Upcoming UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Artwork

What's the situation with getting more anime movies available as pay-to-own / rent on services like iTunes or Amazon? I feel like this is a really overlooked market, and there's really not a whole lot on there right now.

For example, the Attack on Titan live action movies are totally something I'd rent for £3-£5 - but definitely not something I'd purchase (especially physically, with shelf space at a premium).

Is there a fear that putting anime movies on pay-to-rent services would undermine the physical market? After all, £5 vs. £35 for a single movie is a big difference. Or is it more a rights thing?

Funimation UK

Yuri Kuma Arashi: Complete Series (Blu-ray & DVD)
Yurikuma_Combi_3D_1024x1024.jpg

Out of interest, have Film 4 actually ever shown any anime other than Ghibli?

They have definitely shown Paprika & Tekkonkinkreet before now, both films shown back-to-back sometime in 2012
and they've been shown a couple of times since then. (last year for Tekkonkinkreet)

I remember watching Paprika but then falling asleep during Tekkonkinkreet as I was too sleepy, still yet to watch it!

Considering people knew for months that AL were releasing sub-only and were happy to put money down for it, AL even suggesting a free download of the dub version is very generous.

This isn't AL taking anything away. Originally there wasn't even a dub until they were well into their process of putting the release together. No-one was complaining about the lack of dub before the US licensor announced one.

DRRR was a case were the discs were messed up and AL apologised and fixed it. For this, at no point did they say a dub would be included. They said they'd look into it, but never misadvertised what there product included.

Considering people knew for months that AL were releasing sub-only and were happy to put money down for it, AL even suggesting a free download of the dub version is very generous.

This isn't AL taking anything away. Originally there wasn't even a dub until they were well into their process of putting the release together. No-one was complaining about the lack of dub before the US licensor announced one.

DRRR was a case were the discs were messed up and AL apologised and fixed it. For this, at no point did they say a dub would be included. They said they'd look into it, but never misadvertised what there product included.

I don't think anyone is accusing them of misadvertising, they're just frustrated that a product being sold as an "Ultimate Edition" lacks something the standard US BD will include

To be frank, I don't fault Andrew or Anime Limited at all with the Miss Hokusai situation. Would it have been ideal for their release to include the English dub? Sure, but as noted by Andrew himself, their process was already far too gone to apply the breaks and reconsider. If anything, GKids took too long in deciding to release the movie! It's an unfortunate situation to be in, but it's by no real fault of their own - just the timing of things.

I purchased the standard edition at MCM London Comic Con back in May and frankly, have no qualms with the situation at all - and in fact, if finances allow, I'd love to own the Ultimate Edition. Miss Hokusai is a fantastic movie and the extras do look really neat.

As already noted by Andrew, delaying the release any further to include the dub would be expensive. I noted that I've owned the standard edition since May, so retails discs for the main feature have likely already been produced - I imagine having to remaster and print a whole new batch would be a considerable cost that a film like Miss Hokusai may not be guaranteed to recoup (even if it deserves to).

(Also to be honest, the film is so "Japanese" in spirit as well as origin that hearing it in English just doesn't fit imo. I won't fault GKids' dub because the casting sounds accurate and we've only seen a trailer, but for me at least, it's a movie that just "belongs" in Japanese).

AL printed the discs too early it IS there fault.
They purposely held back the SE not to damage UE sales.
So it's Anime Limited's fault because they don't employ clairvoyants? They didn't know GKids were planning on licensing the movie until their release had already entered production. If they sat back and refrained from licensing titles on the off-chance that someone overseas not only picks it up, but decides to dub it as well, then some releases would just never happen.

Holding back the Standard Edition so that it didn't cannibalise sales of the Ultimate Edition also makes perfect business sense. For example, someone planning on buying the Ultimate might grow impatient and buy the Standard, which would mean a lost sale compared to if said person could just buy the Ultimate from the get-go.

So it's Anime Limited's fault because they don't employ clairvoyants? They didn't know GKids were planning on licensing the movie until their release had already entered production. If they sat back and refrained from licensing titles on the off-chance that someone overseas not only picks it up, but decides to dub it as well, then some releases would just never happen.

I think that AL just happened to choose this particular title to not leave until the last minute to get discs replicated is very unfortunate on their part.

Holding back the Standard Edition so that it didn't cannibalise sales of the Ultimate Edition also makes perfect business sense. For example, someone planning on buying the Ultimate might grow impatient and buy the Standard, which would mean a lost sale compared to if said person could just buy the Ultimate from the get-go.
I bet IG told them they were probably getting a US deal. Maybe knew dub was on the cards. He decided against it.

AL printed the discs too early it IS there fault.
They purposely held back the SE not to damage UE sales.

AL can't win can they. Prints discs TOO early and people get upset about a dub no-one knew about at time of license, or print too late on other series and get held up by the disc printers prioritising bigger orders.

*Shakes head*

Well they should have prioritised there schelude and improve communication with the JP licensor. If they released this in May when the discs were printed this debate wouldnt be happenig.

AL can't win can they. Prints discs TOO early and people get upset about a dub no-one knew about at time of license, or print too late on other series and get held up by the disc printers prioritising bigger orders.

*Shakes head*

There's printing early ad then there's sitting on standard edition stock for 6 months.

I don't blame them for what happened - although I do think it's bad luck the US dub trailer premiered literally the same week the news went out about the Ultimate Edition.

I think if it was me, I'd have aimed to release the standard Blu-Ray / DVD to shops sub-only back in May, or even earlier if possible - basically as soon as the discs were ready / as soon licensor would have allowed following the screenings at SLA/ MCM. Then I would have maybe pushed the Ultimate Edition back / postponed it completely until the dub was ready. But that's just me...

Back