UK Anime Distributor Universal Pictures Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Anime Industry Discussion' started by Rui, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Jon O Fun

Jon O Fun Great Teacher

Pretty sure the Universal rep said on here going forward they'd be side loading but did Seraph & Arslan part 2 top loading for consistency :)

HWR likes this.
  2. HWR

HWR Vampire Ninja

Ah yes I remember that, it makes me even more enthusiastic for this release :)

3. Buzzkillington

Buzzkillington Pokémon Master

Nice, didn't know these guys would be releasing it over here, will certainly be picking it up. I should probably pick up part 2 of Seraph soon actually.....

4. blinx01

blinx01 Completely Average High School Student

Hopefully we can get some news from the reps soon.
    Berserk 2016 has a dub now as well, so maybe some news on that.

5. Peachy

Peachy Bumpkin AUKN Staff

I'm interested in the plans for Star-Myu, nothing's happened with either Amazon listing for quite some time now. Given how niche the title is, I do wonder if they'll do the Arslan/Owari route or stick to standards.

Did not see Universal having Hero Academia (official announcement soon I hope), not that I'm complaining as that's a must for a fancy edition & I love what they did with their previous releases.

6. Shiroi Hane

Shiroi Hane Dragon Knight

To note some things:
    Going back to Funimation's original announcement, they have "exclusive international rights to home entertainment, video on demand, merchandise, and broadcast distribution of the series".
    MHA was likewise submitted to the Australian Classification Board by Universal Sony Pictures.
    Funimation have a distribution agreement with Universal in the US.

UKA's article on this makes it clear they believe Universal UK is distributing the title for Funimation (and I wouldn't be surprised if they have inside knowledge as they have contact with and have run exclusive news with Universal previously). I think the bigger question is whether this is a one off or whether Funimation are going to transition to distributing via Universal in all three territories from now on. Jerome has mentioned more than once on Twitter that he believes that Universal will be distributing for Funimation (and Crunchyroll) in future so...

7. elaniel

elaniel Vampire Ninja

Interesting if that is the case going forward.
    Hopefully we still get some nice special editions like Seraph and Arslan in the future.

A lot of the licenses Anime Limited have coming up that I'm interested in seem to be films, and I'm down with them focusing on releasing those (as with series I tend to be quite fussy on which ones I buy).

8. blinx01

Since the news has leaked hopefully Universal open up soon!

9. Watanabe Ken

Watanabe Ken Great Teacher

10. crashmatt

crashmatt Thousand Master

Still waiting for info on Netoge

11. blinx01

What's the RRP for My Hero Academia Season LE?
    The £76.99 on Amazon seems WAY too high...

12. Jaysgba

Jaysgba Thousand Master

Seems about right compared to Funi's pricing in the US. It's a rip-off, but the pricing makes sense.

13. blinx01

Don't think they'll be shifting many copies if it stays at that price then.
    £50 is where I was thinking, especially for a 12 ep series.

14. Jaysgba

Jaysgba Thousand Master

I wouldn't pay £50 for such a mediocre series. £35 for a standard edition would be my absolute limit on this title.

15. Buzz201

Buzz201 Cardcaptor

I really enjoyed the show, would love to own the CE. £50 would be my absolute cap.

16. Robbl

Robbl Student Council President

Yup £50 sounds about right for a 12 ep CE without the Soundtrack

17. Blaize

Blaize Adventurer

Given the prices we saw for Arslan and Seraph I'd be surprised if the price was that high.

18. Lambadelta

Lambadelta Vampire Ninja

Well Seraph and Arslan part 1 Blu-rays were RRP £59.99

It wouldn't too far a fetch that MHA has a higher RRP

19. Blaize

Blaize Adventurer

Yeah but the price came down alot on both over time.

20. Lambadelta

Lambadelta Vampire Ninja

True its based on what retailers decide in the end. Hopefully we see similar price drops.