Top 10 worst anime of all time!!!

ayase said:
Lupin III: Return of the Magician / Pycal - Awful. Just awful. The Lupin films and specials are always a mixed bag but this, with it's pointless convoluted plot seemingly contrived to show off crappy CGI, has to be the worst by a wide margin.
As much as I adore the entire the Lupin III franchise I have to agree that this is one of the few exceptions where they really, really missed. The first few minutes were promising, with a seemingly insane Zenigata intensely hunting Lupin down but after that you're bombarded with a mess of ****** CGI and a boring story. It's an extra blow because it was made to celebrate the series and brought back one of the best Lupin villains but to little effect. More than a let down.

People who don't love Ghost in the Shell and Akira deserve pity and should be entered into rehabilitation programmes as a matter of urgency. There is still hope!

Actually, I deserve some pity for ostensibly being the only person here who's endured such horrors as Vampire Wars and Sword For Truth.

ayase said:
Lupin III: Return of the Magician / Pycal - Awful. Just awful. The Lupin films and specials are always a mixed bag but this, with it's pointless convoluted plot seemingly contrived to show off crappy CGI, has to be the worst by a wide margin.
Though I love the theatrical films and Fuma Conspiracty, most of the Lupin TV specials I've seen are very poor. If this is the worst by a "wide margin", its badness must be legendary. I almost want to watch it now, just for the trainwreck value.

fabricatedlunatic said:
ayase said:
Though I love the theatrical films and Fuma Conspiracty, most of the Lupin TV specials I've seen are very poor. If this is the worst by a "wide margin", its badness must be legendary. I almost want to watch it now, just for the trainwreck value.
I thought First Contact (not to be confused with the Star Trek film, but that was good too) was one of the best Lupins I've seen, and that was a TV special. Aside from that I have trouble remembering which I've watched and what I thought of them. I need to rewatch a lot and get them on MAL.

What I find fascinating is that out of a 40 year franchise like Lupin III three of what i would consider the worst Lupin installments have been released here in the UK (Gold Babylon, Twilight Gemini and Harimo's Treasure). All they need to do is release Pycal and we'll have the worst the franchise has to offer.

We need more Crisis in Tokyo, Dead or Alive, Green vs Red, Island of Assassins, a TV series, some of the more recent specials and a re-release of Goodbye Lady Liberty on DVD! Cmon UK, Lupin deserves better!

I haven't seen First Contact - just the ones that Funimation have released, and they, like me, seem to have given up on the franchise altogether. I do like Island of Assassins/Walther P-38, though, which is radically different in tone to, well, everthing else.

Akira and Ghost in the Shell are both good films but the amount of attention they get is not proportionate to their quality. Especially when you consider how little attention superior works like Wings of Hommeanise and Jin-Roh get.

Ark said:
Akira and Ghost in the Shell are both good films but the amount of attention they get is not proportionate to their quality. Especially when you consider how little attention superior works like Wings of Hommeanise and Jin-Roh get.
I put Jin-Roh on the same level as GitS: overrated. Quite frankly, I don't see how Jin-Roh deserves the praise it gets.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I haven't seen First Contact - just the ones that Funimation have released, and they, like me, seem to have given up on the franchise altogether. I do like Island of Assassins/Walther P-38, though, which is radically different in tone to, well, everthing else.
Well like I said, the problem is they just seem to release randomly. 'Oh yeah let's license a bunch of movies and it'll be fine, it's all Lupin right.' I think they failed to see that with different eras came different styles and different directors creating different interpretations of the characters. There's a difference. They needed to be more selective and not ever let Twilight Gemini see a release outside of Japan.

I guess I'm more forgiving of the franchise than most. I thrive on the charm of the characters and locations while excepting that the stories largely set up for the action and comedy. I'm fine with that because it keeps me entertained and it usually works best that way. When they screw with the characters like Zenigata in Voyage to Danger (turning him into a blubbering, incompetent idiot) I object though.

According to my MAL ratings with some on-the-spot judgments:

Planetes=10 Points
Cowboy Bebop=9 Points
Elemental Gelade=8 Points
Ikkitousen=7 Points
Azumanga Daioh=6 Points
Saber Marionette R=5 Points
Saber Marionette J to X=4 Points
Megaman NT Warrior (Rockman.EXE)=3 Points
Innocent Venus=2 Points
Dragon Drive=1 Points

I am assuming higher points = worst. This is only including stuff I have seen all of/a reasonable bit of (not stuff I dropped early on).

Maxon said:
Ark said:
I put Jin-Roh on the same level as GitS: overrated. Quite frankly, I don't see how Jin-Roh deserves the praise it gets.

Weird you should say that, since I'd heard almost nothing about Jin-Roh until I picked up on a whim from HMV. It's almost impossible to be an anime fan without hearing something about Ghost in the Shell. Ghost in the Shell may be slightly overrated, but I'd argue Jin-Roh is underrated since it's either unheard of, or dismissed as boring and grim.

Wildcard said:
Maxon said:
Ark said:

Weird you should say that, since I'd heard almost nothing about Jin-Roh until I picked up on a whim from HMV. It's almost impossible to be an anime fan without hearing something about Ghost in the Shell. Ghost in the Shell may be slightly overrated, but I'd argue Jin-Roh is underrated since it's either unheard of, or dismissed as boring and grim.

I agree. I'd never heard of Jin-Roh before I heard it reviewed on a podcast. Also, it has a far more interesting plot and far more feeling than GitS.

Ark said:
Wildcard said:
Maxon said:
Ark said:

I agree. I'd never heard of Jin-Roh before I heard it reviewed on a podcast. Also, it has a far more interesting plot and far more feeling than GitS.
That is true, but Jin-Roh just didn't particularly grab me. *shrugs*

megagold5 said:
Planetes=10 Points
Cowboy Bebop=9 Points
o_O

Wings of Honneamise > Akira > Ghost in the Shell > Jin-Roh

A rewatch of Jin-Roh might be in order. The Anime Encyclopedia call it a "skillfully animated but aimless film" and that's more or less how I remember it. Not bad but didn't leave much of an impression.

Maxon said:
That is true, but Jin-Roh just didn't particularly grab me. *shrugs*

I had the same reaction when I first watched it. Then about a year later I listened to the Destroyallpodcasts review of it and they did a really good job of outlining all the philosophical aspects that I didn't pick up on. So I decided to check it out again with this new perspective in mind which gave it an extra layer of depth.

fabricatedlunatic said:
A rewatch of Jin-Roh might be in order. The Anime Encyclopedia call it a "skillfully animated but aimless film" and that's more or less how I remember it. Not bad but didn't leave much of an impression.

The Anime Encyclopedia also describes RahXephon as "clever" and doesn't even bother to justify this ridiculous description. The main criticism of Jin-Roh it has is that the details of the plot such as the motivation of the Sect and the Wolf Brigade aren't explained well enough. I think all this demonstrates is that the authors of the AE have no imagination or historical knowledge. You can make pretty good educated guesses about the answers to these questions and I don't think explaining everything in the film would have added much to the story when ultimately it's just about the protagonist's motivations not politics.

the latest standings as they are! And can I just say that this is the most interesting top 10 i have ever done here?

1:Ikki Tousen=23 Points
2:Sailor Moon=18 Points
3:Ghost In The Shell=15 Points
4:Love Hina=12 Points
5:pokemon=11 Points
6:Adventures with Iczer III-10 Points
7:Dragonball Z=10 Points
8:Girls Bravo=10 Points
9:Kiba=10 Points
10:planetes=10 Points

Keep voting your choices can make the difference!

Back