Upcoming UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Artwork

britguy

Za Warudo
NormanicGrav said:
britguy said:
"Release it like that"? You mean standard Amaray? We've known that was the plan with these funi titles, they're not getting the "Anime Limited" treatment. Plus, the up1 and a-o-l price for the uk version are still cheaper than the usa release on up1.
I wasn't referring to the Anime Limited treatment, heck we all knew about that. I was expecting the exact same treatment the US folks were getting - slipcover, no logos (aside from the front side and back of perhaps the slipcover or plastic).
Oh, well I'm on the side of "I don't care about logis" so if people want to pay more for less logos and a slip then that's their perogative, but nowt wrong with this release imo
 

NormanicGrav

Yume no Shima Shinen Kōen
AUKN Staff
britguy said:
NormanicGrav said:
britguy said:
"Release it like that"? You mean standard Amaray? We've known that was the plan with these funi titles, they're not getting the "Anime Limited" treatment. Plus, the up1 and a-o-l price for the uk version are still cheaper than the usa release on up1.
I wasn't referring to the Anime Limited treatment, heck we all knew about that. I was expecting the exact same treatment the US folks were getting - slipcover, no logos (aside from the front side and back of perhaps the slipcover or plastic).
Oh, well I'm on the side of "I don't care about logis" so if people want to pay more for less logos and a slip then that's their perogative, but nowt wrong with this release imo
The only issue I have is pretty much what I mentioned, they may as well release it Blu-ray only and reduce the SRP if it's going to look like a normal Manga Animatsu set. At this current point in time, these Funi UK sets are going to bomb if they stay at a £40-45 price point, especially when you have niche titles like BlazBlue, Show By Rock and Yuri Kuma Arashi. Causal anime fans & normal buyers don't like simple sets at expensive prices (because logic).

No hate or anything. I just think what Funimation UK have planned right now needs to be fixed asap, and thankfully Anime Limited mentioned they can drop the combo model if they felt it doesn't work.
 

britguy

Za Warudo
NormanicGrav said:
britguy said:
NormanicGrav said:
I wasn't referring to the Anime Limited treatment, heck we all knew about that. I was expecting the exact same treatment the US folks were getting - slipcover, no logos (aside from the front side and back of perhaps the slipcover or plastic).
Oh, well I'm on the side of "I don't care about logis" so if people want to pay more for less logos and a slip then that's their perogative, but nowt wrong with this release imo
The only issue I have is pretty much what I mentioned, they may as well release it Blu-ray only and reduce the SRP if it's going to look like a normal Manga Animatsu set. At this current point in time, these Funi UK sets are going to bomb if they stay at a £40-45 price point, especially when you have niche titles like BlazBlue, Show By Rock and Yuri Kuma Arashi. Causal anime fans & normal buyers don't like simple sets at expensive prices (because logic).

No hate or anything. I just think what Funimation UK have planned right now needs to be fixed asap, and thankfully Anime Limited mentioned they can drop the combo model if they felt it doesn't work.
The rrp will likely only drop from 44.99 to 39.99 with the move from combi pack if the animatsu prices are what we compare them to, I can't see a single cour show getting released nowadays with an rrp of less than that. You think that'll make a difference to the fans you are referring to?
 

HdE

Comic Book Guy
I'll add my voice (predictably) to those saying teh price point is too high on those Funi releases. £40 for 11 - 13 episodes is a bad deal in my eyes, irrespective of whether it's in a dual format release or not.

I would say, if it's contributing to the cost, drop the combo pack model STAT. It's the sort of thing I can see might well fatigue more casual buyers if they feel they're paying for it.
 

britguy

Za Warudo
HdE said:
I'll add my voice (predictably) to those saying teh price point is too high on those Funi releases. £40 for 11 - 13 episodes is a bad deal in my eyes, irrespective of whether it's in a dual format release or not.

I would say, if it's contributing to the cost, drop the combo pack model STAT. It's the sort of thing I can see might well fatigue more casual buyers if they feel they're paying for it.
£28 (up1:price) for 13 episodes of anime seems about right imo
 

anime_andrew

Anime Limited Representative
Industry Representative
HdE said:
I'll add my voice (predictably) to those saying teh price point is too high on those Funi releases. £40 for 11 - 13 episodes is a bad deal in my eyes, irrespective of whether it's in a dual format release or not.

I would say, if it's contributing to the cost, drop the combo pack model STAT. It's the sort of thing I can see might well fatigue more casual buyers if they feel they're paying for it.
It's much quicker for approval to keep the same base format just now, we're experimenting with ways to accelerate that so stuck with us til end of year when I present the evaluation on it though :). Just know for now this is a quicker way to move on stuff anyway.

Also places like BASE.com have it down to £32: http://www.base.com/buy/product/yona-of ... uk8335.htm

Personally also not big on combi format, but worth matching formats for now. SRP converts literally £49.99 for the US product, UK one is £44.99, we can't control what Amazon discounts by on it and we already removed £4.99 from where we should be to balance off the lack of slipcover as we felt £44.99 was a better point.

