Upcoming MangaUK Blu-Ray Releases Moved To DVD-Only

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
2014-12-02Good%20Luck%20Girl.jpg

During September's Scotland Comic Con, the United Kingdom-based anime distributor Manga Entertainment UK surprised fans when they revealed that new licenses Ben-To and Good Luck Girl would be coming out exclusively on the high definition blu-ray format; forgoing a standard definition DVD release. At the same event, they also announced that the third collection of Fairy Tail, which comprises the fifth and sixth volumes of the series, will be released on DVD and blu-ray this coming January.

As is all too common in the UK anime scene though, things can change. After curious fans were tipped off by Amazon.co.uk listings, Manga UK have confirmed on Twitter that Ben-To and Good Luck Girl will now be DVD-only. They also noted that Fairy Tail's third collection and all subsequent "collection" releases will be DVD-only from now on, although individual volumes will still be available on blu-ray.

What do you think of this shift to DVD-only? Let us know in the comments!

So it's not only Ben-To and Good Luck Girl! that are being moved to DVD-only, but Fairy Tail's collection releases as well?
Urgh.

It's the Fairy Tail move that really sucks as that's going to screw with people's ongoing collections - people that were buying the collections on Blu Ray will have to switch to the individual volumes if they want to keep HD. As far as I know, the collections actually 'replaced' the early volumes (aren't some of them out of print?) so this just seems bizarre to me.

This is starting to feel like the beginning of the end.

My major worry though is that we could see a mass glut of licenses not being renewed/titles expiring etc and essentially Manga's entire back catalogue going out of print without warning - but who knows?

Honestly, I can see Manga going out of business with all the screw ups they've had lately. Between the issues with their self authored releases, changing formerly Blu-Ray and DVD releases to DVD only, changing Blu-Ray releases to DVD, etc I don't think the fans will just sit back and go along with it.

I'd like to say Manga is FUBAR, but that happened a long time ago. I wonder how this all correlates - if at all - to Jerome's jumping the ship?

I don't think they'll go out of business - I think the most likely scenario is that they continue to pump out Bleach/Naruto/Fairy Tail as regular sellers, with perhaps a few other big ticket titles scattered into the mix - but definitely way less titles than over the past two years. But largely they will start to shift back to what they were in the early 00s where they basically just sit on the GITS money that will always be an earner for them as original production partners.

Not even got the balls to go with the dumb idea they had in the first place (and let's not get any ideas on what I mean about that, it was Team Rocket by way of Scratch and Grounder stupid).

Joshawott said:
What do you think of this shift to DVD-only? Let us know in the comments!

They are going backwards rather than forwards.

No fussed myself, as long as there is another B region option available. Whether it's a US disc that is coded for B playback as well as A or an Australian release.

This would be the ideal time for someone higher than Jeremy to speak up about whats going on because at the moment, its Manga destroying itself from within. Maybe Manga is going to slowly morph into Kaze...

So basically Manga UK do a rubbish job creating Blu-Rays, so they just stop doing all of them barring a few here and there?

I was collecting Fairy Tail, and am not wanting to carry on as I imagine eventually they'll cease the parts on Blu-Ray too.

I shall purchase any Manga UK steelbooks for classic films going forward (doubtful they will have much I'm interested anymore to be honest) and everything they license I shall import.

I feel sorry for Fairy Tail fans and correct me if I'm wrong but the US Collection Blu-rays have no only gone to region A unlike the earlier sets. Slightly annoyed with Ben-To and Good Luck Girl not being Blu-ray releases. Good Luck Girl can be imported as it's both regions. What still drives me nuts is the Naruto Blood Prison Movie being dvd only unless you buy the Blu-Ray box set. I swear since October MCM Expo with Manga not being much pre-pared with their deals. Fair enough have nothing new to announce. But this is when Jerome was no longer apart of MangaUK but kept it quite until after the Expo. After all these events, it seems they have gone down hill.

BDT87 said:
I feel sorry for Fairy Tail fans and correct me if I'm wrong but the US Collection Blu-rays have no only gone to region A unlike the earlier sets.

Madman are releasing Fairy Tail, so for those that can't play A discs, there's still a Blu-ray option.

Even though this doesn't affect me, what with being behind the times and still only buying DVD's, I still don't think it's a good thing. I know from being on here that most people will only buy Blu-Ray and really that makes this all very worrying.

I have the Fairy Tail collections on DVD, but how annoying for those buying Blu-Ray. It would upset me if I'd been collecting in that format.

This is really going the opposite way to what I thought would happen. What's going on Manga?

Back