Overseas Upcoming Non-UK Anime BD/DVD Artwork

I mean, everyone goes on saying that it's super sad and such, so if I don't react that way like I know I won't, I wasn't sure if there was much point.

You shouldn't look at things like that, it's true that this film in particular is known for being really sad, but to watch Grave of the Fireflies and to not cry or become upset doesn't mean that the experience was worthless or that there wasn't much point in watching it because there's always something to be gained. Media and their effects on us should not be treated as linear or binary, if you feel that not crying at the end of Grave of the Fireflies renders the experience of watching it as moot then that comes across as shallow in regards to what you're trying to attain from watching said film. There's nuance to the way in which you feel and so acting like something didn't effect you just because you didn't have tears running down your cheeks is extreme, maybe you won't cry at the end but if a films worth was only attributed to the fact that it made you cry or not and that alone, well it would be a terrible film. Maybe you won't outright cry but maybe you'll feel moved, maybe you'll like the music or the art or maybe you'll relate to a character or you'll appreciate the animation, maybe the story will touch you in a certain way, in the end you'd have gained something as a person, because at the very least it adds perspective, and if you watched it and gave your opinions on it, you'd have added to the conversation and added your own perspective that others may gain something from. Of course I sympathise and relate to not wanting to watch certain things that elicit certain emotions, I don't like horror for example so maybe you're not in the mood for something sad. Expecting to not react a certain way beforehand however is just a self fulfilling prophecy, by doing so you can be certain that you definitely won't be feeling that way because you've already convinced yourself that you won't. You don't have to watch it, but if your only hesitation is the thought that you won't cry and that the film would then be meaningless, you should still watch the film and gain your own thoughts on it, who knows, maybe you'll cry.

You shouldn't look at things like that, it's true that this film in particular is known for being really sad, but to watch Grave of the Fireflies and to not cry or become upset doesn't mean that the experience was worthless or that there wasn't much point in watching it because there's always something to be gained. Media and their effects on us should not be treated as linear or binary, if you feel that not crying at the end of Grave of the Fireflies renders the experience of watching it as moot then that comes across as shallow in regards to what you're trying to attain from watching said film. There's nuance to the way in which you feel and so acting like something didn't effect you just because you didn't have tears running down your cheeks is extreme, maybe you won't cry at the end but if a films worth was only attributed to the fact that it made you cry or not and that alone, well it would be a terrible film. Maybe you won't outright cry but maybe you'll feel moved, maybe you'll like the music or the art or maybe you'll relate to a character or you'll appreciate the animation, maybe the story will touch you in a certain way, in the end you'd have gained something as a person, because at the very least it adds perspective, and if you watched it and gave your opinions on it, you'd have added to the conversation and added your own perspective that others may gain something from. Of course I sympathise and relate to not wanting to watch certain things that elicit certain emotions, I don't like horror for example so maybe you're not in the mood for something sad. Expecting to not react a certain way beforehand however is just a self fulfilling prophecy, by doing so you can be certain that you definitely won't be feeling that way because you've already convinced yourself that you won't. You don't have to watch it, but if your only hesitation is the thought that you won't cry and that the film would then be meaningless, you should still watch the film and gain your own thoughts on it, who knows, maybe you'll cry.

Obviously I think that there is more to the film than simply eliciting a sad reaction out of the audience, and the lack of a reaction doesn't make it a bad film. People seemed to bawl their eyes out at A Silent Voice when it didn't even react emotionally really, yet I still think it's an excellent movie, and could totally understand why someone might think it's worth crying about. What I don't like is expectation, because as soon as an expectation like that is set up, it just seems doomed to fail. It's very rare I hear "X will make you feel Y" and it does, as soon as any expectation like that is placed, I can't help but feel the movie won't live up to them. It's kinda why I'm putting off watching Your Name despite buying the BD, I have such high hopes for it, for both the quality and how it could potentially make me feel, that I just know it won't and I'll be let down by it. The only times I've reacted emotionally to anime is when I have no preconceived notion about how it's supposed to make me feel. All of this is basically to say that I'm sure Grave of the Fireflies is a great movie, but everything I've heard about how good and sad and how much it'll make me feel just makes me want to never watch it. Not sure if that makes sense or potentially comes across as contradictory in hindsight, but oh well...

