UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

Raz23 said:
Whatever happened to [Kurau and Red Garden complete collections]
The answer is in the post you quoted:

However, if a series was acquired with Sojitz money, then it's a fair chance that licence is gone. Those are shows that won't be reprinted, repressed or repackaged any time soon. So once all of Utawawhatzit, Chevy D'Eon, and all those Kurau,Wallflower, Red Garden singles are gone, as well as AMG S2V1, you won't ever see them again.
In short, ADV lost the licenses to those titles and so any plans to release further volumes, or collections, would have been shelved.

Apologies to anyone who entered this thread upon seeing new posts and hoping to find bargains only to be met with more of my drivel instead.

fabricatedlunatic said:
ayase said:
I learned from the best...
:D

I remember that episode but I don't remember ADV's subtitles (not their quite extensive liner notes) pointing out that what Tomo was saying in the first segment sounded like the Japanese word for "penis". Edutaninment!
And in the last she's not only making it sound like crap (unko) she's making it sound like crap tea (unko cha) instead of tumeric tea (ukoncha). The bits of Azumanga you miss when you don't know these things... (not that I can claim to have known the first time I watched it either) You'd still get that she was being annoying of course, but it's far funnier once you know she was employing wordplay and that Osaka is trying to copy her but doesn't really get the joke, Sata Andagii having no other meaning than Okinawan Donut.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Raz23 said:
Whatever happened to [Kurau and Red Garden complete collections]
The answer is in the post you quoted:

However, if a series was acquired with Sojitz money, then it's a fair chance that licence is gone. Those are shows that won't be reprinted, repressed or repackaged any time soon. So once all of Utawawhatzit, Chevy D'Eon, and all those Kurau,Wallflower, Red Garden singles are gone, as well as AMG S2V1, you won't ever see them again.
In short, ADV lost the licenses to those titles and so any plans to release further volumes, or collections, would have been shelved.

Apologies to anyone who entered this thread upon seeing new posts and hoping to find bargains only to be met with more of my drivel instead.

:) Had to say thanks for the info, really annoyed I can't buy Kurau here, absolutely loved that series, so emotional! :( anyway don't wanna clog up the forum without any links to some anime goodness:

HMV anime on the cheap, some good stuff there:
http://bit.ly/bgImo

Newly released (is it Ghibli?) Panda Go Panda! - £8.98 (cheapest price)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panda-Isao-Taka ... 931&sr=8-1

and because you know you love them:
The Moomin - Series 1 - Complete [1990] [DVD] £7
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moomin-1-Comple ... 897&sr=8-1

Well, ****. According to my emails, I have 4x Gundam Wing box sets (ordered from different Asda group stores) have been sent. Four.

Of course, what I really wanted -.hack//sign and Stratos 4 - were cancelled.

Deepdiscount.com have 25% off using code "SUPERSALE" and it seems to work more than the usual once.
I ordered Ghost Slayers Ayashi 1 SE and Tokyo Majin Part 1 including postage cheaper than I have seen elsewhere.

Second spin have 25% off (but not free shipping) using code "25ALLUSED"

Aion said:
Well, ****. According to my emails, I have 4x Gundam Wing box sets (ordered from different Asda group stores) have been sent. Four.

If that was the deal that was mentioned before I think the potential insane profits you can make on the Wing should fund the others. Wow.

Going to dive into the Deep Discount sale now. Nothing incredible but a few things I need to pick up that I keep forgetting about otherwise.

To contribute [late] to the thread, TRSI also have a megasale on at the moment which works out to $158 for 25 DVDs (of your choice, from a list), including shipping. I'm almost tempted since there's a lot there I want and even the eyewatering shipping makes it a good deal, but I have to be restrained this month and in my case (aside from Keaton...) it's all stuff that I can get in cheap boxes later.

R

Rui said:
To contribute [late] to the thread, TRSI also have a megasale on at the moment which works out to $158 for 25 DVDs (of your choice, from a list), including shipping.
TSRI's international shipping really doesn't favour purchasing singles. Otherwise I'd be spending yet more money...

fabricatedlunatic said:
Rui said:
To contribute [late] to the thread, TRSI also have a megasale on at the moment which works out to $158 for 25 DVDs (of your choice, from a list), including shipping.
TSRI's international shipping really doesn't favour purchasing singles. Otherwise I'd be spending yet more money...

