Upcoming UK Anime DVD Artwork!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bakum4tsu said:
That looks great! They have my money even though I only enjoyed the first half of the show. 2nd part was kinda meh at some point :\

Its because they did 10 days in our 1 and only 4 in cur 2 so your 2 was very tight little story as the Archer fight was made much longer and the Gil fight

Robbl said:
IncendiaryLemon said:
Plastic wrap? Like, cellophane?

This thing where the product information is written on. Anime Limited calls it plastic wrap in their unboxings on their blog.
Wait what? No they don't... It's just that the info sheet thingy is attached to the plastic wrap for those specific releases, like this. It's not called plastic wrap itself. Anyway in this case I think IL is right, it looks more like an o-card to me, kind of like AL's Kill la Kill (I've seen AL call them obi wrap and belly band too).

Are you using the term "Loli" to mean something along the lines of "sexualised young female character"? It's pretty commonly used for any young or young looking character these days, with sexualisation having nothing to do with it. There's a bit of debate about what the actual criteria are for a character to be a Loli but sexualisation isn't required by the most common usages.

I often hear the argument about the origins of the word but to be honest I just don't think it holds weight, it's common usage is more important I'd say. Language is a funny thing. I guess it's useful to have a word for the common type of character that doesn't require people to say "I like young girls" or to use highly specific complex and conditional wording to avoid saying that. Admittedly, "I like Lolis" could be fairly easily misinterpreted too but I think it works better since it usually differentiates between real young girls and young girl anime characters.

If you want to complain about increased fanservice involving or sexualisation of a particular character then it might be easier to just say that (or something along those lines).

Having said all that, I don't claim to be some expert on language or authority on how it should be used. Still, based on your use of the term and not having any real experience with the Fate universe, I did wonder if Illya had been an adult character in previous appearances (presumably not, judging by the responses).

I always interpret loli as being more of a body type than anything else. Like Nico from Love Live or Suzu from Seitokai Yakuindomo for example. They would probably be considered a Loli even though they are like 17. I think it could be taken either way but I always take it as such.

Smeelia said:
Are you using the term "Loli" to mean something along the lines of "sexualised young female character"? It's pretty commonly used for any young or young looking character these days, with sexualisation having nothing to do with it. There's a bit of debate about what the actual criteria are for a character to be a Loli but sexualisation isn't required by the most common usages.

I often hear the argument about the origins of the word but to be honest I just don't think it holds weight, it's common usage is more important I'd say. Language is a funny thing. I guess it's useful to have a word for the common type of character that doesn't require people to say "I like young girls" or to use highly specific complex and conditional wording to avoid saying that. Admittedly, "I like Lolis" could be fairly easily misinterpreted too but I think it works better since it usually differentiates between real young girls and young girl anime characters.

If you want to complain about increased fanservice involving or sexualisation of a particular character then it might be easier to just say that (or something along those lines).

Having said all that, I don't claim to be some expert on language or authority on how it should be used. Still, based on your use of the term and not having any real experience with the Fate universe, I did wonder if Illya had been an adult character in previous appearances (presumably not, judging by the responses).

She is aged 18

I think Nico is an interesting example as she is clearly designed to be the 'loli' member of the group despite being one of the older members.

Other recent classic examples of lolis include Shinobu from the Monogatari franchise or Makina from the Grisaia series

Lutga said:
I think Nico is an interesting example as she is clearly designed to be the 'loli' member of the group despite being one of the older members.

Other recent classic examples of lolis include Shinobu from the Monogatari franchise or Makina from the Grisaia series

Regarding Monogatari, you also can't forget Hachikuji and Ononoki.

IncendiaryLemon said:
I always interpret loli as being more of a body type than anything else. Like Nico from Love Live or Suzu from Seitokai Yakuindomo for example. They would probably be considered a Loli even though they are like 17. I think it could be taken either way but I always take it as such.
Yeah, that seems to be one of the most common interpretations (perhaps the most common) that I hear. Taiga from Toradora is 18 (might be 17 at the start of the show) but frequently cited as an example of a Loli character, being one of the defining "Loli Tsundere" characters (or at least one of the best). It does make for an interesting discussion about whether Hotaru from Non Non Biyori counts though.

As to the Illya issue, I can understand not liking the way a particular character may be represented in a new show. I find the best option is to not worry about any official statements or "canon" and go with what you like. On the plus side, I don't think the Illya series is supposed to be canon or directly linked to the Fate universe at all anyway (though I could be wrong).

Hotaru doesn't, not under the body type definition anyway. That's more Komari. One of Hotaru's main traits is how she looks and acts like the oldest but is actually the second youngest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back