UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

Thanks for the heads up, I went ahead and ordered. Was on the fence a little but a CE for £24 is a fantastic price. The seller has 99% positive feedback so I feel confident that they're trustworthy.

Bought from their website before and not had a problem. This was a series I had to cancel preordering due to low funds but for that price I'll grab it and to hell with my funds :p

I've used the Entertainment Store on several occasions in the past, through Rakuten (where they have it listed for £37.99), and Amazon Marketplace, and they're a decent seller. I just don't trust e-bay.

Honestly, eBay is a great place to grab Anime. PayPal has your back in terms of protection and as long as you only buy from people with positive feedback, you've got nothing to worry about. I've gotten some huge bargains from eBay. I grabbed the complete collections of Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari on BD for ~£20 each and the LE of Freedom for a fiver!

Guys - do your due dilligence when ordering on Ebay. The negative feedback on that seller and the details of it is quite telling. Multiple complaints about them advertising product they do not have in stock, and I found at least one complaint about dubious DVDs.

Remember, where anime is concerned on Ebay, if in doubt, do not buy.

HdE said:
Guys - do your due dilligence when ordering on Ebay. The negative feedback on that seller and the details of it is quite telling. Multiple complaints about them advertising product they do not have in stock, and I found at least one complaint about dubious DVDs.

I was going to say that eBay is the worst place to search for anime because of bootlegs.

Then again when you find the right seller (like Animeshumi) it can turn out well enough.

You can tell a bootleg from a mile away though. The covers are a dead giveaway. Or if it's from Malaysia. I'll admit, you have to be careful, but if you're savvy enough it can be fantastic.

IncendiaryLemon said:
You can tell a bootleg from a mile away though. The covers are a dead giveaway. Or if it's from Malaysia. I'll admit, you have to be careful, but if you're savvy enough it can be fantastic.

The only extra note of caution I'd urge is that some sellers are dealing in bootlegs over on Ebay while displaying images of legit products. Although I agree, this is easy enough to spot if you know what to look for.

I routinely report bootlegs to Ebay, and it's staggering how many of the sellers record superb feedback in spite of their goods being very obviously counterfeit.

Just proceed with caution!

HdE said:
I routinely report bootlegs to Ebay, and it's staggering how many of the sellers record superb feedback in spite of their goods being very obviously counterfeit.

Just proceed with caution!

I guess some people probably aren't even aware they are buying bootlegs or are intentionally buying them.

I have ordered The Eccentric Family now . I was looking at the sellers other items they have Gurren Lagann ultimate edition listed for £1,149 I'm assuming there was a accidental 1 added .

IncendiaryLemon said:
I guess some people probably aren't even aware they are buying bootlegs or are intentionally buying them.

I can't imagine anybody subjecting themselves to them intentionally nowadays. You can usually tell very quickly as the disk count is stupid (3 disks if not less for a 26 episode show) and they usually have a big shiny gold circle on the cover. The video quality is also awful as the slightest bit of movement causes everything toturn into a blocky, compressed, mess as they fit so many episodes onto one disk and use a very old and inefficient codec.

I confess that I did buy bootlegs back when I was at college because I lacked the funds to keep buying 4 episode disks and for the cost of one or two of those I could get the entire series on bootleg with the same quality (usually 1 or 2 disks less) just without any extras or adverts. I still have a few from back in the day and they're incomparable in quality to the official releases (which I now own as well unless unavailable).

I do report bootlegs on ebay now as the cost of anime is nothing like it was back then and the quality is so awful. It's frustrating when you search for an OOP series and end up with an army of bootlegs popping up which you have to search through to find a legitimate copy. Ebay never seem to do anything though as the same sellers just keep cropping up.

serpantino said:
I can't imagine anybody subjecting themselves to them intentionally nowadays. You can usually tell very quickly as the disk count is stupid (3 disks if not less for a 26 episode show) and they usually have a big shiny gold circle on the cover. The video quality is also awful as the slightest bit of movement causes everything toturn into a blocky, compressed, mess as they fit so many episodes onto one disk and use a very old and inefficient codec.

Sadly, there are still a few people who seem t be availing themselves of these. I left one Facebook group where one particular idiot kept proudly posting photos of the bootlegs he'd bought, and making loud noises about how much money he'd saved as a result of buying obviously counterfeit goods. He was also pretty rude when I mentioned to him that he may be buying dodgy material without realising it. I've no sympathy for the cretin - one day, he'll go back to play his discs and wonder why they've suddenly corrupted.

Simply put, it is NEVER worth buying bootlegs. The guys producing them are in the business of providing the cheapest possible product for the highest possible profit. I remember being EXTREMELY pissed of years back after buying what I thought was the Cowboy Bebop complete collection on Ebay and receiving DVD-Rs in a cardboard case.

serpantino said:
I do report bootlegs on ebay now as the cost of anime is nothing like it was back then and the quality is so awful. It's frustrating when you search for an OOP series and end up with an army of bootlegs popping up which you have to search through to find a legitimate copy. Ebay never seem to do anything though as the same sellers just keep cropping up.

Ebay will act on this stuff - the bigger problem is that their report system doesn't really make much room for all the info you'd really need to provide to prove the claim that a product is bootlegged. I always figure that several reports on one seller will mean Ebay has to look into them.

Pirates generally operate on Ebay under several different storefronts, I've noticed. You can tell when the products are identical between them and the feedback is generally similar. Somebody will ALWAYS call them out on dodgy goods there.

Just keep fighting the good fight, peeps!

Buying bootlegs, as a concept, never made any sense to me. If you're willing to buy bootlegs, why not just torrent shows instead? Not that I condone either but if you are going to rip off the creators/official distributors, so you might as well illegally obtain the shows for free rather than pay some bloke to illegally obtain them for you...

HdE said:

Some times retailers (and online only stores such as The Entertainment Store) list items for pre-order (such as The Eccentric Family) and then when an ebayer buys it they expect to receive it within a few days.

Some people do not read the product listings or be aware that that show isn't out yet; so when they dont receive the product in question they will leave negative feedback - which is incredibly difficult to remove on eBay.

To be fair, nowhere on that page for Eccentric Family does it actually say it's a pre order. If someone bought it who weren't enthusiasts (If that's the right word to use) like people here and don't keep track of when shows are coming out and stuff, you'd think you would get it in a few days.

Back