UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

ayase said:
Fabio, you just cost me £27.85 I really didn't need to spend right now.

vashdaman said:
:? What the heck do you guys do with all your shrinkwrap then?
207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Eh? Of course I'm serious, is there some secret use for it that I have failed to find all these years? Has it become a valuable commodity in the last few years that can be sold on for profit? :?

Maybe I just really am missing something rather embarrassing here, and it's gonna be like that time a realized (last year) that Christmas song goes "Oh I wish it could be Christmas, everydaaa-ay" and not the "Oh I wish you a kooky Christmas everydaa-ay" I always thought it went......yep, true story...

:D

Birdy the Mighty Volumes 1 & 2: £15.90.

High School of the Dead on Blu Ray: £11.95.

Vash really honestly believing that people are collecting shrink-wrap: Priceless.

I keep the shrink wraps on the DVD case, because DVDs have that tipical "new smell" when you open it and the shrink wrap keeps that smell. Hell, I've got Age of Empire 1 in a big box which gives the feeling that it is new, thanks to the shrink wrap :D

Tind said:
I keep the shrink wraps on the DVD case, because DVDs have that tipical "new smell" when you open it and the shrink wrap keeps that smell. Hell, I've got Age of Empire 1 in a big box which gives the feeling that it is new, thanks to the shrink wrap :D

I keep the shrinkwrap on my cases as well. Helps keep dust etc from getting in the case.

People really do carefully preserve the shrinkwrap. I've only ever kept the re-sealable bags from Japanese discs (although I think I chucked it when we moved) and shrinkwrap if it has first press stickers on (the part with the sticker anyway).
Got second hand discs from Japan with the shrinkwrap carefully cut and slid back on.

mangaman74 said:
Just Passing Through said:
Just before AoL shut up shop for Christmas and the New Year, their yuletide bargain of the holidays is...

X: The TV Series for £9.99.

with shrinkwrap...

Is that a guarantee only my copy of Druaga from the other week wasn't shrinkwrapped.

Well they do have a comments box for when you place your order... Ask for extra shrinkwrap at that point. You might even get it double shrinkwrapped.

Infinitely better than the movie!

As a TV series I'd rate it between a 7 and an 8. Good story, great character development, lacks that spark that would make it a great series in my book though. Well worth a tenner. Hell! It's worth £20.

EDIT: Let me qualify that. I hate and avoid stories about fate and predestination. I always think of it as a cheat, and all that lies at the heart of X. But I like X the TV series. It's the exception to my rule.

^
Anything's better than X the movie. That film practically scarred me as a child.

Shiroi Hane said:
People really do carefully preserve the shrinkwrap. I've only ever kept the re-sealable bags from Japanese discs (although I think I chucked it when we moved) and shrinkwrap if it has first press stickers on (the part with the sticker anyway).
Got second hand discs from Japan with the shrinkwrap carefully cut and slid back on.

Wow, I think I would be bloody impressed if I bought a second hand DVD like that!

Yeah, I'd heard the movie was poor, I didn't even pick it up on Lovefilm. If the series is beter it can't hurt for a tenner though :)

Damn I have an addiction to buying things :(

ayase said:
:D

Birdy the Mighty Volumes 1 & 2: £15.90.

High School of the Dead on Blu Ray: £11.95.

Vash really honestly believing that people are collecting shrink-wrap: Priceless.
I lolled at this, mainly because it was funny, but also because I knew mm was being serious. ^^;

I, obviously, was not.

vashdaman said:
Wow, I think I would be bloody impressed if I bought a second hand DVD like that!
Most of the games/anime/etc stuff sold "second hand" in shops in Japan is like new.

Just Passing Through said:
Infinitely better than the movie!

As a TV series I'd rate it between a 7 and an 8. Good story, great character development

This enough to put it miles above the movie! Thanks to you and the others that answered my question.
But it's better if I find someone to hypnotize me to stop buying stuff. I have about 70 anime titles in my backlog, not considering all the others, so I need to stop my compulsive buying mania sooner or later. My name is Teo and I'm a compulsive buyer, I need help.

Teo

ilmaestro said:
vashdaman said:
Most of the games/anime/etc stuff sold "second hand" in shops in Japan is like new.

And with that, it's time for...

HdE's YULETIDE RANT!

Yeah. Money's a bit tight for me at the moment, and so I've been picking up a few standalone releases of things second-hand from Amazon and Play marketplace sellers.

Call me picky, but 'used - like new' should mean 'used, like new'. That is to say, NO damage to the product, NO scratches to discs, NO (or minimal) wear and tear to the packaging.

This is not reality, alas.

This year, I've had no less than three such items delivered to me that were described as above. And when they arrived...

Note to marketplace sellers: If you send me a DVD that REEKS of cigarette smoke, then it is NOT 'like new'.

If you send me a DVD that is missing its cover insert, then it is NOT 'like new'.

If you send me a DVD that looks like Torville and Dean danced the Bolero on it in their new skates immediately prior to shipping, then it is - most asseredly - NOT 'like new'.

In each case, I gained a full refund for the items and left appropriate feedback. But this nonsense REALLY frustrates me. I'm left thinking 'if you couldn't take care of it, then you didn't deserve to have it in the first place.'

[/militant ranting]

Yeah, one should definitely read "used, like new" as "it should work alright, but you might have to brush the Monster Munch crumbs of the disk first", it's less disappointing that way.

Back