UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

Thanks Aion - Terra and Hell girl ordered.

If it only happened a couple says earlier, I could have saved a few quids on school rumble as well....

Edit: I'm currently watching School rumble and it has some seriously funny moments. Laugh out loud stuff. but then again, my standards are low compared to most people =P

Cheers Aion. "School Rumble" ordered! Always wanted to see what the anime was like... and now I can. :p

Would have ordered more but I have my fiance's Bday coming up and I still have to get her a present and to pay for the slap up meal I'll be taking her out for.
*opens wallet to a moth*
TT_TT

Aion said:
Towards the Terra has a high MAL rating and has no moe. That more than likely means it's worth the money.
It'll probably bore you. It bored me, and I usually like slow paced sci-fi/space opera.

School Rumble might be worth a punt at that price. I rented the first DVD and wasn't overly impressed but I wouldn't mind giving it another chance. Hell Girl is an almost certain buy, although I remain concerned with the complaints about repetition.

Ergo Proxy for £18 is a total bargain. I bought the R1 box and singles and I don't regret it.

Hakuna matata.

It's lucky I randomly decided to have a look this morning and not later because the box sets are still missing from the pre-order list. I wouldn't have known about them had I looked later - they don't even seem to appear when looking through the anime section.

fabricatedlunatic said:
It'll probably bore you. It bored me, and I usually like slow paced sci-fi/space opera.

School Rumble might be worth a punt at that price. I rented the first DVD and wasn't overly impressed but I wouldn't mind giving it another chance. Hell Girl is an almost certain buy, although I remain concerned with the complaints about repetition.

Ergo Proxy for £18 is a total bargain. I bought the R1 box and singles and I don't regret it.

If you found it boring, I'll probably find it to be thrilling. But, good or bad, £18 for the box set of a recent series is excellent value for money.

Hell Girl just isn't executed well. The stories are lacking, usually not having anything dark or disturbing enough to get my teeth into (usually being plain dumb instead), and the same 'dressing and then riding off in a cart with faces for wheels' animation gets shown every episode, with the same music. It's neither a looker nor one for deep thinkers. The only good things about it are that it isn't light-hearted like most and it's easy to watch because each episode has a different story... though it always ends the same everytime.

As for Ergo, I dropped it when it was still being fansubbed, just after the 'thing' put its finger to the lips of the lead hottie. As penis rising as she was, I don't dig stories full of technobabble and little to no explanations about what the **** is supposed to be going on. I am, however, willing to give it another chance on DVD.

Aion said:
If you found it boring, I'll probably find it to be thrilling.
I have trouble imagining anybody finding Toward the Terra thrilling. It does have its moments, though, and overall it's not bad. The problem is that it failed to make me care about the characters so all the melodrama (and there is a lot) fell flat.

Thanks Aion. Grabbed Hell Girl and Towards the Terra (which I'm currently watching the old movie version of as I type). Not bothered about the rest but £17.99 for the two I actually wanted is a steal.

Probably less of a deal from the RRP but two more from my wishlist are now listed at the magic £17.99 too; sharing just in case:

Sergeant Frog pt1

He Is My Master complete

R

Magikano is there for £17.99, too. But both that and HIMM are lowly rated, short series aimed at perverts, so I didn't mention them.

PlayUSA's prices are still ******, btw. £17.99 for the soon to be released first season of School Rumble... and £28.99 for the second. I can only assume the new box set of the first season is a re-release.

I wanted to see if we were going to be lucky enough to get Welcome to the NHK and When They Cry for £18, but they weren't listed. In truth, they probably would've been listed for £28.99 anyway...

Aion said:
I can only assume the new box set of the first season is a re-release.
Yup. Viridian Collection with a $50 retail price, making it a decent bargain. Season 2 is being released as a complete collection for the first time and retails for $70.

Quite tempted by Sgt. Frog but I doubt I'd get many of the references.

One thing I neglected to mention: The best price on DVDPacific, usually the best place to import from on release, is £17 + £5 shipping for most, if not all. They charge by the disc instead of size, and these days they charge a lot per disc.

PlayUSA ship from within the UK and, as far as I know, charge in pounds. This all adds up to mean that, when the £17.99 anime person lists anime on PlayUSA, you can't get any better when dealing with these 4+ disc sets.

Anyway, it's just good to be able to order stuff from PlayUSA again. I like having a load of bargaintastic junk on pre-order. :D

All @ HMV:

Ghost In The Shell: Sac: 2nd Gig: Volume 4: 2dvd R2 £2.99
Ghost In The Shell: Sac: Volume 6: 2dvd R2 £2.99
Ghost In The Shell: Sac: Volume 5: 2dvd R2 £2.99
Ghost In The Shell: Sac: 2nd Gig: Volume 1: 2dvd R2 £2.99
Ghost In The Shell: Sac: 2nd Gig: Volume 5: 2dvd R2 £2.99
Ghost In The Shell: Sac: 2nd Gig: Volume 7: 2dvd R2 £2.99
Ghost In The Shell: Sac: Volume 1: 2dvd R2 £2.99
Ghost In The Shell: Sac: 2nd Gig: Volume 6: 2dvd R2 £2.99
Ghost In The Shell: Sac: 2nd Gig: Volume 2: 2dvd R2 £2.99
Ghost In The Shell: Sac: Volume 4: 2dvd R2 £2.99
Ghost In The Shell: Sac: Volume 3: 2dvd R2 £2.99
Ghost In The Shell: Sac: Volume 7: 2dvd R2 £2.99
Ghost In The Shell: Sac: 2nd Gig: Volume 3: 2dvd R2 £2.99

Otogi Zoshi: Volume 1 - 6, £2.99 each

One other thing: the Hell Girl viridian set has been cancelled. The RRP of the first set has been dropped to $50 instead.

I'm thinking about ordering it from DVDPacific because the shipping is only $2.70. I'm hesitating because DVDPacific are known to alter shipping charges after orders are placed.

Aion said:
I'm thinking about ordering it from DVDPacific because the shipping is only $2.70. I'm hesitating because DVDPacific are known to alter shipping charges after orders are placed.

Never in my five years as a DVD Pacific customer has that ever happened to me. Where did you hear of that?

DVDPacific charge shipping based on the disc count. Sometimes, like with Hell Girl, they get it wrong - charging for two discs when there are four. If they spot the error, they edit the shipping costs. On the page where you order it even says shipping costs are not final.

I meant £2 and not $2, by the way.

--------

Negima: Spring & Summer Special - £3.99

Blue Dragon: Volume 1 - £8.99 (the only recent Manga series I'm staying well clear of)

Noein Box Set: £14.89

Love Hina Box Set: £17.89

Oh thats nothing, only a few dollars.

Also, where did you get the idea that the shipping for you was only £2? UK shipping from them is more than that even for a single disc.

Back