Ultimately, unless you were buying DVD the saving for you to have single format at the rate being discounted by Amazon and some other sites would be negligible, DVD would not have been especially significant.

So ultimately:

1. Removing the O-CARD meant we could knock £5 off the SRP (which should be £49.99 based on rates for the foreseeable future).

2. The release is appropriately £5 cheaper SRP than the US One, we just cannot control how much retailers do or do not discount. Nor do we rely on that to set our SRP I am afraid.

3. Willing to consider separate formats but the closing of US -> UK release dates over the next two quarters will move apart again instead of slowly align.

Hope this makes sense, not sure there's anything anyone could do to magically make it better!

AP
 

Azar

Thousand Master
Will the Your Lie In April artwork be in next weeks Newswire? Eager to see how it looks. :)
 

Mangaranga

Za Warudo
NormanicGrav said:
Funimation UK - Yona of the Dawn: Part 1 [Blu-ray & DVD Combo]
So it literally looks like Manga/MVM design without a slip...
Well, with that I officially have no reason to buy a Funi UK release, and given how Funi US releases have become more expensive and jankier in regards to quality, I have little to no reason to buy from them either outside of a few CEs.

anime_andrew said:
Assuming we're talking the O-Cards here, what's the actual benefit they provide to consumers out of curiosity? Manga UK never used to use them on Funimation releases. They cost a chunk more and don't really add value do they?

Best,

AP
In the nicest possible way, we're not talking about releases from Manga UK. They have a reputation for selling at the cheapest price point with low profit margins. This is Funimation we're talking about here, and I think it's not entirely unfair to say that there was an assumption we'd be getting the exact same type of release as they get in the states (slipcover, clean presentation). Don't get me wrong here either, I'm not intentionally trying to come off as harsh and one sided. I get that these titles probably aren't going to be hot sellers and thus won't be viable to do anything with that would incur any "unnecessary costs" so to speak (hence the Anime Limited treatment for the more marketable titles), but going by the SRP they are more expensive than competitors in the UK for no additional value (I personally view DVD combos as a negative if anything. Great if you love frisbees or need a new coaster though.) Personally I think it's going to be a harder sell to the casual market due to having one higher priced SKU, whilst also not winning back any goodwill from importers either due to the lack of slipcovers/artbox SKUs and a clean presentation. (The last point in particular being a big reason why I initially started - and continue to import)
 

anime_andrew

Anime Limited Representative
Industry Representative
Mangaranga said:
In the nicest possible way, we're not talking about releases from Manga UK. They have a reputation for selling at the cheapest price point with low profit margins. This is Funimation we're talking about here, and I think it's not entirely unfair to say that there was an assumption we'd be getting the exact same type of release as they get in the states (slipcover, clean presentation). Don't get me wrong here either, I'm not intentionally trying to come off as harsh and one sided. I get that these titles probably aren't going to be hot sellers and thus won't be viable to do anything with that would incur any "unnecessary costs" so to speak (hence the Anime Limited treatment for the more marketable titles), but going by the SRP they are more expensive than competitors in the UK for no additional value (I personally view DVD combos as a negative if anything. Great if you love frisbees or need a new coaster though.) Personally I think it's going to be a harder sell to the casual market due to having one higher priced SKU, whilst also not winning back any goodwill from importers either due to the lack of slipcovers/artbox SKUs and a clean presentation. (The last point in particular being a big reason why I initially started - and continue to import)
In fairness, where there is an artbox SKU in the USA, there should be in the UK. There just isn't for Yona of the Dawn there :). For the other points, can't say I necessarily disagree but I'm happy to test a model if asked and if it doesn't work with actionable data then to pivot afterwards if that makes sense :). So as always friendly feedback is welcomed.

Anime Limited continues to deliver as always, but for other labels sometimes when playing with someone else's toys we need to be flexible. So that's what we're doing - though like I say when there is an artbox SKU in the USA, there usually will be here too (are any missing just now folks would have bought?)

Either way too the feedback is welcome and I don't necessarily disagree like I say so it's good to hear from folks :).

AP
 

britguy

Za Warudo
Are slip covers really that important to people? They're wastes of cardboard to me and just make accessing discs that little bit longer.

Also, regarding clean presentation...i find it hard to understand how one less logo and piece of text makes people want a usa release over a UK release, even if it's more expensive and will take longer to get to them. Anime fans are a very strange breed.
 

Rui

Karamatsu Boy
Administrator
britguy said:
Are slip covers really that important to people? They're wastes of cardboard to me and just make accessing discs that little bit longer.
I actively dislike Funimation slipcovers (o-cards) for standard disc cases, they look tatty on the shelf and the 'window' part for the barcode catches on the plastic of the BD case when you're getting things out or putting the discs away. They look like marketing tools for shops rather than a part of the product I want to keep. No strong opinion on combo packs; there have been a couple of times where having a DVD copy is useful and if it adds nothing to the price, why not.