Obviously I think that there is more to the film than simply eliciting a sad reaction out of the audience, and the lack of a reaction doesn't make it a bad film. People seemed to bawl their eyes out at A Silent Voice when it didn't even react emotionally really, yet I still think it's an excellent movie, and could totally understand why someone might think it's worth crying about. What I don't like is expectation, because as soon as an expectation like that is set up, it just seems doomed to fail. It's very rare I hear "X will make you feel Y" and it does, as soon as any expectation like that is placed, I can't help but feel the movie won't live up to them. It's kinda why I'm putting off watching Your Name despite buying the BD, I have such high hopes for it, for both the quality and how it could potentially make me feel, that I just know it won't and I'll be let down by it. The only times I've reacted emotionally to anime is when I have no preconceived notion about how it's supposed to make me feel. All of this is basically to say that I'm sure Grave of the Fireflies is a great movie, but everything I've heard about how good and sad and how much it'll make me feel just makes me want to never watch it. Not sure if that makes sense or potentially comes across as contradictory in hindsight, but oh well...

No your response makes perfect sense, sometimes I sound like a robot but I can relate and I 100% see where you're coming from, in fact I feel that way many times too, I mean it's only human to do so. As you say, when something is hyped or said to make people react a certain way you can often feel "broken" and weird if you go against the grain, sometimes you might even be labelled a contrarian for doing so as if you have control over all your emotions 100% of the time and that you're deliberately choosing not to cry to spite people or to be different for the sake of it. Likewise, those expectations can have the opposite effect, lord knows if you advertise your movie as being the scariest ever, I'm going to roll my eyes, and the same has happened with the new movie Mother, "it's the craziest **** ever!" Erm, no. Truth is, we react in different ways and there's nothing wrong with that. It's funny you bring up A Silent Voice because that film too didn't really elicit much of a response from me, but like you I still appreciated watching it and gained something by doing so and too could see just why it resonated with so many people. It's easier said then done but I think removing yourself from all of that external stimuli is the best course of action, ridding of that expectation and instead just trying to enjoy it in the moment for what it is. As I said earlier, it's great to give your opinions, but sometimes we can place too much stock in said opinions and we can end up making your minds up before even giving it a chance.

It's contradictory to give my opinions after saying don't pay too much attention to opinions, but Grave of the Fireflies is a great film, you should check it out when ever you get the chance, and don't worry if you don't feel a certain way, your experience is yours alone.

I didn't cry watching Grave Of The Fireflies and I cry pretty easily (I cried a few times watching Nichijou, which is technically a comedy). I'd probably say the film did affect me but not in a way that led to me crying. It's certainly an interesting film and I don't think a strong emotional response is necessary to get something out of it.

I suppose there's also a point that crying means different things to different people. I cry pretty easily but it's more likely to be due to something happy and I tend to be less likely to cry at something real than at fiction (which is maybe a little odd). Some people try to avoid crying, even if they still feel strong emotion it doesn't always show.

Anyway, I think qaiz covered things pretty well. Sometimes it's worth watching things just for the experience, you don't have to love everything you watch. Just experiencing something new can give you new perspective and add to other experiences.

- All the Anime France
- Sword art Online Ordinal Scale

h81h1Wel.jpg

- Rigid box.
- Digipack
- Visual confirmed to be the same as Japan LE.
- 40 pgs hardcover booklet.
- 5 art cards.
- Combo DVD/BD
- 40€ ~ 35£
- 20 december.

Since SAO season 2 was not treated the same way between france and UK, I suppose the UK version of the movie will not be the same, so I'm not posting this on the anime-limited thread.

Last edited:
That looks stunning except the text blurbs on the top left and right hand corner of the CE. You'd think people who buy the CE have read a review or watched the movie before to know it's good...

My god... the logos, rating, and others BS take more place on the spine than the actual Title of the serie for PP.
What a joke.
Incredibly ugly.

Back