UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

Buzz201 said:
Maybe it's just me, but so far Black Friday has been really bland. Even Amazon, who last year had deal upon deal I wanted to buy, have been crap this year. To be honest, I think Black Friday is a fad, and I'd be surprised if it still exists in a few years.

Not sure why I'm complaining, this is probably a good thing, I'm trying to save up for a video games console.
It seems the two major consoles are appearing in Amazon's sales over the next couple of days (there's even an Xbox One deal right now), though I don't know what kind of price you'd be aiming for. I'd imagine "Cyber Monday" would also have potential for deals on consoles.

I'm not really keen on Amazon's time limited deals and I'm never sure how great Black Friday is (though it's probably at least partly my tastes/purchasing habits). I wonder if it's such a good thing for shops, surely a lot of people hold off on buying things and then get upset when they don't appear in a sale. Still, maybe it's worthwhile having a time when shops are encouraged to put things on sale. I'd probably rather have it earlier in the year since it increases the possibility of people buying things that have been bought for them as presents while also encouraging more of a rush for anyone that doesn't get what they wanted in the sale (maybe that's partly the idea).

Smeelia said:
It seems the two major consoles are appearing in Amazon's sales over the next couple of days (there's even an Xbox One deal right now), though I don't know what kind of price you'd be aiming for. I'd imagine "Cyber Monday" would also have potential for deals on consoles.

I'm not really keen on Amazon's time limited deals and I'm never sure how great Black Friday is (though it's probably at least partly my tastes/purchasing habits). I wonder if it's such a good thing for shops, surely a lot of people hold off on buying things and then get upset when they don't appear in a sale. Still, maybe it's worthwhile having a time when shops are encouraged to put things on sale. I'd probably rather have it earlier in the year since it increases the possibility of people buying things that have been bought for them as presents while also encouraging more of a rush for anyone that doesn't get what they wanted in the sale (maybe that's partly the idea).

I don't really have the money at the moment, but I have been looking at the deals, they've both been in the "better than nothing, but still not great" end of things. Last year lots of them repeated in the January sales, so I've been watching to see what I can expect then. For some reason, almost all of the PS4 deals include a copy of Black Ops III, I guess it didn't sell too well for Activision...

I think the idea of time limited deals is okay, it's clearly designed to make people think "what if it doesn't go on sale?" and panic buy items they don't need. However, even as a Prime member, I think making many of the deals Early Access for Prime Subscribers is a really obnoxious thing to do. Even though it's their prerogative it just seems really pushy to advertise a sale that might not actually be available to most of the users of your site without paying £79 a year. When are Amazon going to just admit Prime failed and give in trying to ram it down everyone's throats?

I'd imagine Prime is doing reasonably well with the video tie in, especially since it's comparable in price to Netflix (though I don't think there's a monthly option so that could put people off). I do agree that it's a bit silly to make some deals early access for Prime, it'll certainly annoy people if there are deals that sell out before being available to all. I suppose they could be keeping some "stock" for the full access period but that might upset prime members who saw the deal was out of stock then gave up only to find there was more stock later and they didn't have to miss out.

Anecdotally, from what I've seen, even though the price isn't much higher than Netflix, lots of people are looking at the £80 pricetag and baulking. They seem to be pushing it on Students a lot, but they've halved the price for 3 years for anyone with .ac.uk email address, so they're not being too unreasonable.

Prime is actually in the process of rolling out a monthly option, no commitment and Cancel any time. It's only been offered to a select few (I'm thankfully one of them :) two of my friends are not) at present, but it costs £7.99 a month.

I was one of those who would gladly pay for amazon prime, but never liked the idea of the bulk fee, so now paying 8 quid a month (annual sub still works out the cheapest) and able to cancel whenever I want, I'm happy

Rightstuf Holiday Sale - The Winter Sales Are Coming: Day 16

You can still check out the other offers available from the previous days, these will all last until the season is over.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.Mon.. | .Tue.. | .Wed.. | .Thu.. | ..Fri... | ..Sat.. | ..Sun..
******** | ******** | ******* | Day 01 | Day 02 | Day 03 | Day 04
Day 05 | Day 06 | Day 07 | Day 08 | Day 09 | Day 10 | Day 11
Day 12 | Day 13 | Day 14 | Day 15 | Day 16
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Prices listed below do not include Postage or possible Customs/VAT.

