UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

United Publications have often priced their AL titles around the same range as the early birds, so here's some examples if you missed out on the EBs:
  • The Future Diary (CE Blu-ray) - £32.99 + P&P
  • Love Live! School Idol Movie (CE Blu-ray) - £19.24 + P&P
  • Penguindrum (CE Blu-ray) - £38.49 + P&P
  • PSYCHO-PASS: Sinners of the System (CE Blu-ray) - £32.99 + P&P
  • Violet Evergarden: Eternity and the Auto-Memory Doll (CE Blu-ray) - £24.74 + P&P

Wonder if people will get their VE Auto Memory Doll CE's before I get my regular VE CE delivered!

United Publications have often priced their AL titles around the same range as the early birds, so here's some examples if you missed out on the EBs:
  • The Future Diary (CE Blu-ray) - £32.99 + P&P
  • Love Live! School Idol Movie (CE Blu-ray) - £19.24 + P&P
  • Penguindrum (CE Blu-ray) - £38.49 + P&P
  • PSYCHO-PASS: Sinners of the System (CE Blu-ray) - £32.99 + P&P
  • Violet Evergarden: Eternity and the Auto-Memory Doll (CE Blu-ray) - £24.74 + P&P
AL is on a roll for me with their Collector's Editions recently - I've now pre-ordered all of these CE releases except Love Live (which you'll never see me get near, lol)... I ordered these from AOL, in 3 separate orders, and all at pretty much these same prices. Not sure I'll care for Penguindrum, it's a total blind buy, but since this one comes in a nice CE set, and I never got around to buying the US standard release, I threw it in with my last order.

Not sure about those Zavvi steelbooks but picked up Arrows Graveyards of Honor & Hellraiser boxsets for £13.49 each!! (Red carpet price)
They had the Survivor Ballads Boxset available earlier for £17.99 with a code too but sadly it went OOS just as I posted it.

I've noticed quite a lot of US Funimation releases have massively dropped on UK Amazon.
Here's some I thought look like good deals (there's more though)

Gosick (£20)
Clockwork Planet (£15)
Drifters (£20)
Ancient Magus Bride - Complete (£25)
Junior Taisen: Zodiac War (£14)
Buddy Complex (£16)
Tsukigakirei (£16)
Gunslinger Girl - Season 1 (£17)
Fuuka (£17)
Freezing - Season 1 (£15)
Freezing - Season 2 (£13)
Free! Season 2 (£17)
Yamada Kun & the 7 witches (£20)
Island (£16)
Level E (£10) s.a.v.e. (also.... rubbish)
Hanebado! (£16)
Robotics; notes - Complete (£20)
Orange (£16)
B gata h kei (£15)
Shonen maid (£12)
A sister's all you need (£18)
Black Lagoon - Complete (£27)
Ai Tenchi Muyo (£16)
Senran Kagura: Ninja Flash (£17)
Yona of the Dawn - complete (£14)
Heaven's Lost Property - Season 2 (£16)
Heaven's Lost Property - Movie (£16
Prince of Stride: Alternative (£13)
World Break (£14)
Magical Girl Rising Project (£22)
Kinos Journey: The Beautiful World (£17)
Konohana kitan (£16)
Maria the Virginia witch (£17)

"not cheap, but cheapest you'll find"
Hensuki (£33)
Haganai Next (£31)

I think its because Amazon UK & US have some kind of system where we don't pay import fees 🤷‍♂️
Yeah for Amazon UK, we already pay the VAT upfront which I presume is why we don't get hit by customs. As for the US, there's the AmazonGlobal system which covers the pre-paid VAT upfront part. Other than that, I presume shipping restrictions caused by COVID is probably the other remaining factor.

There will be a clearance fee factored into the VAT calculation there, which is always a flat rate for small shipments and a % for very large ones. So the cheaper deals will have proportionally high fees, most likely. All of the major couriers charge fees for clearance on top of the 20% of actual VAT.

R

Ebay Global shipping (I believe is shipped twice), in this case shipped once with in a US to a US Hub, then processed with adding the Importing documentation the shipped again to the customer in the UK.

An example of an order I've did a few months back:
Price
US $38.70​
Postage
US $16.07​
Import charges
US $15.36​
Total charged to
US $70.13​

I'm pretty sure it is also VAT on both price and postage cost
And as Rui says it looks like there is a clearance/handling fee

But can still work out cheaper than getting VAT bills and handling fees on this side.

In my case to make it worth while I bought 3 items from the same seller, but it's gonna vary between sellers and how much they charge on postage for extra items, ect.

EDIT: you may even be able to work out the clearance/handling fee by temporarily increasing the amount of items (before purchase) and some math fun

Ebay Global shipping (I believe is shipped twice), in this case shipped once with in a US to a US Hub, then processed with adding the Importing documentation the shipped again to the customer in the UK.

An example of an order I've did a few months back:
Price
US $38.70​
Postage
US $16.07​
Import charges
US $15.36​
Total charged to
US $70.13​

I'm pretty sure it is also VAT on both price and postage cost
And as Rui says it looks like there is a clearance/handling fee

But can still work out cheaper than getting VAT bills and handling fees on this side.

In my case to make it worth while I bought 3 items from the same seller, but it's gonna vary between sellers and how much they charge on postage for extra items, ect.

EDIT: you may even be able to work out the clearance/handling fee by temporarily increasing the amount of items (before purchase) and some math fun
Thanks both for the explanations, makes sense. I've also noticed that some of it depends on the seller.

they bumped the price but can that code be used on anime blu rays or other games etc ? struggling to find anything
Code can only be used with selected sellers (there's a list on the site).

I got Switch version of SMT3 for £28 from Boss Deals/Simply Games. Depending on how many copies Atlus printed, it may not go lower than that.

Reduced prices on select Manga titles on Amazon, note that many titles are temporarily out of stock:

ARIFURETA: From Commonplace to World's Strongest Season 1 - £19.79
Astra Lost in Space - £20.99
Demon Lord, Retry! - £17.99
Fairy Gone Part 1 - £19.79
Fairy Tail Zero - £17.99
Fire Force Season 1 Part 1 - £17.99
Fire Force Season 1 Part 2 - £14.99
Fruits Basket Season 1 Part 1 - £14.99
High School DxD New - £19.79
How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift? - £20.99
Mob Psycho 100 II - £17.99
NEW GAME! & NEW GAME!! - £23.99
The Rising of the Shield Hero Part 1 - £17.99

(Disclaimer: All above links are affiliated)

If you're looking for Fruits Basket Season 2 Part 1 on Blu Ray, there are some used sets being sold by Music Magpie on Amazon UK at £11.98 (described as in very good condition, so may or may not come with the slipcover).

Back