UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

What a good week. Both fantastic series
How depressing is Haibane renmei? Reading the description and watching the trailer it looks like a miserable experience. I prefer happier content, but don't mind bleaker settings if the content has a relatively positive protagonist like Girls last tour and Kino's journey.

How depressing is Haibane renmei? Reading the description and watching the trailer it looks like a miserable experience. I prefer happier content, but don't mind bleaker settings if the content has a relatively positive protagonist like Girls last tour and Kino's journey.

Not very, if you're thinking Texhnolyze levels of depression. It plays a slice-of-life mystery, upbeat for the most part, but the overall themes can be considered dark. You'll only get those towards the end of the story though, and it certainly doesn't end on a downer.

I wouldn't say it's really depressing, while some of the characters definately go through the emotional wringer and it does deal with some dark subject matter, if anything it's a show with quite positive messages about overcoming dark thinking. As someone who suffers from depression I found it quite cathartic. One of my favourites for sure and as you can probably tell from my current avatar, I also love Kino's Journey (and Girls' Last Tour as well).

It's also worth mentioning that the DVD is as good as it will probably ever look, preferable to the upscaled Blu-ray in many ways. It was one of those shows produced in the SD digital era that will sadly never have a true HD transfer. Which is a real shame because the backgrounds are lovely.

Given I already own the imported Japanese release, NT being reduced down to £20 took the sting off of buying it pretty much solely because of the nice matching boxes a bit! .... Only a bit, but still... I'm not stopping now!

Given I already own the imported Japanese release, NT being reduced down to £20 took the sting off of buying it pretty much solely because of the nice matching boxes a bit! .... Only a bit, but still... I'm not stopping now!
Yeah, I bought the Japanese one when I was over there and am also getting the AL set.

New additions to Manga Entertainment's Zavvi sale:
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Set 1 aka 2012 series - £18.99
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Set 2 aka Stardust Crusaders - £18.99
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Set 3 aka Stardust Crusaders: Battle of Egypt - £18.99
  • One Piece: Stampede - £10.99
  • One Piece: Stampede (LE Steelbook) - £18.99
  • One Punch Man Season 1 - £18.99
  • Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - £28.99
  • Wise Man's Grandchild - £22.99
Next week's the final batch which includes Dragon Maid and a few others. If you have access to UNIDAYS which comes with a 10% off discount code, it would be cheaper to get the items through Zavvi in one big order.

The current list of Amazon price-matched titles thus far:
  • The Ancient Magus' Bride Part 1 - £14.99
  • Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card Part 1 - £14.99
  • Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card Part 2 - £14.99
  • Demon Lord Retry - £22.99
  • How NOT To Summon A Demon Lord - £18.99
  • Saga of Tanya the Evil - £18.99
  • SSSS.GRIDMAN - £18.99
  • That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 1 Part 1 - £18.99
  • That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 1 Part 2 - £18.99

(Disclaimer: These Amazon links are affiliated, which will support me if you buy anything through the links provided.)
Amazon did some more price-matching:
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Set 1 aka 2012 series - £18.99
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Set 2 aka Stardust Crusaders - £18.99
  • One Piece: Stampede - £10.99
  • One Piece: Stampede (LE Steelbook) - £18.99
  • One Punch Man Season 1 - £18.99
  • Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - £28.99
  • Wise Man's Grandchild - £22.99
(Disclaimer: These Amazon links are affiliated, which will support me if you buy anything through the links provided.)

New additions to Manga Entertainment's Zavvi sale:
  • Mob Psycho 100 II - £22.99
  • Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid - £22.99
  • The Rising of the Shield Hero Season 1 Part 1 - £22.99
  • The Rising of the Shield Hero Season 1 Part 2 - £22.99
This is the final batch of offers. As a recap, discount codes will work on these titles which will help you save money from ordering these titles in one big order compared to getting them individually.

Meanwhile, Amazon have price-matched some:
  • Mob Psycho 100 II - £22.99
  • The Rising of the Shield Hero Season 1 Part 1 - £22.99

hmv have a 20% off blu-ray//uhd/dvd code, i think it's selected stuff as some stuff i searched for didn't have the badge on but there's a lot of anime included with some good and some terrible pricing
Just an FYI, this link has PG selected in the filter limiting what it's showing, you can removed that from the filtered results on the side for more stuff to show.

Back