MEGADEAL (1 DAY ONLY OFFER):
Mobile Suit Gundam: Collection 1 (Blu-ray) - $37.99

NORMAL OFFER:
Anime:
Black Magic M-66 (DVD) - $23.99
Brave 10: Complete Series Premium Edition (Blu-ray) - $24.99
Captain Earth: Collection 1 (Blu-ray) - $26.99
Captain Earth: Collection 2 (Blu-ray) - $26.99
Clannad: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $31.49
Clannad After Story: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $31.49
The Everyday Tales of a Cat God: Complete Series Premium Edition (Blu-ray) - $24.99
Fuse: Memoirs of a Huntress: Complete Series Premium Edition (Blu-ray) - $24.99
The Garden of Words (Blu-ray) - $12.24
Ghost in the Shell: 25th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) - $11.99
Godannar: Complete Collection (DVD) - $26.24
High School of the Dead: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $24.49
High School of the Dead: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray) - $3.49
High School of the Dead: TV & OVA Collection Collector's Edition (Blu-ray) - $44.49
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor: OVA Collection (DVD) - $14.99
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor: TV Collection (DVD) - $19.99
Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin: Volume 1 Collector's Edition (Japanese Import) (Blu-ray) - $67.99
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $26.99
Problem Children Are Coming From Another World: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $24.49

MANGA/OTHERS:
Chobits: Omnibus Volume 1 (Dark Horse) - $12.48
Chobits: Omnibus Volume 2 (Dark Horse) - $12.50
Fairy Girls (Kodansha Comics) - $5.50
Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin: Volume 1 (Vertical) - $14.98
Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin: Volume 2 (Vertical) - $14.98
Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin: Volume 10 (Vertical) - $14.98
Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin: Volume 11 (Vertical) - $14.98

REMINDER: Robert's Anime Corner Store Holiday Sale - Winter und Panzer: Black Friday Offer

SALVO9.gif

You can still check out the other offers available from the previous days, these will all last until the season is over.
.Mon.. | ..Tue.. | .Wed.. | .Thu.. | ..Fri... | ..Sat.. | ..Sun..
******** | Day 01 | Day 02 | Day 03 | ******* | Day 04 | *******
Day 05 | ******** | ******** | ******** |

Save an additional 15% off on any item in stock before Midnight Nov 27th at EDT time.

Code: BLACKFRIDAY2015

Dat Highschool of the Dead CE price :O. Gonna pick up that and SNAFU thanks very much. Got paid today so that is very well timed :).

Thanks, NormanicGrav for bringing it to my attention.

Fruits Basket is amazing. Unless you have some deep seated hatred of shoujo titles or slightly surreal plots, it's one of the best in its genre. For under a tenner I don't think you can possibly go wrong.

R

After slagging off Black Friday yesterday, I have now brought some things. I brought Outlaw Star on DVD and the Gurren Lagann blu-ray off Zavvi, and Better Call Saul Season One blu-ray from Amazon (sacrilege I know :twisted: :D)

britguy said:
Prime is actually in the process of rolling out a monthly option, no commitment and Cancel any time. It's only been offered to a select few (I'm thankfully one of them :) two of my friends are not) at present, but it costs £7.99 a month.
I would definitely jump on that for a few months of the year here and there.

Rightstuf Holiday Sale - The Winter Sales Are Coming: Day 17

.Mon.. | .Tue.. | .Wed.. | .Thu.. | ..Fri... | ..Sat.. | ..Sun..
******** | ******** | ******* | Day 01 | Day 02 | Day 03 | Day 04
Day 05 | Day 06 | Day 07 | Day 08 | Day 09 | Day 10 | Day 11
Day 12 | Day 13 | Day 14 | Day 15 | Day 16 | Day 17

MEGADEAL (1 DAY ONLY OFFER):
La Cordo D'Oro: Blue Sky: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $29.99

NORMAL OFFER:
Anime:
Fantastic Detective Labyrinth: Complete Collection (DVD) - $24.99
Inu Yasha: Season 1 (DVD) - $12.49
Inu Yasha: Season 2 (DVD) - $12.49
Inu Yasha: Season 3 (DVD) - $12.49
Inu Yasha: Season 4 (DVD) - $12.49
Inu Yasha: Season 5 (DVD) - $12.49
Inu Yasha: Season 6 (DVD) - $12.49
Inu Yasha: Season 7 (DVD) - $12.49
Inuyasha: The Final Act: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $27.49
Inuyasha: Movie Collection (Blu-ray) - $14.99
Log Horizon: Collection 1 (Blu-ray) - $24.49
Log Horizon: Collection 2 (Blu-ray) - $27.99
Love <3 Love?: Complete Collection (DVD) - $13.99
Martian Successor Nadesico: Complete Collection Limited Edition (DVD) - $29.99
Mysterious Girlfriend X: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $24.49
One Week Friends: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $26.99
Sabagebu! Survival Game Club: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $26.99
Samurai Bride: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $24.49
So, I Can't Play H: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $20.99
This Boy Can Fight Aliens!: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $7.49
Those Who Hunt Elves: Complete Collection (DVD) - $11.99
Uta no Prince-sama 1000%: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $20.99
Uta no Prince-sama 2000%: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $20.99
Valvrave the Liberator: Season 1 (Blu-ray) - $79.98
Valvrave the Liberator: Season 2 (Blu-ray) - $79.98
You're Being Summoned, Azazel: Complete Collection (DVD) - $19.99

MANGA/OTHERS:
Cardcaptor Sakura: Omnibus Volume 1 (Dark Horse) - $10.00 *also applies to Vol.2-4*
Inuyashiki: Volume 1 (Kodansha Comics) - $6.50

Robert's Anime Corner Store Holiday Sale - Winter und Panzer: Day 6

SALVO3.gif

.Mon.. | ..Tue.. | .Wed.. | .Thu.. | ..Fri... | ..Sat.. | ..Sun..
******** | Day 01 | Day 02 | Day 03 | ******** | Day 04 | *******
Day 05 | ******** | ******** | ******** | ******** | Day 06

As for delivery experience, I've ordered individual items from them before and they arrived in excellent condition with value reduced to avoid customs. I have yet to test out the bigger sets so it may vary.

