - Confirmed by Bazza - Box states Region A
- Golden Time: Collection 1 [Subtitled Only] - Confirmed by Mangaranga - Box states Region A
- Majestic Prince: Collection 2 - Confirmed by Bazza - Box states Region A

Confirmed as Region Locked:
- Attack on Titan: Part 2 - Confirmed by various AUKN members
- Fairy Tail: Part 12 - Confirmed by thedoctor2016
- HAL - Confirmed by Mangaranga
- Love Live! School Idol Project: Season 1 [Premium Edition] - Confirmed by NormanicGrav

Untested (Highlighted are assumed to work [stating Region B or simple Aniplex logic]):
- Blood Lad: Complete Collection
- Dragon Ball Z: Season 7
- Ghost in the Shell (25th Anniversary Edition)
- Kämpfer (TV + OVA): Complete Collection [Subtitled Only]
- Listen to Me, Girls. I Am Your Father!: Complete Collection [Subtitled Only]
- One Piece Film Z
- Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt: Complete Collection [Anime Classics]
- Psychic Detective Yakumo: Complete Collection [Subtitled Only]
- Ramna 1/2: Set 3 [Limited Edition]
- Steins;Gate: Complete Collection [Anime Classics]
- Valvrave the Liberator: Season 1

Disappointed by Fairy Tail change from A/B to just A. However I will still buy part 12 and 13 as I want to see GMG arc in the english its my favourite arc. However I hope they are wrong with part 12 and 13 and its A/B again however i doubt it.

Emo185 said:
These will all want testing when they are released but according to the FUNimation website the following Blu-rays will be Region B Compatible:

If they're using disc stock from the full price releases (like they have been with other S.A.V.E edition releases), then there won't be any need to test that one.

demonix said:
Emo185 said:

If they're using disc stock from the full price releases (like they have been with other S.A.V.E edition releases), then there won't be any need to test that one.

Yea it will be; I only said "these will all want testing" just so it would cover all basis.

Also Black Butler Season 2 (Anime Classics) will most likely be using the same discs as its original run (which were Region B compatible as I had that set).

thedoctor2016 said:
Disappointed by Fairy Tail change from A/B to just A. However I will still buy part 12 and 13 as I want to see GMG arc in the english its my favourite arc. However I hope they are wrong with part 12 and 13 and its A/B again however i doubt it.
Aye, I hate being restricted to the laptop and it is a hassle connected it to my TV, sometimes after work/uni you just wanna put the disc in and kick back. Anyway, I will double dip when Manga release their's and sell the region locked BD's on eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back