Upcoming UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Artwork

That's a really nice cover, the cut out on the slip is pretty classy.

EDIT: That is a cut out window...right? :p

Honestly, I love it. Much more subtle and subdued than Funi's. Whilst I suppose Funi's art knows it's audience, if the show really does have more universal appeal like people keep insisting it does, I think this is a better way to have the box than just having the wet, glistening men on the front. That and I always like windows on slipcovers.

This artwork is LESS subdued as it shows more of there bodies than FUNi's CE. And it is FUNi's artwork there SE artwork
Also I preferred the splash affect on Funis

thedoctor2016 said:
This artwork is LESS subdued as it shows more of there bodies than FUNi's CE. And it is FUNi's artwork there SE artwork
Also I preferred the splash affect on Funis

I think the slipcover adds a bit of class through, Funi's is in your face. Saying that, I could do without that spine image of just a pile of muscles...

IncendiaryLemon said:
I think the slipcover adds a bit of class through, Funi's is in your face. Saying that, I could do without that spine image of just a pile of muscles...

Aww, but it's hilarious! I'd like to see a full preview before deciding how much I like the overall design. C'mon Jeremy :)

R

It's funny how much people lose their minds when confronted with an anime that features topless male characters.

qaiz said:
It's funny how much people lose their minds when confronted with an anime that features topless male characters.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Nobody would give a crap if it was women in bikinis on the cover, and nobody would suggest it was classless.

I don't particularly want male OR female fanservice on the art of anime blu-rays I buy; I know it's not just me that still hasn't bought Animatsu's Comic Artist and his Assistants release purely because they went with a fanservice-y cover over the non-fanservice art they'd used for the mock-up.

It annoys me when people say others only don't like Free!'s artwork because it has half-naked men on them as if it's solely because they're men, when that isn't true.

Prior to Free! the only recent complaints I can remember about fanservice on the art of a UK release were regarding the aforementioned Comic Artist and his Assistants. In that instance, those who would be fans of fanservice involving female characters seemed, for the most part, in opposition of the artwork, favouring the tame cover that was initially teased. When it comes to Free!, however, those that would be fans of fanservice involving male characters are complaining about the lack of unabashed fanservice on the artwork, and proceeding to make out that it's just because the characters involved are male and that the rest of use are opressing them in some way.

It's just a guy in his swimming trunks, accurate to the content of the series. He's no more offensively naked than Kusanagi on the classic key art for Ghost In The Shell which offended approximately nobody ever (he's also no more naked than the average guy on the street during the recent heatwave). Teasing glimpses up skirts and down tops are par for the course with anime cover artwork.

I agree that the earlier cover for The Comic Artist And His Assistants looked better but in that case the actual show bothered the heck out of me for its parade of recycled boob jokes so the second cover would have helped me realise that and avoid buying it (I didn't anyway thanks to streaming). If it's a general complaint that you hate seeing any skin at all, it's fair enough - I know some people are shy about family members or friends seeing dodgy-looking covers on their shelves, or just don't like how seedy fan service is in general. There's so little media which panders to this side of the market in this country though; as a one-off I can't help but feel that it might be an interesting thing to do.

R

The thing is everyone else I've shown prefers the Funi CE set, but according to the forum its too 'in your face'. I prefer it as it shows the friendship of Iwatobi (Rin should be with Samesuka as they are a big part of ES) Also the gloss splash effect on FUNi CE looks better than the cheap looking cut out splash. The only think I prefer is the digipack I will buy this and hope we get a packshot (and maybe a bigger art book).
4 teammates huddling isnt as bad as the comic and his assistants bikini clad woman.

I like the spine design, feels like someone was having a laugh there. I won't be purchasing as it's not my thing but I'll be interested to see how it does.

I have no issue with fan service, in fairness the cover is a representation of the anime which is about male swimmers. This show is not for me but AL seem to have done a good job with the design.

Jaysgba said:
It annoys me when people say others only don't like Free!'s artwork because it has half-naked men on them as if it's solely because they're men, when that isn't true.

Compare the reaction over Free! to the reaction to Amanchu or that recent KEijo!!!!!!!!! PV. Then come back with the "people aren't being sexist" line.

You might not be, but I think a lot of people are. Especially given everybody seems to love every other KyoAni show...

Back