UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

MVM deal of the week is X TV Series. Anyone know if it's any good?

Yes. The story's by CLAMP so if you've enjoyed their other work you should like X but it is a pretty dark show, darker than anything else they've done. If you've read/seen Tokyo Babylon you'll definitely enjoy the show more as X serves as a continuation to those character's story but it's not required viewing at all (I haven't read/seen it), it's more of a side thing to the main plotline. If you do pick it up, skip the first episode as if memory serves me correctly it's an OVA that spoils elements of the story.

Yes. The story's by CLAMP so if you've enjoyed their other work you should like X but it is a pretty dark show, darker than anything else they've done. If you've read/seen Tokyo Babylon you'll definitely enjoy the show more as X serves as a continuation to those character's story but it's not required viewing at all (I haven't read/seen it), it's more of a side thing to the main plotline. If you do pick it up, skip the first episode as if memory serves me correctly it's an OVA that spoils elements of the story.
I had to Google Clamp to see if I had watched anything by them, I have seen a couple of Shows by them that I did enjoy, so I will order that in a bit thanks.

X is amazing - definitely my favourite CLAMP manga and probably my favourite manga ever in general - it's super dark / violent, way more so than their other manga, and it's also probably the most detailed artistically too, especially when compared to what came later (Tsubasa etc.)

Most people seem to gloss over the TV series because of when it was released (the dark days of early digipaint), but I'd actually heartily recommend it, as it's much more faithful to the manga than the (admittedly better animated) Rintaro movie version.

I watched the movie just a few months ago and was impressed by it, so I should give the series a go. But on the other hand I could just buy the manga and experience it in its true form. *sigh* decisions...

Sad to see it on sale so soon, means it probably didn't sell too well. Considering how good it is, I'd definitely recommend it for that price, assuming you like your light comedy shows.

It's certainly worth getting to try the show out. That said, I do think Hidamari Sketch is worthy of being seen in higher quality, if possible, so the Blu-ray is a better option if you're already keen on the show or confident you'll enjoy it. The art and animation can be quite strong, and perhaps surprisingly so for people who might generally avoid similar kinds of shows. If you like watching shows for the "craft" of anime, Hidamari Sketch is probably worth seeing (though that's far from the only reason to watch the show).

It's a favourite show of mine, anyway. Great comedy, great characters, great art/animation and some nice thoughtful moments.

I'd like to know what are the chances of Love Hina being MVM's Deal of the Week? I want to get it since it disappeared from Viewster :(

I think it was a DOTW about two years ago - I definitely remember picking it up when it was one. Can't remember how often stuff re-occurs in DOTW instead of them picking stuff that's never been on there before.

I think it was a DOTW about two years ago - I definitely remember picking it up when it was one. Can't remember how often stuff re-occurs in DOTW instead of them picking stuff that's never been on there before.
Doing a search on Twitter shows Love Hina was DOTW twice before in Jan 2014 and March 2015. And a search on Facebook shows it was DOTW in Jan 2012. If its once a year its overdue, assuming anything can been DOTW 4 times.

Three anime are up for a lightning deal at amazon today

Akame ga kill part 2 DVD : 4:44pm for prime members
Parasyte The Maxim 2 BR : 4:44pm for prime members
Monthly Girls Collector's Edition : 4:44pm for prime members

Doing a search on Twitter shows Love Hina was DOTW twice before in Jan 2014 and March 2015. And a search on Facebook shows it was DOTW in Jan 2012. If its once a year its overdue, assuming anything can been DOTW 4 times.

Was also DOTW at the end of December in 2012

I actually have a full list of every DOTW ever and am going to publish it soon!
I need to run something past admins first before doing so though, but it's coming.
Pending approvals you'll get easy ways to see what has been DOTW and is due DOTW. ^_^

As for Love Hina all appearances are:
# 01 - 06 January 2012
# 02 - 21 December 2012
# 03 - 03 January 2014
# 04 - 20 March 2015

How likely is a reappearance anytime soon?
The DOTW of 21 October 2016 was X / 1999, its last appearances were:
# 01 - 15 April 2011
# 02 - 22 December 2011
# 03 - 09 November 2012
# 04 - 01 November 2013
# 05 - 06 February 2015
# 06 - 21 October 2016

And they do more or less run down the list of DOTW chronologically, but enter new ones inbetween.
Unless MVM are about to lose their license for Love Hina chances are it'll reappear by Valentine's Day 2017.

I actually have a full list of every DOTW ever and am going to publish it soon!
I need to run something past admins first before doing so though, but it's coming.
Pending approvals you'll get easy ways to see what has been DOTW and is due DOTW. ^_^

As for Love Hina all appearances are:
# 01 - 06 January 2012
# 02 - 21 December 2012
# 03 - 03 January 2014
# 04 - 20 March 2015

How likely is a reappearance anytime soon?
The DOTW of 21 October 2016 was X / 1999, its last appearances were:
# 01 - 15 April 2011
# 02 - 22 December 2011
# 03 - 09 November 2012
# 04 - 01 November 2013
# 05 - 06 February 2015
# 06 - 21 October 2016

And they do more or less run down the list of DOTW chronologically, but enter new ones inbetween.
Unless MVM are about to lose their license for Love Hina chances are it'll reappear by Valentine's Day 2017.

Thanks for the info. Seems like it's probably worth waiting because it's likely to come round again :) (unless I come across a deal somewhere else, £9.99 would be hard to beat).

Out of interest, two I'm curious about are Berserk and Trigun - have they ever been DOTW? Off the top of my head, I can never remember seeing them - at least in the past couple of years anyway.

Back