UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

Completely with you on full sets, aesthetically more pleasing and more compact for space (though good luck trying to keep the collection small!). Problem is when there is no telling if a full set will be ever be released, especially monogatari (season 3 set ever!?), that you just have to get the parts if you really want a series. I very happily took my monogatari season 2 parts back to cex when the boxset was released. I also hate it when distributers release series in multiple parts, especially multiple parts for just 1 season; don't really need to follow cour patterns for that, do they?

Yeah I'm kind of sad about the lack of Monogatari 3rd season stuff because I really like the show, but when I set out to buy some sets I had a few conditions I was trying to follow for myself:
  • I would only buy seasons I really liked.
  • I wanted to only buy from UK distributors rather than abroad (MVM, AL, Some Amazon especially if not on MVM or AL).
  • Bluray only - although standard editions are fine don't need CE or LE necessarily.
  • Full seasons only if possible, although that one I could be a bit more flexible on.
Most of my media lives digitally, so I'll probably not play the seasons I get directly, but I want to support UK anime releases and the seasons I enjoy, more or less.

This does mean that if Monogatari 3rd season doesn't make it to the UK I would probably not get it. It's released in the US, at least the parts are, but MVM stopped at Owari part 2, and part 3 isn't appearing anytime soon from what I can gather due to Aniplex.

Why make more concise complete collections when capitalism exists and you can make more money through multiple sets amirite?

Yeah it's a bit of a shame, but seems true. I also wanted Rise of the Shield Hero but that is 2 parts as well. Seems that shows with 24 episodes in a season from certain suppliers are being sold in parts.

Kind of wish I was good at woodworking or something so I could make my own cases for the parts, then it would be fine :cool:

Why make more concise complete collections when capitalism exists and you can make more money through multiple sets amirite?
Indeed. The capitalists can still have the same money as their two parts if they can just give the discs in a more compact single case when feasible!
when I set out to buy some sets I had a few conditions I was trying to follow for myself:
Very principled, I wouldn't be able to muster up that level of resolve! I was planning the same way of only getting monogatari that I really wanted but couldn't resist getting all in the end including imports of koi & zokuowarimonogatari; just haven't been able to get the second part of owari yet heh but I digress.
Kind of wish I was good at woodworking or something so I could make my own cases for the parts, then it would be fine :cool:
That would be perfect! If you ever get into that and the artwork for them I'll sign up to buy some for my stupid multipart collections heh.

Mainly just for consistency, full season sets are just more pleasing really. I could lower standards a bit and accept parts, but there aren't too many series I want with the problem, I figure if I just wait eventually I'll get a season set.

My collection is quite small, especially compared to a lot of people here, but I don't want it to become massive either really for space reasons.

This is the collection so far, with RE:Zero S1, KLK Boxset, GL and Fate UBW sets coming sometime in the future. Along with the Overlord seasons.

LA8MYygh.jpg
Ah, I gotcha.
I might be misunderstanding but you were asking about the Slime series. Space wise I wouldn't say it's wider than the Monogatari box set and does let you contain part 1 within the box too. Were you wondering initially if it didn't let you do that?

Indeed. The capitalists can still have the same money as their two parts if they can just give the discs in a more compact single case when feasible!

Very principled, I wouldn't be able to muster up that level of resolve! I was planning the same way of only getting monogatari that I really wanted but couldn't resist getting all in the end including imports of koi & zokuowarimonogatari; just haven't been able to get the second part of owari yet heh but I digress.

That would be perfect! If you ever get into that and the artwork for them I'll sign up to buy some for my stupid multipart collections heh.

I'd love to but sadly my woodworking skill is at 0 and I have no tools! :D

More likely to achieve such a goal with 3d printing really, but I don't even have one of those. Lower barrier to entry though as the printer does the work.

I think wooden cases could look smart though, and if anyone were good at it, could be a small lucrative thing.

P.S. props for Monogatari I love the show, even with all of it's weird fanservice at times, it's just written so well and the VA's are amazing. The Kizu films were insane and really got me psyched to watch the rest of it after Bake.

Ah, I gotcha.
I might be misunderstanding but you were asking about the Slime series. Space wise I wouldn't say it's wider than the Monogatari box set and does let you contain part 1 within the box too. Were you wondering initially if it didn't let you do that?

I'd love the box but right now I think it involves importing it, which goes against my 2nd principal of purchasing the shows. I'd be happy with a single larger box like I have with my copy of Bake or Fate/Zero, not everything needs a cardboard outer casing.

If they released it with a box for both parts here, or with a single bigger case, I'd be fine with getting that.

I think wooden cases could look smart though, and if anyone were good at it, could be a small lucrative thing
You're on to something with that I think. They'd probably look better and be more durable than steelbooks. And you'd have the added advantage of making your own heavy duty book/disc shelves to take the extra weight as a required purchase to go with them!

I'd love the box but right now I think it involves importing it, which goes against my 2nd principal of purchasing the shows. I'd be happy with a single larger box like I have with my copy of Bake or Fate/Zero, not everything needs a cardboard outer casing.

If they released it with a box for both parts here, or with a single bigger case, I'd be fine with getting that.
Fair enough. If you don't wish to import, it's not worth doing so. I didn't import stuff till recently after years of collecting anime, and if it doesn't hit all those boxes to make you want it desperately then there is little need to do so if you don't wish to,

Fair enough. If you don't wish to import, it's not worth doing so. I didn't import stuff till recently after years of collecting anime, and if it doesn't hit all those boxes to make you want it desperately then there is little need to do so if you don't wish to,

Yeah I guess my goal is to help support them bringing stuff to the UK, and also to support some of the shows I really like.

If those two goals align then I am happy, but I have a bit of OCD at times, and parts in my collections instead of seasons may tip me over the edge! :eek:

Here you go a 3D artbox, not remotley ready, measured, or of any actualy usability (I be lazy), and yes I realise you were more looking for smile as an art box but overlord art work has more alpha definition too it and make it more arty.
world laziest 3D art box for overlord.jpg

My collection of stuff would probably bug some people's OCD, 2 disc with 2 part get merged into a elite/viva 4 disc case with only one art work showing (but saves space)

Last edited:
Here you go a 3D artbox, not remotley ready, measured, or of any actualy usability (I be lazy), and yes I realise you were more looking for smile as an art box but overlord art work has more alpha definition too it and make it more arty.

My collection of stuff would probably bug some people's OCD, 2 disc with 2 part get merged into a elite/viva 4 disc case with only one art work showing (but saves space)

Yes something like that indeed, could be a cool little project.

Shame I don't have a 3D printer, and the other angle I suppose would be that once you did one, if it was good you'd want to do them all.

The PLA plastic material isn't really cheap, so you'd have to work out how much something like that would cost, and make the plastic thinner where you could get away with it to save on costs a bit.

Just on a side note MVM often have a 20% off sale in January (but no garuntee) so may want to take that into account before buying, but zavvi may still be cheaper anyway so just have a think.
I did some quick comparisons and it's currently a lot cheaper to grab the Manga titles on this Zavvi sale. For instance Dragon Maid, Mob Psycho 100 etc are £18 compared to MVM's £26 when the 20% off sale occurs (UP1 for comparison is usually £23).

HMV also still have 40% off certain Manga Entertainment titles though the selection looks more DVD orientated. Noticed that they have One Piece Collections 21-23 as part of their offer whilst Zavvi do not.

I ordered a couple of things from Zavvi. I haven't bought anything from them for ages, but considering my previous experiences with them, I'll expect my order to arrive sometime in June 😅

Back