Upcoming UK Anime DVD Artwork!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst I do prefer the Blue Amaray, I must say that I really don't like the cropped cover and spine for Gundam. It has that amateurish MVM cover feel to it like Patlabor did. I personally much prefer Rightstuf's presentation. EDIT: I just spotted the reversible cover!

I'm also a bit skeptical about the video quality here. The JP sets are apparently (unfortunately) DNR'd to death anyway, but there's 21 dual audio episodes across two discs with extras... I do like how you have to point out on the blog that this TV production from the 1970s was not created in 16:9. The idea of people dismissing or being upset at a release being 4:3 is completely alien to me.

Since i only look at spines when titles are on my shelves, i don't see any reason to reverse the cover :p

But the inside cover is certainly more pleasing to the eyes :)

Glad it's got a reversible cover as i'm not a fan of the cropped image on the cover. I prefer it in a blue amaray tbh as then it won't stick out on the shelf.

Mrclt1994 said:
:'( was looking forward to the red amarays. Oh well, can't have it all, I guess.
There is a way to still get a red amaray ;) go on ebay and search The Hunger Games 2-Disc unseen edition. Costs about £3.50 and comes in a bright red 2-Disc Amaray case. Switch cases when it arrives and stick it back on ebay :D yes my friend you can have it all!! (but maybe buy 2 copies for Part 2 as well)

Jon O Fun said:
Mrclt1994 said:
:'( was looking forward to the red amarays. Oh well, can't have it all, I guess.
There is a way to still get a red amaray ;) go on ebay and search The Hunger Games 2-Disc unseen edition. Costs about £3.50 and comes in a bright red 2-Disc Amaray case. Switch cases when it arrives and stick it back on ebay :D yes my friend you can have it all!! (but maybe buy 2 copies for Part 2 as well)

Good idea!

Mangaranga said:
Whilst I do prefer the Blue Amaray, I must say that I really don't like the cropped cover and spine for Gundam. It has that amateurish MVM cover feel to it like Patlabor did. I personally much prefer Rightstuf's presentation. EDIT: I just spotted the reversible cover!

I'm also a bit skeptical about the video quality here. The JP sets are apparently (unfortunately) DNR'd to death anyway, but there's 21 dual audio episodes across two discs with extras... I do like how you have to point out on the blog that this TV production from the 1970s was not created in 16:9. The idea of people dismissing or being upset at a release being 4:3 is completely alien to me.

Extras are negligible on this release for better or worse and given the older nature of the content, it looks great still :)! Like you I was suspicious at the two discs at first 'til they came in. Need to re-watch a bit more before I comment.

Also yep, reversible cover for those who don't like the front one :)! You'll find the same on Part 2 as well for consistency :)

Best,

AP

anime_andrew said:
Mangaranga said:

Extras are negligible on this release for better or worse and given the older nature of the content, it looks great still :)! Like you I was suspicious at the two discs at first 'til they came in. Need to re-watch a bit more before I comment.

Also yep, reversible cover for those who don't like the front one :)! You'll find the same on Part 2 as well for consistency :)

Best,

AP
In Japan it was 5 discs so I expected at least 3 discs and I don't like the idea of 10 and 11 episodes on discs means they must be compressed JP do discs the best as I prefer more discs rather than less (so yes my ideal is 5 discs)

Mrclt1994 said:
Jon O Fun said:
Mrclt1994 said:

Good idea!
I change the boxes of my blu's quite a lot so I've done this a few times, managed to get Hunger Games with the red case from CEX for £3 then sold it for £8 on ebay :D

The black cases are the best but they're super hard to get a hold of (probably because they make everything look amazing!)

Anime fans are really really spoilt, no other industry only puts 5 episodes on a disc. When you can put 10 and 11 episodes on a disc and still have it look good, it's incredibly wasteful...

anime_andrew said:
BlackStrat said:
What happened to the red amaray?

Word has it - the red offended the Amuro-Ray Case.

Or they couldn't supply the qty requested sadly!

AP
The red case would have made the discs read 3x faster though :p

Oh yeah, I was wondering if you would be able to comment on the availability of the collector's box? I really, really want to buy this release but just can't justify it at this moment (between jobs); but want to buy it in the near future when I can.

Joshawott said:
anime_andrew said:
BlackStrat said:
What happened to the red amaray?

Word has it - the red offended the Amuro-Ray Case.

Or they couldn't supply the qty requested sadly!

AP
The red case would have made the discs read 3x faster though :p

Oh yeah, I was wondering if you would be able to comment on the availability of the collector's box? I really, really want to buy this release but just can't justify it at this moment (between jobs); but want to buy it in the near future when I can.
I believe Andrew said they would let us know when the box is low on stock like they did with Kill la Kill, but I could be wrong.

[Edit] I was indeed wrong, it was Jeremy.
JG said:
Obviously once we start to reach the limit of the allocation we will be sure to make it known in our weekly Newswire and through our social media channels.
source

Buzz201 said:
Anime fans are really really spoilt, no other industry only puts 5 episodes on a disc. When you can put 10 and 11 episodes on a disc and still have it look good, it's incredibly wasteful...
I'd say the problem is that other industries generally have far better sources to work from and people who know what they're doing, thus being able to achieve better quality at lower filesizes. As an anime distributor, you're generally receiving files of wildly variable quality to start with and then encoding from that. The Japanese approach to Blu-rays pretty much seems to be "we have no idea what we're doing so throw more bitrate at it". The whole process rests on having competent encoders on both ends.

Buzz201 said:

Then some releases only have 3 episodes on a disc look at my JP UBW then again its best looking set and you wouldn't get all the servants on their disc without so many

thedoctor2016 said:
Then some releases only have 3 episodes on a disc look at my JP UBW then again its best looking set and you wouldn't get all the servants on their disc without so many

Doing the right number of discs to match the number of servants is stupid. There's only one servant that matters, Rider, as long as he has his own disc, who cares?

It's 1.33:1, from a 16mm source and, reading above, degrained so 2 discs should be more than enough. Masters of Cinema split the 10 1/4 hour long Shoah across 2 BD50s and as you can see, that will have far more information inherent in the source than something like Mobile Suit Gundam (look at that grain!) and it looks terrific. Bitrate does matter, but what matters more - as Mangaranga said - is the encoder behind it (David Mackenzie did the aforementioned Shoah - he's indisputably the best in the business right now).

Buzz201 said:
thedoctor2016 said:

Doing the right number of discs to match the number of servants is stupid. There's only one servant that matters, Rider, as long as he has his own disc, who cares?
Wrong Fate, Rider is a woman in this Holy grail war

thedoctor2016 said:
Wrong Fate, Rider is a woman in this Holy grail war

I don't care, I was joking. I'm not really that interested in the Fate franchise and from what I saw of Fate/Zero, it's adaptation of the source wasn't brilliant. God only knows how bad the DEEN stuff can have been, given /Zero is considered the high watermark of adaptations of the franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back