UK Anime Christmas Sales for 2022 [Anime Ltd's 12 Days of Xmas + More]

The price is definitely too much; with that said I actually don't mind the box art as it goes well with some of the themes of the show; if I can remember without spoiling anything, some events lead to certain characters feeling empty inside, just like the box art; hopefully not the box itself though, that would not be good lol.
Zavvi set was actually similar just with a tony bit of art on the front
76470750-6E19-4484-A1EE-1E7847290748.jpeg

Looks similar to the Japanese release.
View attachment 27254

At this price point it’d have been nice to atleast get some art on the box / disks it feels really weird for it to be just blue
I’ve got the JP Perspex box version, and the disc holder part in that is pretty similar to the card version pictured; a blue ‘book’ of disc trays.
I think the point probably is to tie in with the same colour scheme and appearance: it’s sort of a ‘Eva blue‘, just like the dvd box is an ‘LCL / Impact red’. And likewise; the simple ascending stack of the font is exactly the minimalist ID that it needs to be.

Zavvi set was actually similar just with a tony bit of art on the front
As far as I remember, this is the first time I've seen the Zavvi set, I inferred how the plain blue fit the themes of the show but looking at this I can now see why the new art is dissapointing by comparison; this captures both the emptiness of the blue box on it's upper left side while also setting the tone for the angel battles with it's emergency hexagons all while making a new viewer question "what is the emergency?".

TLDR: Zavvi set looks better.

Thank you for saving my wallet so for this year they actually not 1 but they have 2 previous releases that were in the mystery boxes, sheesh these must be really low sellers for them to include them again.

The only thing from Anime Limited i got was Sister Devil New Testament Limited Edition set which is a real bargain compared to the other at 12.45( i used the code)

Im surprised it still has not sold out after all these years i would of figured it would of been more popular and its funny cause the standard editions are seperate and are selling for 19.99 each even with the BOGOF so your better getting the LD as you save 5 more pounds that way and get more stuff for your worth, who even keeps tabs on these prices? XD
The MVM one has a further annoyance (for me) in that at least a couple of the titles have been in recent DOTW or sale listings (or both) - I would have hoped / expected that a ‘blind’ bundle not include any recent promotional items…

That ‘Testament..’ pricing observation is quite strange, as the set literally is the two standard Amarays stuffed into an outer box with a couple of postcards.

While I do find the price of this new Evangelion collectors edition to be overpriced. I am glad AL were able to release another set with the ADV/Manga dubs and subs since this gives people a second chance to enjoy the version of NGE that they watched, since they either had to buy the old dvds, jacked up prices on ebay for the newer blu rays or pirate it to watch the ADV/Manga dubs and subs. Evangelion on physical media has never been cheap (look at what the old ADV dvds used to be priced then and even now) but its still rather expensive.

While I do find the price of this new Evangelion collectors edition to be overpriced. I am glad AL were able to release another set with the ADV/Manga dubs and subs since this gives people a second chance to enjoy the version of NGE that they watched, since they either had to buy the old dvds, jacked up prices on ebay for the newer blu rays or pirate it to watch the ADV/Manga dubs and subs. Evangelion on physical media has never been cheap (look at what the old ADV dvds used to be priced then and even now) but its still rather expensive.
On the note of the ADV dub; I read that it was not included in the standard edition, if this is true then it creates an issue where it limits the amount of chances people have to experience the original dub, having it included in the standard edition would fix this; I get that it's down to licences and everything but the content on the discs really should be universal as it would give people a stable chance to experience the dub in it's original form.

I do agree though that the more chances the merrier.

Last edited:
On the note of the ADV dub; I read that it was not included in the standard edition, if this is true then it creates an issue where it limits the amount of chances people have to experience the original dub, having it included in the standard edition would fix this; I get that it's down to licences and everything but the content on the discs really should be universal as it would give people a stable chance to experience the dub in it's original form.

I do agree though that the more chances the merrier.
To my knowledge the reason its not included in standard is because Khara the current rights holder to NGE hates the ADV/Manga versions and probably made AL/Gkids not included in the wider standard edition release, its why in the US you can only get the Netflix dub digitally regardless of the storefront. Its probably why the dubs are split onto two disc sets, it gives them a reason not to have the ADV/Manga dub in the standard edition. Unless there is some other reason that they can't have multiple audio tracks on one disc. since there is a bunch of Anime that have multiple dubs on one disc. (Escaflowne & Castle of Cagliostro)

I hope Nadia isn’t £100 it’ll sell badly
Nadia will be overpriced. It will use the awful new masters. We'll all preorder the early bird for the pretty box and book. It will be 6 months late minimum. AL will announce a better looking, better value, CE before the UE ships. No-one will bother cancelling the UE and picking up the CE instead because we've already pre-paid for the UE and that would be effort. Rinse and repeat for next christmas's big early bird UE.

*I do love AL and the majority of their output, but sometimes they can be a frustration.

Nadia will be overpriced. It will use the awful new masters. We'll all preorder the early bird for the pretty box and book. It will be 6 months late minimum. AL will announce a better looking, better value, CE before the UE ships. No-one will bother cancelling the UE and picking up the CE instead because we've already pre-paid for the UE and that would be effort. Rinse and repeat for next christmas's big early bird UE.

*I do love AL and the majority of their output, but sometimes they can be a frustration.
It’s weird Ive seen screencaps and it doesn’t look bad, it got some dnr but other than that it’s mostly fine.

Wasn't planning to but decided to order Utena as it's a classic I've wanted to see and would be nice to have a nice collector's box as I couldn't afford the original releases at the time.

Seeing as ATA support PayPal Pay in 3 I used that, did the same with Eva yesterday so it isn't such a blow on my bank at once.

This may be my last anime purchase of the year but I'll see.

This may be my last anime purchase of the year but I'll see.
XaOUPRz.jpg

Think I'm pretty safe for the rest of the sale. None of the EB stand out as "Must buy"

and the only titles I really wanted, 3 were in the sale what I got:

Future Diary
Hello World
Re:Zero

While I am kinda annoyed 3 weren't, not an issue:

Belle
Cardcaptor Sakura
Josee

Considering finding a copy of Belle sooner rather than later though. Dont want to miss out on this one!!

Was there an ultimate edition of Utena? Part of me thinks that even going after this limited edition, that it's not the best one that's been released.

There was a collector's edition that had some items from Rightstuf's Ultra Edition release which were super limited. I have some photos of that.
Thanks for letting me know. It felt like I had seen something previously in the back of my mind. I'm going at this series completely blind, not really knowing much about it. But I heard great things and wanted to give it a shot.

Amongst all the early birds, it was only one that tickled my fancy. Compared to the last 2 or 3 years or I was purchasing at least 20 different titles, this year is probably only going to be like four or five because I have most of everything I want. And if I don't have it it's because I'm waiting for a series to be completed and released as box sets lol.

I'm going to do a quick look around on the other anime sites just to make sure I'm getting the best that I can for this and complete my order! Belle 4k, Magic Knight in digibox, and think this. That might be it which is blowing my mind because I've never ordered this little lol.

And I'm still trying to find a good blu-ray player to play all regions since I'm here in the US lol

Back