SALVO4.gif

Anime (A-L):
Akikan!: Complete Collection (DVD) - $25.99
Amagami SS: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $37.79
Amagami SS+: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $24.49
Antique Bakery: Complete Collection Limited Edition (DVD) - $18.98 *Limited to Stock on Hand*
Brynhildr in the Darkness: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $28.99
Cluster Edge: Collection 1 (DVD) - $19.98
Cluster Edge: Collection 2 (DVD) - $19.98
Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE!: Volume 1 Collector's Edition (Blu-ray & DVD) - $67.98
Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE!: Volume 2 Collector's Edition (Blu-ray & DVD) - $67.98
Cuticle Detective Inaba: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $20.99
DD Fist of the North Star: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $24.99
Denki-Gai: Volume 1 Collector's Edition (Blu-ray & DVD) - $67.98
Denki-Gai: Volume 2 Collector's Edition (Blu-ray & DVD) - $67.98
Ebiten: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $30.99
Engaged to the Unidentified: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $24.99
Fullmetal Alchemist: Complete Collection Collector's Edition (Blu-ray) - $179.98
Fullmetal Alchemist: Complete Collection Limited Edition (Blu-ray) - $67.98
Ghost Hound: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $46.79
Golden Time: Collection 1 (Blu-ray) - $24.99
Golden Time: Collection 2 (Blu-ray) - $24.99
High School of the Dead: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray) - $3.99
Himawari!: Complete Collection (DVD) - $25.99
Himawari!, Too!: Complete Collection (DVD) - $25.99
In Solitude Where We Are Least Alone (Yosuga no Sora): Complete Collection (DVD) - $16.98
Kimikiss Pure Rouge: Complete Collection (DVD) - $36.39
Leviathan - The Last Defense: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $28.99
Listen to me Girls, I am Your Father!: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $30.99
Love, Election & Chocolate: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $28.79
Lovely Complex (Love*Com): Complete Collection (DVD) - $27.98

SALVO5.gif

Anime (M-Z):
Medaka Box: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $33.59
Medaka Box Abnormal: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $33.59
Momo, Girl God of Death -The Ballad of a Shinigami-: Complete Collection (DVD) - $15.59
Mysterious Girlfriend X: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $29.39
New Dominion Tank Police: Complete Collection (DVD) - $9.59
Orphen: Complete Collection (DVD) - $25.99
Persona 4 the Animation: Collection 1 [Dub Only] (Blu-ray) - $30.99
Persona 4 the Animation: Collection 2 [Dub Only] (Blu-ray) - $30.99
Persona Trinity Soul: Collection 1 Standard Edition (DVD) - $23.99
Persona Trinity Soul: Collection 2 Standard Edition (DVD) - $23.99
Ray: Complete Collection (DVD) - $25.99
Say, "I Love You": Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $36.39
Sugar, A Little Snow Fairy: Collection 1 (DVD) - $20.79
Sugar, A Little Snow Fairy: Collection 2 (DVD) - $20.79
Taisho Baseball Girls: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - $20.99
Tegami Bachi Letter Bee: Season 1 Collection 1 (DVD) - $20.99
Tegami Bachi Letter Bee: Season 1 Collection 2 (DVD) - $20.99
Tegami Bachi Letter Bee: Season 2 Collection 1 (DVD) - $20.99
Tegami Bachi Letter Bee: Season 2 Collection 2 (DVD) - $20.99
Valvrave the Liberator: Season 1 (Blu-ray) - $149.98

SALVO6.gif

Manga:
Attack on Titan: Volume 1 (Kodansha Comics) - $6.69 *also applies to Vol.2-16*
Magi: Volume 1 (Viz Media) - $4.99 *also applies to Vol.2-14*
Nightmare Inspector: Yumekui Kenbun: Volume 1 (Viz Media) - $4.99 *also applies to Vol.2-8*

IncendiaryLemon said:
MVM's DOTW is now Fruits Basket

http://www.anime-on-line.com/xcart/prod ... cat&page=1

How is this one? It's a title I've been aware of for sometime but I'm not sure exactly what it is or how good it is.
I'd also recommend Fruits Basket. As well as being a great Shoujo title, I think it's also a bit more accessible than some. I'd say a lot of that has to do with having a very strong female protagonist (rather than a bland self-insert type), though the male characters are plenty interesting as well so that probably helps.

In terms of story, it's mostly about a group of people who have had difficult lives trying to get on with them (though I'm not sure that does it justice). I found it had a good mix of comedy and some pretty strong emotional stuff.

Back