UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

you reckon there's any difference between the double boxed Patlabor and the stand alone ones, apart from a £1 difference. The pictures just make them seem like the singles are matte cardboard cases and the doubles as shiny foil ones... well mine have been sent so guess I'll find out soon enough. Thanks for the heads up on the latest offers guys, much appreciated. :D

ayase said:
Aion said:
In other news, one of my .hack//SIGN box set 2 misprice orders came through. Another £3 Beez set.
I'd better f'ing well get one of these too then.

I wonder how much you just cost ASDA? I mean there's no way these boxes are £3 wholesale. I sure wish a major supermarket would subsidise my anime consumption like that...

I'd say at an estimate full RRP was the cost - as these were mistakes on ASDA's system and they have to honor full price with the distributor still apparently...so no complaints there really.

Should be fixed now as I flagged it pretty quickly to them (nothing personal but I'd rather not face off against a very angry supermarket :p).

Raz23 said:
you reckon there's any difference between the double boxed Patlabor and the stand alone ones, apart from a £1 difference. The pictures just make them seem like the singles are matte cardboard cases and the doubles as shiny foil ones... well mine have been sent so guess I'll find out soon enough. Thanks for the heads up on the latest offers guys, much appreciated. :D

No difference between them, there's a wrap-around to keep the two in place but that's it - the packaging is all in all the same :).

- Andrew,
Beez Entertainment

I doubt I'll get the Gundam Wing set now, even though I ordered it the same time as everyone else... Asda haven't cancelled it yet. It's just hovering in limbo

But that Patlabor set is in the post, which will more than make up for it.

There's now an even better reason not to post misprices: we have a rat in the house. Not that I would nowadays, anyway.

Fear not, Justpa: I'll sell you one of mine for £50. :)

It's odd how I got four. I guess most people were dumb and ordered 10 from one store instead of just ordering a few from different stores.

4/4 on Gundam Wing, 2/4 on .hack//SIGN, 0/4 of Stratos 4 (yeah, 'cuz I really wanted that) and no idea about WHR.

My Planetes sets and poor Oshii movies are in the post, also. My Planetes sets were probably sent in jiffy bags and the Patlabor set in a box, going on the gap between sending the Planetes sets and Patlabor.

Aion said:
Fear not, Justpa: I'll sell you one of mine for £50. :)

No, but I'll swap it for a course of Tamiflu.

Asda group of online stores are mugs when it comes to misprices. Comes from not being a speciality retailer I guess. But I've placed around 10 orders with them, 8 for misprices.

I've had two orders filled, 8 cancellations.

Doesn't exactly engender consumer confidence when you have just a one in five chance of buying something in a shop.

mailman said:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gurren-Lagann-Part-2-DVD/dp/B002BAR906/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1248372120&sr=1-2

Looks like amazon have matched play.coms price on Gurren Lagann part 2
now £7.98 preorder (August 17) @ Amazon

Seems they also reduced the Ltd Edition version to £24.98, much like they did with the first volume.

Just had my Patlabor boxset arrive, play.com usual very loose cardboard box packaging, no harm done though apart from the cardboard sleeve that holds the two boxes together being ripped (anyone elses?). I notice that if you remove the paper cover from the back of both boxes the original print on the box is Region 1 yet the top has the limited UK numbering printed on the box, weird :S all in all I like the shiny gold and silver boxes and can't wait to be "disappointed" by the films :p

Raz23 said:
Just had my Patlabor boxset arrive, play.com usual very loose cardboard box packaging, no harm done though apart from the cardboard sleeve that holds the two boxes together being ripped (anyone elses?)

Yep, mine was ripped as well, down one of the corners. Sets themselves were fine though.

Wherehouse.com have a 25% off + free shipping code up: WH4DVD25. Wherehouse have the exact same stock and prices as SS, and they also appear to have the same order numbers.

The catch is, you need to order 4 DVDs for the code to become active. This was tricky for me since I mainly wanted the GTO Ultimate 2 box set.

My orders:

clipboard02t.jpg

clipboard03zno.jpg

Thanks much for the heads-up. Grabbed Sentimental Journey: The Complete Series and all four volumes of Angel Links (I know I said I wasn't going to order multiple volumes of the same series after SecondSpin arsed up my Outlaw Star order, but since they had at least two of each DVD in stock it should be fine).

For $25 :D

Cheers for the heads up there Aion, went and spent a bit :lol:

Anyway, got -

Bubblegum Crisis 2040 Vol 1 - 6
Mahoromatic Summer Specials
Green Green Vol 1-3
Phantom The Animation
Lyrical Nanoha A Complete
Please Teacher Complete
Venus Versus Virus Complete

...wont need to buy anything else till the expo now lol!

PlayUSA have done their usual half yearly site update, adding a fair few £17.99 anime box sets that will interest you lot. For some reason, they've all been removed from the 'Coming Soon' list, the title count dropping from 450 to 200-something, but the stuff is still on the site.

Ergo Proxy: £17.99

Hell Girl: £17.99

School Rumble: £17.99

Shana: £17.99

Towards the Terra: £17.99

Ordered everything apart from Shana, which I own already.

Ergo Proxy isn't really my cup of tea, me not really being into GitS-esque sci-fi, but the main character looks hot and it isn't the usual childish/perverted anime.

Hell Girl basically repeats itself every episode, was done on the cheap and isn't that high quality... but it is fairly enjoyable. For £18 when it'll never be released in full over here, I think it's a good deal.

I'd normally give School Rumble a miss, but its high MAL rating suggests it might be worth a looksee for the lowly sum of £18.

Towards the Terra has a high MAL rating and has no moe. That more than likely means it's worth the money.

Back