UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

The cheapest I've seen The Secret of Mamo. £5.98 at Amazon.

I probably should have bought it when it came out to encourage Manga to pick up more Lupin, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend £14 on a single film.

They've always got free shipping these days, mainly because most of their prices are high. It's best to wait for 20% off unless you spot anything very rare or very cheap.

Find-DVD haven't messaged me about any anime price cuts for awhile. I need to re-add most stuff to my watchlist because it vanishes after 6 months, though... :/

I think it sort of works out every other code has free shipping with or without some kind of discount as well. The annoying ones are those that mean your order is automatically going to be over the duty limit, I don't buy on those.

PlayUSA have added some new box sets to their website for £17.99 and under. Some of the sets aren't even listed on DVD Pacific and the like yet.

Here we go...

Moeyo Ken (2 DVDs) - £14.99

Suzuka (4 DVDs) - £14.99

Now and Then, Here and There - £15.99

World of Narue - £15.99

Paradise Kiss - £16.99

Elemental Gelade - £17.99

Eureka Seven: Set 2 of 2 (6 DVDs) - £17.99
Note: The first set isn't on PlayUSA yet. If it was, I'd have ordered both sets.

Gungrave - £17.99

Murder Princess: £17.99

Rozen Maiden: Traumend (3 DVDs) - £17.99

Those Who Hunt Elves - £17.99

True Tears (2 DVDs) - £17.99

Also, in case any of you guys missed them, here are the two best PlayUSA deals ever:

Berserk: Remastered - £17.99

Wolf's Rain - £17.99

As I said above, a fair few of the titles are not yet on DVD Pacific. However, DVD Pacific usually price most sets at around $28 - which works out at around £18 - and they add £3-5 shipping on top. So, apart from in a few cases, PlayUSA will be cheaper when they sell box sets for under £18 because they offer free shipping. Even the Suzuka set works out at £16 if you order from DVD Pacific because they charge £5-6 for shipping.

If you don't own them already, do yourself a favour and pre-order Gungrave and NaTHaT. They're two of the few 10/10 series in existence, and for those prices you shouldn't say no, even if the packaging will suck ****.

I've ordered True Tears (not happy about the disc count but the series is VERY highly rated, and it's still fairly new), Paradise Kiss and Suzuka. A few others tempted me but, for one reason or another, I'm not going to order them.

PlayUSA are really random with their pricing, btw. They're selling the Gad Guard and Last Exile sets for £22.99, yet they're also selling the Elemental Gelade and Gungrave sets for £17.99. That makes no friggin' sense whatsoever.

Nice catch on Rozen Maiden Traumend, I'll add that to my backlog of orders now. I have almost everything else on the list that I'm ever going to buy.

I'd be interested to know what you make of Paradise Kiss (I love it).

R

Considering I have no interest in fashion and lack a female brain, I'll also be interested to discover what I think about it. I figured it was worth a shot when it's rated highly and only lasts for 12 episodes - at worse I should be able to push towards the end.

I've also ordered Narue after thinking about it. It seems to have a cult following and, despite its low rating on MAL, it's loved be some. Part of me has always wanted to see what bootleg sellers were trying to shift on eBay, so it's worth a look for £16.

Rozen Maiden did tempt me but I haven't read the manga and it isn't possible to get the first season without risking getting hit by customs. Until I know if I like the story or not, it ain't worth it.

Narue is terrible. I paid about 4 quid for the UK version and I felt thoroughly violated. It didn't help that it's dub only and that the dub is ****, but I doubt better voice acting would have made much of a difference.

I actually really liked Narue. You won't really miss anything much if you don't get it though; it was sort of harmlessly charming. Never seen MoO because it looked tedious.

ParaKiss was a lot weaker as an anime than as a manga in my opinion (the manga is one of my all time favourites and I read it before seeing the anime). It has some fun music and is a good trial to see if you might like the longer Nana when it comes out. Even if you hate it in the end it should be an entertaining review to read ;)

I absolutely hated Gungrave so you might want to reverse all of my opinions if that is a problem ;)

Those PlayUSA prices are, as you say, all over the map. The dollar has been creeping back to favourable levels recently so I'm hoping some of the other shops will start being competitive (in terms of customs) in the future again.

R

The reason I want to see the Paradise Kiss anime is because it's directed by Osamu Kobayashi -- him who did Beck and that infamous fourth episode of Gurren Lagann. I really love his style, even if it didn't quite work for GL and got the 2ch fanboys all riled up. But I would like to check out the manga at some point.

Calling Narue "terrible" might have been a bit harsh. I just found it so generic and bland and inoffensive, and to me that's the least interesting kind of anime. I actually derive more entertainment from really bad anime like Mad Bull.

The dialogue in MoO would be more fitting in a bad hentai, and there's a demon who rides a school bus that has bull legs and horns. I'm not sure how else to describe it. I'm going to try to keep going (at some point) because I own it - I paid £20 for it, so I might as well use it to get my MAL day count up some more.

It isn't worse than Doki Doki, though. Nothing can be more painful than watching that. I was quick to sell it to some dutch guy for close to £30.

Isn't Nana the shoujo series about two girlfriends (not lesbians!) living together and...uh, doing whatever two girls do alone together (not lesbianism!)? That strikes me as being more interesting than PK.

Back