UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

I've more or less been following the discussion on here about the upcoming EVA blu-ray releases, and I get that the older dub is desirable, which won't be on the standard edition release, but what about the subtitles?

As someone who has no interest in dubs, and has never seen Evangelion, I'm just wondering if the CE worth considering over the SE just for the "classic" subtitle script, or is there far less difference between the subs than there is the dubs?
I've also not seen Eva yet but I'd like to know too. I do know the Netflix script is supposed to be a more literal translation.

I've also read some stuff online that in the Netflix subs; the timing of the subs is off in several episodes, the opening audio is out of sync in some episodes, certain dialogue if repeated is not subtitled, and that insert text is not translated.

I don't know whether these have been fixed now though. So I'm getting it for the ADV subs just in case.

Last edited:
I've more or less been following the discussion on here about the upcoming EVA blu-ray releases, and I get that the older dub is desirable, which won't be on the standard edition release, but what about the subtitles?

As someone who has no interest in dubs, and has never seen Evangelion, I'm just wondering if the CE worth considering over the SE just for the "classic" subtitle script, or is there far less difference between the subs than there is the dubs?

I’m one who’s getting it for the ADV subs, because I’ve heard rumours about the overly literal Khara mandated Netflix subs. The originals apparently flow more naturally. But I haven’t seen the Netflix version…

I’m one who’s getting it for the ADV subs, because I’ve heard rumours about the overly literal Khara mandated Netflix subs. The originals apparently flow more naturally. But I haven’t seen the Netflix version…
I've watched the Netflix version and I think a lot of the criticism is a bit exaggerated. Sure there's some awkward parts but overall I think they did a pretty good job. Didn't ruin my experience at least

Apparently Evangelion's Zavvi Exclusive Collector's Edition Blu-ray (which has the same discs as the UE) is now £79.99 + Postage, reduced from £124.99 + Postage.

So I've been chewing on this all weekend long, and I finally decided to bite - I went ahead and pre-ordered a copy of the Zavvi Evangelion CE for $120 to import over here to the US - that's $55 less than the US set, and identical except for the disc region.

I do have the US Ultimate Edition also on pre-order, and even though I have region-switchable Blu-ray players, what I'll likely do is swap the discs in the two sets, so that the Region A discs are in the CE box on my anime shelf for easy access, and the Region B discs are in the Ultimate set that sits out somewhere else mainly for display-only.

Can you highlight any CEs or LEs that might be of interest ?
If that is the case, I haven't completely looked through the selection myself. There's at least 249 results (min spend £20). Some average and some good deals.

Not much help but it's best for you to quickly skim it in case you'll find something of interest. The discount is valid until 11:59PM UK local time.

There are quite a few anime titles in the 'Today's Deals' section on Amazon, not amazing discounts but still worth a browse.

A few imports via AmazonUK::

Inuyasha Set 2 (BD) £16.82 (but probably still best waiting for the UK set and possibly region A only (haven't checked))
EDIT: Strike through added due to Poor video qualitly on US version

Bleach are all region A - Blu-rays
NOTE: Episode counts differ from UK DVD Series, e.g. Set 4 has the end of Series 4 and goes into series 5
Bleach Blu-ray set 2 £24.10
Bleach Blu-ray set 4 £23.26
Bleach Blu-ray set 5 £25.24
Bleach Blu-ray set 6 £24.56
Set 7 £23, set 8 £24
Set 3 £30, set 10 £30, Set 11 £32.60
(set 1 isn't really a bargin)

Last edited:
£55 for 1st 3 seasons of my hero academia on amazon My Hero Academia: Collection Box Seasons 1-3 My Hero Academia: Collection Box Seasons 1-3 [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: DVD & Blu-ray
That's about what I bought it for when it first came out/ pre-ordered from UP1, so certainly a good price if you don't have, as after release it went up to at least £70 (£80-90 most places).
The actual item itself I wasn't overly impressed (they really should have removed the "Plus Ultra collection" as it was copied over from the US edition and that had actual extra's). UK version if I rememeber correctly is just 3 season blu-ray cases and a card art box (Not the sturdy kind).

Did also see some on Onbuy via SpeedyHen for £46, but it depends how much you trust them to send you what you want, Part of me is thinking they have listed it wrong and will actually send you the DVD version.

Last edited:
Back