UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

Charter_Mage said:
I always see Macross Plus in HMV, but i was never sure if i needed to have seen the other series of Macross to understand it
Nope! It's like the Gundam stories, you don't need to have seen the first to understand or enjoy the most recent!
I still have all my Macross videos and I can't say I've ever felt the need to replace them with DVDs, there's still to much "other" stuff I want instead!

Miaka-chan said:
Charter_Mage said:
I always see Macross Plus in HMV, but i was never sure if i needed to have seen the other series of Macross to understand it
Nope! It's like the Gundam stories, you don't need to have seen the first to understand or enjoy the most recent!
I still have all my Macross videos and I can't say I've ever felt the need to replace them with DVDs, there's still to much "other" stuff I want instead!

Thats a problem for me as wel there are quite a few older titles I would love to see but there are loads of new release coming out that I want to see even more.

Yes i know what both of you mean, Evangelion is an example of a series i want to watch amounst many, but there just so much new things i want

Charter_Mage said:

Well no but it would help to know the basic back story of Space War I and the alliance with the Zenthradi afterwards

www.bensonsworld.co.uk Also has some good deals sometimes.

They usually have some anime on preorder for only £13, afterwards it then usally bumps up to £15 which is still good though. I've picked up all the Eva Plat' from there so far.

I heard someone talk about www.blahdvd.co.uk (url maybe wrong) which had Rahxephon for pretty cheap, however I'm not sure what their service is like.

if you want to look at all the prices of a certain dvd go to www.kelkoo.co.uk/ this site will display all the sites, their prices and the postage cost for the desired dvd, its an easy way to find sites doing sales, or just generally selling cheap anime. A little warning though, you may get some other dvd titles coming up that you have no interest but as long as you don't mind trudging though that it's a great way to find cheaply priced anime

HMV's got a big sale on now and includes some anime. I got all 4 vol' s of
Serial Experiements Lain for £ 9.99 each. And also saw Ninja Scroll T.V
Series for £ 9.99 a volume. And also Macross Plus boxset at £7.99.
This was at the oxford street branch by the way.

the summer sale at play.com has started, they have some great bargains on anime at the moment
Ghost in the Shell - £7.99 a volume
Noir - £8.99 a volume
to name just a couple.

I picked up the first volume of Stratos 4 from MVC for £8. Not the best anime I have ever seen but it was only £8 so who cares!

the HMV sale seems to vary rather a lot in terms of what's on offer. the York branch has a few Manga Ent titles for £7.99, including Ninja Scroll 10th Anniversary, Akira, Kai Doh Maru, Macross Plus and GitS:SAC #2 (although not #1, strangely).

In the HMV nearest me they had Ninja Scroll, Dead Leaves, GITS, GITS SAC 1 and 2, Blood the last vampire and Vampire hunter D all in there 'summer sale'.

There was a huge sale in my local MVC which had tonnes of ADV and MVM anime titles in it for £5.99 and £6.99, I even saw some volumes of ZOE going for £3.99 each. Other titles I saw for £5.99 were Kiddy Grade, Vampire Princess, Burn Up Excess, Azumanga Diaoh, Salaryman Kintaro and quite a few other series. They also had Full Metal Panic volumes for £6.99.

Only thing is when I asked at the desk if they were closing down the guy said they were just getting rid of old stock, so I don't know if this sale will be in MVC but if you are lucky it might be.

I bought the Hellsing ADV boxset from HMV Sheffield for £19.99, it's usually £59.99. There was 2 of them so it might still be there if you're lucky.

Red XIII said:
In case anyone's interested, play.com are running an extremely limited Manga: 3 for £12 sale on Gollancz's recent release of Viz titles.
I remember that sale well... I picked up the entire Fruits Basket series for near enough £30. I was very happy, hehe. I would have gone for the Ah! and Oh! My Goddess DVDs as well, but I hadn't heard enough about them to justify whether I should get it or not. Damn me and my lack of informedness...

Back