UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

I've only got 4.
2 G-Taste and one called Cleavage, surprisingly enough.
I won't offer to loan it to you. 😇

I have lent out books before and got them back w torn covers... I get why you don't want sticky DVDs/Blu-rays returned to you 😅

Also at times like this I really wish I could find the "Wow. Boobs." joke from Andy Richter Controls the Universe in some format or another (meme pic, short clip... always cracks me up regardless) XP

I've only got 4.
2 G-Taste and one called Cleavage, surprisingly enough.
I won't offer to loan it to you. 😇

Ha, yeah the one called Cleavage probably wouldn't be of too much interest to me, what with my preferences in boobie sizes... 😅

That image of my latest waifu from Tales of Wedding Rings I posted over in the Your Viewing Journal thread is now the wallpaper on my computer, and my mother even approved of her when she saw it, lol.

I bought a couple of things from the Zavvi sale - the Shirobako movie, and Poupelle of Chimney Town. I've given up on that one ever getting an official UK release.

Zavvi are having a 30% off sale on some of their US imports and have the Shirobako movie for £17.99 (£12.59 w/code) +p&p

Thanks for the tip, perfect timing as I finished Shirobako early hours of this morning (and have no idea if we will ever get a UK release)!

Thanks for the tip, perfect timing as I finished Shirobako early hours of this morning (and have no idea if we will ever get a UK release)!
It's available for streaming on Crunchyroll via vpn holiday to the US.

I'd also say there is a good chance of AL releasing it here if GKids/Shout Factory have the master English rights and not just NA considering their relationship.

Last edited:
I got it a couple of years ago, and for once I was glad it came with the DVD, given that the BD is locked to Region A (incidentally why are Zavvi selling a Region A disc to the UK?). If AL do release a localised version, I‘d snaffle it up in a heartbeat.

I just wish Zavvi would put as much effort into deliveries, as they do in emails about deliveries. Ordered ONE disc on the 19th, dispatched on the 22nd. Three emails yesterday (it's coming, it's coming, it's been delayed) and two today (it might arrive between 8 and 9 tonight unless they delay it again). I'm most curious as to what happened in the five days between its dispatch and the courier getting it.

It seems Zavvi have now split from The Hut Group and have reopened international shipping to some countries including the US and the Netherlands for preorder items.

Hopefully they will expand international shipping again in the future.

lol i do recall some discussion about this being a thing little while ago but action has been Taken now ? but just what dos the Hut group have then ? i guess zavvi relised that no one relly wants there Tat outside of Disc Media ...

lol i do recall some discussion about this being a thing little while ago but action has been Taken now ? but just what dos the Hut group have then ? i guess zavvi relised that no one relly wants there Tat outside of Disc Media ...
Can’t say I see any difference in the products or categories on the Zavvi site. If I hadn’t known to look, I wouldn’t have noticed it now states ‘Zavvi group’ instead of ‘the hut group’.
Perhaps I should just be optimistic that they’re free to improve?

I see All the Anime just released Gundam build fighters and I'm just wondering how their product would differ from the release that I saw on rightstuf in the past. All the Anime promotes this as something new when from my vantage it really isn't.

I see All the Anime just released Gundam build fighters and I'm just wondering how their product would differ from the release that I saw on rightstuf in the past. All the Anime promotes this as something new when from my vantage it really isn't.
It's a new product from AL for the UK market. Not sure if it's sold out yet but they also did a collector's edition, The standard edition is what they've promoted today. If you're in the US it's probably cheaper to get the domestic release from Nozomi unless you want the collector's edition (which is pretty expensive with it being split across 2 parts for a 25 episode series) but if you're in the UK it might be cheaper to get the standard edition now that they've listed it or wait for it to inevitably be included in one of the B1G1F sales during easter, christmas etc.

It's a new product from AL for the UK market. Not sure if it's sold out yet but they also did a collector's edition, The standard edition is what they've promoted today. If you're in the US it's probably cheaper to get the domestic release from Nozomi unless you want the collector's edition (which is pretty expensive with it being split across 2 parts for a 25 episode series) but if you're in the UK it might be cheaper to get the standard edition now that they've listed it or wait for it to inevitably be included in one of the B1G1F sales during easter, christmas etc.
I always wonder if there's just enough of a difference between what is sold in the US and what is sold in the UK to make one more worthy over the other. I get that there are differences in the release dates. Sometimes the differences are just known by a handful unless they're really promoting something LOL. Then they blasted out for everyone to see

I always wonder if there's just enough of a difference between what is sold in the US and what is sold in the UK to make one more worthy over the other. I get that there are differences in the release dates. Sometimes the differences are just known by a handful unless they're really promoting something LOL. Then they blasted out for everyone to see
Most of the releases in the UK are sublicensed from the US, so should be clones (or close enough) of the US release

Most of the time the differences would be:

UK Sets:
  • Missing on disk bonus features
  • Slightly cheaper but still great CE boxes
  • Slightly worse video quality
  • Simply doesn't get a release 😹

US Sets:
- Anime Limited might do a CE release that wasnt released in the US

For Gundam, on disk should be clones of the US set as this is a Sunrise release distributed by Nozomi and Anime Limited. Main difference as mentioned above, we got a Collectors Edition while US got standard only

(Though ANN lists this as Licensed by Rightstuf and Sunrise, so maybe something special about this series? So there might be on disk differences but as its 4am I'm not going to look 😹)

Last edited:
Most of the UK Gundam BDs are clones of US BD, with the exception of:
  • Gundam Build Fighters
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Movie Trilogy
  • Gundam NT
  • Zeta Gundam
  • ZZ Gundam
  • Gundam The Origin I - IV
  • Gundam The Origin V - VI

Of these, only Build Fighters, Movie Trilogy and The Origin I - IV offer advantages over the US release (Build Fighters and Origin I-IV for better encodes, Movie Trilogy for original Mono track). The upcoming release of Build Fighters Try should also have better encodes.

Back