I've had some success sweet talking their reps before for one-off discounts but I don't think I can afford it this time around even if they oblige. I'm so jealous of the US and their free shipping options.

R

Sweet talking, eh? Perhaps I should turn on the charm next time I order...

Somewhat off topic, but can anyone who's bought the recent Abenobashi complete collection confirm whether ADV's vid notes (pop-up subtitles that explain references) are present on the DVDs?

Rui said:
If that was the deal that was mentioned before I think the potential insane profits you can make on the Wing should fund the others. Wow.

I find it hard to believe four limited, very expensive box sets have all been sent for £3 each. The fact that each store emailed me at the exact same time makes me think it might just be one at best. I'm really not sure - they're all different orders, all made with different stores.

It does puzzle me that they cancelled my Stratos orders but no my Wing orders. There's just a slight RRP gap between them!

One guy on UKA posted today saying he'd received his £3 Wing set(s?). He's also received a Patlabor set. I missed out on getting in on these Beez misprices/deals ASAP because, due to Beez items never dropping in price before and Find-DVD removing stuff after 6 months, I wasn't alerted to the prices. Not that I'll really care if I get 4x Gundam Wing sets!

Anyway. The Wolf's Rain LE set is now on my watchlist. It's just waiting to drop to £3, I know it.

Rui said:
Aion said:

Going to dive into the Deep Discount sale now. Nothing incredible but a few things I need to pick up that I keep forgetting about otherwise.

To contribute [late] to the thread, TRSI also have a megasale on at the moment which works out to $158 for 25 DVDs (of your choice, from a list), including shipping. I'm almost tempted since there's a lot there I want and even the eyewatering shipping makes it a good deal, but I have to be restrained this month and in my case (aside from Keaton...) it's all stuff that I can get in cheap boxes later.

R

Regarding ASDA prices, those are mostly errors as far as I can tell as they were definitely never authorized on this side price point wise. That said if they honour it for you go for it :).

FYI too if they have any Wolf's Rain LEs left they are the only ones left in the country officially so are unlikely to drop especially :).

Figured I'd clarify that one as I didn't recall any specials being authorized at ASDA!

I find it doubtful anyone would knowingly sell an item with a £100 RRP for £3. For the misprices to be missed (someone has got a £3 Wing set) just shows how little people know about anime.

You did allow Play/FP/etc to lower their prices though, correct?

I ordered 2x WHR, 2x Planetes, 1xPatlabor and 1x Gunbuster 2...but still nothing. I think I got in on the Play prives too late. Either that or they dropped prices on what they never had to begin with!

4x Gundam Wing box sets arrived, for roughly £3 each.

I'm VERY happy with what I got for basically free but the RM piss me off. All were sent in jiffy bags and, of course, all the jiffy bags failed to protect the sets from the RM. One jiffy bag has a hole in it and the set inside has a Naruto manga box style knock to a corner. Two have chips to the same corner, with a riny bit loose, and the other one has has a knock to the same corner.

...oh well, the damage isn't bad (dropped set aside) and I should be able to make £50 x3. I'll keep the one that's in the best condition.

Gurren Lagann 2 (Standard) - £7.99

It's a pre-order so it may very well be cancelled before it gets sent. You never know though.

CD WOW STILL haven't corrected their £12.99 misprice for the first volume, and you can get it for £11.99 with a voucher. I've ordered it since it might now be possible to get 2/3 of the series for £20.

In other news, one of my .hack//SIGN box set 2 misprice orders came through. Another £3 Beez set.

Aion said:
In other news, one of my .hack//SIGN box set 2 misprice orders came through. Another £3 Beez set.
I'd better f'ing well get one of these too then.

I wonder how much you just cost ASDA? I mean there's no way these boxes are £3 wholesale. I sure wish a major supermarket would subsidise my anime consumption like that...

I didn't just order from Asda. The stores are all part of the Asda group, but each has different stock levels and people working for them. That's why all but one of my .hack//SIGN orders were cancelled.

I only order once per store when it comes to misprices. Any more is greedy. That's why it's good I don't feel guilty ordering four times from the Asda group stores. :D

Just to let you guys know, Rog has pointed out that the Planetes box sets and Patlabor 1+2 set are in-stock and at the packing stage. Get your orders in if you want 'em.

Play use jiffy bags and a lot of big parcels are gonna be sent at once. I'm a little worried after yesterday. >__<

Back