Upcoming UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Artwork

Why would it be a joke, it's definitely lazy not to change American words to English such as maximiZing or theatER on a British release.
Why bother using Sentai’s licensor approved artwork when they can change it and risk it not being approved is your idea then?

It's just that I personally don't think it's too big an issue and more of a trivial nitpick so this reaction is fascinating to me. If you think this is bad wait until you see the subtitles. I wouldn't worry about it.
I don't think it's a big issue but I do think it's lazy.
The subtitles do irk me somewhat, as again, I find it lazy they haven't been changed to English.

Americans speak English as well lol
Well, that's debatable. :)
(I jest of course).

Why bother using Sentai’s licensor approved artwork when they can change it and risk it not being approved is your idea then?
Changing the spelling of a word is not changing the artwork and is absolutely allowed.
Can you imagine Sentai saying "NO! You cannot use the word colour on the artwork it HAS to be color" 😄

The subtitles are always American English anyway so makes sense for consistency.
I know they are always American English but that is just because the releases are on the whole lazy. They could easily be changed to English and the licensor wouldn't have any issues at all.

Just like the Clean Opening and Clean Closing are provided as 'extras' is in my view lazy.
Their purpose is for the different locales to add credits in their own language, so they don't have to see the Japanese credits and then have that lazy black screen with the scrolling text at the end.

I know they are always American English but that is just because the releases are on the whole lazy. They could easily be changed to English and the licensor wouldn't have any issues at all.
The licensors do have an issue with that ya know. We got a candid response about why the latest monogatari releases have the spelling of the title stylised differently on the spine, was because they literally weren't allowed to change the spelling of it like the previous ones and had to copy the US release.

Changing the spelling of a word is not changing the artwork and is absolutely allowed.
Can you imagine Sentai saying "NO! You cannot use the word colour on the artwork it HAS to be color" 😄
I absolutely can see the original Japanese licensor saying something like that and being padantic over something. Or they change tact completely on the design. You never know what they'll choose to have a hang up about, so often its easier to take the path of least resistance and use what has already been agreed and only change what is completely necessary.

Manga Entertainment, when they existed and used to localise titles to the UK, would redo the subtitles in shows like Psycho Pass, Steins;Gate and the early volumes of Naruto. It still completely throws me out of the show when a bad typo, or a bit of British slang shows up.

The licensors do have an issue with that ya know. We got a candid response about why the latest monogatari releases have the spelling of the title stylised differently on the spine, was because they literally weren't allowed to change the spelling of it like the previous ones and had to copy the US release.
Spelling and text stylisation are not the same thing.

so often its easier to take the path of least resistance and use what has already been agreed and only change what is completely necessary.
Exactly, that is the definition of lazy.

Manga Entertainment, when they existed and used to localise titles to the UK, would redo the subtitles in shows like Psycho Pass, Steins;Gate and the early volumes of Naruto. It still completely throws me out of the show when a bad typo, or a bit of British slang shows up.
I know what you mean, nothing is infallible but at least they tried and put effort in.

On the topic of Japanese licensors and just how willing they can be to pick holes in things, I hand you over to anime industry expert Jonathan Clements for a fascinating insight:

81iIerpCTfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

New distributor that’s why.
Yeah, still no idea how a distributor with no previous releases beat out Studio Canal.
Can only think they didn't bid on it...
I don't hate the steelbook design but it doesn't match the previous 21 I own 😭
May just get the collector's edition they're releasing as it looks like it comes with a rigid case and digipack. (Could be wrong though)

Perhaps they managed to outbid Studio Canal by cutting corners on proof-reading the packaging. Look at the bottom paragraph on the back:

"Her life changes dramatically when a strange couple take herin"

and

"As the headstrong young girl sets out to uncove the secrets of her new guardians"

😑

That first one, I genuinely initially read it as "Her life changes dramatically when a strange couple take heroin". 😛

Back