1. Welcome to the new Anime UK News forums! Please view this thread for more information regarding your account and the forums. If you can't log in, your password has been blanked and will need to be reset.
    Dismiss Notice

Overseas US Region B/2 Compatible Blu-ray and DVD Imports

Discussion in 'Anime Industry Discussion' started by NormanicGrav, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Blaize

Blaize School Idol

You can add CB Go Nagai World to the Discotek list ;)

2. IncendiaryLemon

IncendiaryLemon Captain Karen AUKN Staff

Just received Kiniro Mosaic Season 2 and it appears to be Region A/B. I've tried it on my PS4 and my Region Free BD player with the Region code set to A and B and it plays fine on both, no bypass or anything required.

3. NormanicGrav

NormanicGrav Hai Hai Grav desu Moderator

If you tried it on a PlayStation then it's geolocked.

[​IMG]

Working out which Sentai BD is region free is actually more complicated now. The Sentai discs are geolocked and a majority of the players are set to United States. All current consoles are geolocked as well.

4. IncendiaryLemon

IncendiaryLemon Captain Karen AUKN Staff

The fact it works on my BD player is what makes it A/B. Chuunibyou doesn't work at all on that player, for example, despite it being Region Free, yet works on my PS4, so the fact that it works on both my BD Player when set to Region B as well as Region A and my PS4 makes it A/B.

5. NormanicGrav

Fair enough.

[​IMG]

6. crashmatt

crashmatt Magical Girl

Confirmed Overlord is region locked both Blu Ray and DVD.

7. Rena Ryuugu

Rena Ryuugu Oyashiro-Sama

Just a heads up, Dragon Ball Z Movie collection 3 is R1 only as I tried all 3 discs on my PS4 and I got the region error message for each one.

8. NormanicGrav

Looks like all Funi sets will be A|1 given they are coming over to the UK. Ah well.

9. Buzz201

Buzz201 Cardcaptor

So much for them matching the US in every single aspect... If there's are A|1, ours should be too...

:p

Jaysgba and NormanicGrav like this.
  10. Lambadelta

Lambadelta Hunter

noooooo!!! dam guess no nice limited edition for Overlord T_T

11. Otaku-san

Otaku-san Chuunibyou

God Damn it Funi! your meant to do one job

I guess I should make it a point to buy a US blu-ray player in the future or something...

12. HdE

HdE Comic Book Guy

Quickie DVD update:

The postie delivered a shiny new copy of Discotek's Gun Frontier collection today. And, predictably, it works in my region 2 players.

HOWEVER - two things of note:

1. Picture quality on this release is quite poor. It has a soapy, ill-defined quality that comes as a real let down considering how good Discotek usually are at sourcing high quality transfers. DVD should look better than this, thse days.

2. It's worth noting that Discotek have been making noises on Facebook about licensors demanding that their Blu Rays, at least, be region locked. I wonder if this will eventually affect their DVD releases?

mikezilla2 likes this.
  13. NormanicGrav

I don't think the DVD sets will be an issue for Discotek, and the main reason I say this is because they mainly acquire titles that Japanese licensors wouldn't worry about. They're either too old to be concerned with, or a Blu-ray version exists somewhere.

But if it does become an issue, then it's best to keep it quiet. ;)

mikezilla2 likes this.
  14. PilibO

PilibO Dandy Guy, in Space

Does anyone know if the Pokemon Diamond/Pearl movies are region A locked or not? Thanks :)

15. Just Passing Through

Just Passing Through Guild Member

Funimation's Nichijou and Wolf's Rain are out now, and you can bet I'm waiting for when Blu-ray regions are confirmed for those.... Anyone?

16. Jaysgba

Jaysgba Magical Girl

Think I've seen mention of Nichijou being countrylocked.

17. NormanicGrav

As far as I'm aware every new Funimation release is A|1 only this year. Wolf's Rain should definitely be A|1 only because they only have US/CA rights.

18. Blaize

Blaize School Idol

Shocker! The Galaxy Railways OVA DVD by Discotek works!! :p

NormanicGrav and Jaysgba like this.
  19. mikezilla2

mikezilla2 Completely Average High School Student

can you give me examples of said Noises ? and are they looking to fix it or are all there blu rays going to be region locked ?

regardless how are Funi these days with regards to there blu rays being region locked ? might look at getting speed racer in the future ....

the Note there about appleseed failing to Bypass dos that include the new Disc pressing ?

20. NormanicGrav

All of their Blu-rays (aside from Night on the Galactic Railroad due to a glitch) is region locked.

As for Appleseed I don't know about their re-release, it is possible that it could have gotten a re-author (as Children Who Chase Lost Voices did) but best to ask around and see if they have tested it.