I hate the BBFC logos but that's pretty much our country's fault and it's much more convenient to get UK Funimation releases than import them considering that I can put them on my Christmas list or use my UK Amazon credit on them. Having cross-region-coded discs coming out close to day and date with the US is pretty awesome. I'm sure that those who want to wait out the high speed release schedule will be able to get them cheaper, just like with anything else.

R
 

Buzz201

Mad Scientist
Standard editions were going for £23-26 on release a year ago from both Manga and AL, now you're lucky to find them for £30. As a student, this is not a trend I can get on board with. If £45 becomes the standard SRP, I'll be screwed. I guess I'll just have to get used to streaming and buying manga/LNs to support shows instead...
 

britguy

Za Warudo
Buzz201 said:
Standard editions were going for £23-26 on release a year ago from both Manga and AL, now you're lucky to find them for £30. As a student, this is not a trend I can get on board with. If £45 becomes the standard SRP, I'll be screwed. I guess I'll just have to get used to streaming and buying manga/LNs to support shows instead...
I've pre-order Chunibyo season 2 and Hanayamata both for £28 a piece over at amazon, happy with those prices :)
 

PilibO

School Idol
britguy said:
Buzz201 said:
Standard editions were going for £23-26 on release a year ago from both Manga and AL, now you're lucky to find them for £30. As a student, this is not a trend I can get on board with. If £45 becomes the standard SRP, I'll be screwed. I guess I'll just have to get used to streaming and buying manga/LNs to support shows instead...
I've pre-order Chunibyo season 2 and Hanayamata both for £28 a piece over at amazon, happy with those prices :)
FYI you can get them both for £23 each over at Base :)
 

Rui

Karamatsu Boy
Administrator
Well, we know prices rise with inflation and external issues (like Brexit). And the ongoing shrinkage of the physical media market in general. I'm hardly buying anything at all at the moment (real life responsibilities!) so I'm probably placing fewer orders than the cash-strapped student crowd right now, but with such incredible streaming access this season I'm still watching absolutely tons of new anime.

R
 

HdE

Comic Book Guy
Rui said:
britguy said:
Are slip covers really that important to people? They're wastes of cardboard to me and just make accessing discs that little bit longer.
I actively dislike Funimation slipcovers (o-cards) for standard disc cases, they look tatty on the shelf and the 'window' part for the barcode catches on the plastic of the BD case when you're getting things out or putting the discs away. They look like marketing tools for shops rather than a part of the product I want to keep.
Yeah. This. O cards are inevitably going to get a bit dented in transit, and generally don't hold up to being handled a lot. Anything I order that arrives with one tends to not stay in it very long.

Buzz201 said:
Standard editions were going for £23-26 on release a year ago from both Manga and AL, now you're lucky to find them for £30. As a student, this is not a trend I can get on board with. If £45 becomes the standard SRP, I'll be screwed. I guess I'll just have to get used to streaming and buying manga/LNs to support shows instead...
Yeah. I think this could be the first step in the inevitable price rises we'll see on anime thanks to exiting the EU. Andrew's comments on the matter are quite reassuring in as much they show that pricing and marketing are being considered carefully. It's easy at this point to make all kinds of knee jerk assumptions about where things are headed in general, but I will admit that I'm not feeling especially hopeful about being able to afford anime in the foreseeable future. Got to keep myself fed and pay my bills, after all. And ALL that stuff is only going to get more expensive.

Still, it won't be the end of the world if the worst comes to the worst. I've got a healthy crop of anime to kick back and enjoy. And you don't miss what you never had.
 

Buzz201

Mad Scientist
HdE said:
Yeah. I think this could be the first step in the inevitable price rises we'll see on anime thanks to exiting the EU. Andrew's comments on the matter are quite reassuring in as much they show that pricing and marketing are being considered carefully. It's easy at this point to make all kinds of knee jerk assumptions about where things are headed in general, but I will admit that I'm not feeling especially hopeful about being able to afford anime in the foreseeable future. Got to keep myself fed and pay my bills, after all. And ALL that stuff is only going to get more expensive.

Still, it won't be the end of the world if the worst comes to the worst. I've got a healthy crop of anime to kick back and enjoy. And you don't miss what you never had.
I understand the cost of living is going up, but if they ever do hit £45, I will literally be priced out of the market.

The ways things are looking for next year, at the moment, £45 is over a month's worth of saving (by which I mean, literally not spending any money on anything other than essentials, not even Crunchyroll). It's safe to say, I don't have that much willpower....
 

NormanicGrav

Yume no Shima Shinen Kōen
AUKN Staff
Anime Limited

Free! Eternal Summer: Complete Collection Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
[spoilerbutton]
[/spoilerbutton]
Jaysgba found this somewhere on the net. Looks like we'll get the full-version later.
 

Buzz201

Mad Scientist
NormanicGrav said:
Anime Limited

Free! Eternal Summer: Complete Collection Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
[spoilerbutton]
[/spoilerbutton]
Jaysgba found this somewhere on the net. Looks like we'll get the full-version later.
I shall repeat my prior comments. There's better art for Free! they could have picked, like literally every other piece of key art that exists for the series...
 
Top