UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

By turning your best friend into a spaceship?

Avast, ye Matey! So yeah, I expounded a bit in my previous post with some High Seas imagery, Aaarg... ;)

I designed the coversheet with what little artwork I could find online for the live-action series, but I suppose it turned out ok in spite of my extremely basic graphical skills, lol.

Last edited:
You're all making it sound so tempting ... but I've just got home from a "charity shop" holiday down on the coast and I now have a new teetering pile of stuff to watch (including Hal for £2, in a shop which also had Garden of Worlds, Your Name and a bunch of interesting manga which I almost bought), not to mention the books, CDs and other knick-knacks.

I'm sure I'll crack sometime over the weekend and "consider" purchasing Moribito.

This is odd. Noticed AllYourMusic on eBay have discounted the season 1 & 2 collection of Urusei Yatsura to a ridiculously low £47.56 (and then there's the 25% discount to add to that). Looking at the back cover I note it claims it has all 23 episodes and runs for 525 minutes. My copy of Season 1 (and season 2) each have 52 episodes and run for 1,350 minutes.

This is odd. Noticed AllYourMusic on eBay have discounted the season 1 & 2 collection of Urusei Yatsura to a ridiculously low £47.56 (and then there's the 25% discount to add to that). Looking at the back cover I note it claims it has all 23 episodes and runs for 525 minutes. My copy of Season 1 (and season 2) each have 52 episodes and run for 1,350 minutes.
Yeh, need add another titel to get the 25% extra off

Tempted, but then if i buy it, anime limited will go and release it later🤣

Ah, I've investigated and this isn't the Discotek version,. This is the remake of the series which has been put out by Sentai. It just looks very similar to the Discotek packaging. Why do they need four blu-rays for 23 episodes though?

My local HMV has marked about 30 blu ray titles down by 40% - but at the time of writing, the listings aren't on their website.

I just bought Lupin 3rd Part IV subtitled for £21, Pompo the Cinephile for £9, Perfect blue for £6.60, and Millennium Actress for £9.60.

Worth keeping an eye on their website, and worth popping into your local branch if you have one.

My local HMV has marked about 30 blu ray titles down by 40% - but at the time of writing, the listings aren't on their website.

I just bought Lupin 3rd Part IV subtitled for £21, Pompo the Cinephile for £9, Perfect blue for £6.60, and Millennium Actress for £9.60.

Worth keeping an eye on their website, and worth popping into your local branch if you have one.

Looks like the deal is slowly coming online on their website now - Perfect Blue is marked as 40% off, looks like the online code will be "ANI40".

Looks like the deal is slowly coming online on their website now - Perfect Blue is marked as 40% off, looks like the online code will be "ANI40".
Aah nice one, good spot.

Side grumble, and please forgive me for going slightly off-topic just this one time: I find it maddening that brick-and-mortar shops are increasingly not asking "would you like a paper receipt or an email receipt", but instead just turn their screen around to you and say "Put your email address in here for a receipt", without telling you that a paper receipt is still an option. It's only a small thing, but it's frustrating that every single interaction in life is somehow slowly turning into a data harvesting scam.

Aah nice one, good spot.

Side grumble, and please forgive me for going slightly off-topic just this one time: I find it maddening that brick-and-mortar shops are increasingly not asking "would you like a paper receipt or an email receipt", but instead just turn their screen around to you and say "Put your email address in here for a receipt", without telling you that a paper receipt is still an option. It's only a small thing, but it's frustrating that every single interaction in life is somehow slowly turning into a data harvesting scam.

Data is king unfortunately. The supermarkets have done the same thing by where their "offers" are locked behind their loyalty schemes now - which you have to hand over your name, address, and shopping habits to big business to access.

Too late to put the toothpaste back in the bottle now.

Aah nice one, good spot.

I just say paper will be fine.
Started to say it before that stage and one staff member said thanks, that makes it easier.
Mind you, I don't know why I bother as they've got my email through my occasional website purchases. Which I try not to do as it doesn't help the shop turnover.

Not one for me, but one for someone maybe: Tenchi Muyo OVA Collection

Been meaning to start collecting Tenchi Muyo, might as well finally make a start!

EDIT: Been doing some research and it seems that the CE includes extras not included in the standard release but are still available on some other old DVD releases (they're DVD format in the CE as well).

EDIT 2: Decided to cancel and go for the CE sometime as it'll be cheaper / around the same price in the long run otherwise I'd just be buying the OVA collection twice, that being the blu-ray for the picture quality and the DVD for the specials.

Last edited:
Back