UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

Now and Then, Here and There looks enticing, but I'll hold off to see what ADV do with it with regards to disc count.

I may go for the Region 4 collection instead, which'll be about £20 to import. If I can find any reviews of it. It says Remastered and Repackaged, but that could hide a multitude of sins.

Cheers for the Nana explanation, Rui.

Just Passing Through said:
I may go for the Region 4 collection instead, which'll be about £20 to import. If I can find any reviews of it. It says Remastered and Repackaged, but that could hide a multitude of sins.

If it's a Madman release, they're supposed to have improved the shimmering/dot crawl that ruined the R1 Scrapped Princess release. I recall some Aussie forum with a comparison of the two versions. So, if it says remastered and Madman released it, I'd believe it.

NaTHaT doesn't have what I consider to be poor video quality, though. There's a but of shimmering but it isn't very visible.

Aion said:
Cheers for the Nana explanation, Rui.

:p

Your summary of Nana was pretty spot on for the first half dozen volumes or so. After that the focus shifts more towards the music industry. There's an awful lot of drama, almost like a soap, only the characters are actually interesting and developed unlike most soaps so it's easier to care about them.

Despite the plots being different, it's actually pretty similar to ParaKiss. There are similar characters and the creator's love of art, fashion and music flow through both works in the background. I hate fashion, by the way, and I still like both series.

Nana is also incredibly depressing as it gets into later volumes for some reason. I don't know if the anime is the same as I've yet to see it (it presumably ends differently to the manga, like the movies did, before it all gets that dark). It's not up to NaTHaT levels of depressing of course but seeing decent characters take one knock after another every volume is starting to make me dread each new release; yet I can't stop reading.

R

Aion said:
Just Passing Through said:

If it's a Madman release, they're supposed to have improved the shimmering/dot crawl that ruined the R1 Scrapped Princess release. I recall some Aussie forum with a comparison of the two versions. So, if it says remastered and Madman released it, I'd believe it.

NaTHaT doesn't have what I consider to be poor video quality, though. There's a but of shimmering but it isn't very visible.

It's actually an Aussie anime release from a company other than Madman, a company called Gryphon. :?

iisan said:
Is this blue dragon series any good?
The trailers earlier didn't exactly leave a lasting impression on me.

I was gonna watch it subbed but got told it was shite.

Download a fansub for episode 1-3 or something and test it out.

iisan said:
Is this blue dragon series any good?
The trailers earlier didn't exactly leave a lasting impression on me.

It's your generic shounen show. Nothing life changing, but I spent a good time spotting the simmilarities to DB, even on character design ...

i have a question....

The Mini Neo magazines in HMV...are they free? i couldn't see a price on the front page.

(no i didn't nick a copy, i played it safe and thought i'd come back and ask you guys, wracking my brains for info didn't help...i thought i saw an update saying that the mini neo mags ARE free....but not entirely sure if its true or not.)

HELP!

I already have a fair few of those titles on PlayUSA. As I have been waiting for a reasonably priced Gungrave that was first on my order. Then True Tears sounded interesting so that went on, as did Hayate The Combat Butler and for some reason Suzuka for which the trailers seem to have been stuck in my head.

I should point out that the Hayate set only includes seven episodes. I had mistakenly thought it was a half-season set since it's being released sub-only, but for some reason Bandai don't want anybody to buy it.

Tachi- said:
i have a question....

The Mini Neo magazines in HMV...are they free? i couldn't see a price on the front page.

(no i didn't nick a copy, i played it safe and thought i'd come back and ask you guys, wracking my brains for info didn't help...i thought i saw an update saying that the mini neo mags ARE free....but not entirely sure if its true or not.)

HELP!

They are indeed free. I went up and asked the staff when I picked one up a while ago. Not the greatest literature ever published but there are worse things to read on a bus trip :)

R

Damn ,Berserk out of stock! I might just put an order down now for whenever they got more back in. What do people reckon? I've never used PlayUSA before.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Dizzae said:
I might just put an order down now for whenever they got more back in. What do people reckon? I've never used PlayUSA before.
They can take several weeks to restock DVDs, but they will get it to you.

Only on one or two occasions did they not get the item for me and that was basically because it was no longer available anywhere (damn Geneon and ADV crap the last couple of years). Although it can sometimes take a while which is annoying.

Back