The retro gaming thread

evangelion rocks

Vampire Ninja
Got the idea from Blackwolf after reading through the forums.Basically it's where all fans of retro gaming (anything before ps2 really)can share their warm and perhaps traumatic memorios of their favorite retro games!

Evangelion Rocks said:
Got the idea from Blackwolf

You're welcome :p but have you been reading my mind again or something :lol:

Ah i have fond memories of the 16 bit and 32 bit eras :) And some early memories of the 8 bit era :p though i was still playing some games on the NES up until the days of the Saturn and Playstation lol Still say there's a lot of games from the old days that beat this generations.

BlackWolf said:
Evangelion Rocks said:
Got the idea from Blackwolf

You're welcome :p but have you been reading my mind again or something :lol:

Ah i have fond memories of the 16 bit and 32 bit eras :) And some early memories of the 8 bit era :p though i was still playing some games on the NES up until the days of the Saturn and Playstation lol Still say there's a lot of games from the old days that beat this generations.
Alas, my telepathic skills are not so strong(level 3:can read minds of small mammals and garden vegetables),I read it in the what are you doing now thread.I still play my retro consoles and games frequently because there are some fantastic games on them like silent bomber,Tech romancer,streets of rage,megaman 1 etc...

too true :p i still go on my playstation frequently (stating the Legacy of Kain series again ^_^) The Sega Saturn though was my favourite of the retro consoles with the Mega Drive coming in on second. I used to play Guardian Heroes almost every day :p

SNES:

Terranigma on the SNES is still kept in mint conditon. Last time I checked the price for it was about £50 but that was years ago. Could of gone a bit since.

Secret of Mana I liked more than Zelda
Metroid was ace.
Smash TV was a laugh
Pilot Wing
Mario Kart to me is still the undisputed King
Golden Eye and Perfect Dark

Dreamcast
This console should not of died at such a young age

Shenmue 1 & 2. I was so immersed with that game.
Grandia 2
Bangai-o
Metropolitan Street Racer

there many games I've bought but mind is tired.

misc:

Road Rash - was a game an half on the 3DO.

Magic Carpet, Turrican 1 & 2, Chaos Engine.

Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Street Fighter Turbo, Sonic (Star Hill)

The magic still burns strong with these games and for the others I shamelessy left out.

I am currently playing Diablo 2, saw the trailers for Diablo 3 and just had to reinstall this classic game also bought the expansion pack and both of them are keeping me busy

My fondest retro memories are of my ZX Spectrum +2 and Amiga 600. Ah, listening to that noise as you loaded the tapes on the Speccy. Those were the days.

Sadly it died a few years ago and I've never been able to fix it. That, and all the tapes went damp in a garage. The Amiga however chugs on (and chugging is an accurate term for the noise it now makes) and I can still play original Syndicate if I want. I have the original Monkey Island and Beneath A Steel Sky on PC now, but back in the day the Amiga versions were superior. If only Commodore had survived, the world of computing might have been a very different place...

intresting question there but i'm not sure how much would be different seeing that the consoles dominated despite a lot of companies starting out on the home computers like the commodore and the speccy like Rare.

My brother had an amiga, don't know what happened to it now, i used to love playing the various demos and games he had for it, that's how i first played Mortal Kombat 2 :p

lol :lol: when you put it like that i think Microsoft will eventually make it so you can operate your PC on the Xbox or in fact they will both be the same thing and then maybe the cycle will repeat itself with shiner graphics :p though with apps you can made the DS a pda (same with PSP) i'm starting to think my friend may of been on the money with a device that had everything in it (game, mobile phone, watch, pc you name it)

Shenmue! That game was awesome! I remember going into the arcade and playing on that motorbike game! >_<

Smash tv was funny. It made no sense whatsoever and that guy with the cigar who used to shout at you - He had loads of cheerleaders around him? lol?

Super smash bros. (of course!). Many hours, days, even weeks spent on co-op with my friends ;D.

F Zero as well, awesome. So much fun and amazement to be had! ;d

I'm inclined to grumble at 32-bit games being called 'retro', but I suppose that just shows my age.

I'm always on the lookout for new ways to play old games, especially to catch up with some of the best SNES titles I missed (I grew up in the SEGA family, but used to play a lot of Nintendo stuff round my friends'). I recently fell in love with the idea of getting a Wii to play virtual console titles, but stopped when I shortly realised that getting a new games console solely to play old computer games is beyond stupid. However, I am quite interested in getting some kind of flash-card to play ROMs (and apparently, a few PC games like Monkey Island, Doom and Quake) on my DS. Anyone have any recommendations? With a DS card full of NES / SNES Mario / Donkey Kong Country and MD Sonic the Hedgehog (and dare I wish for Sonic CD and Knuckles Chaotix?), I'd be one happy, questionably legal bunny rabbit.

I remember when I got my N64,one of the first games I got was castlevania,which was probably the hardest game I had at the time.Time for someone to mention an obscure game........anyone have any ideas?^_^

evangelion rocks said:
I remember when I got my N64,one of the first games I got was castlevania,which was probably the hardest game I had at the time.Time for someone to mention an obscure game........anyone have any ideas?^_^

Alex the Kid.

DOO-DOO-DUH-DOO, DOO-DOO DUH-DOO

etc :p

evangelion rocks said:

How about Manic Mansion? :p The underated game which is always overshadowed by Lucasarts other similar games (i'll leave you to guess which ones and no there not star wars games)

Ah, Maniac Mansion! Bring back the point and click adventure! Back when Lucasarts produced something other than endless Star Wars games. Don't forget Grim Fandango. Everything about that game was fantastic. The Art Deco scenery, Film Noir story, the fact that you played a Mexican Grim Reaper...

Did anyone play Super Fantasy Zone? That game was a tripfest. Admittedly I loathed the game, along with Theme Park on my MegaDrive. I didn't really like the muscular guys in them side-scrolling/platforming shoot 'em ups, either. I recall one that starts in space and the man lands on this piece of metal and from then on you just kill these other things. And, another being a game about some guy with that had angelic wings and was pretty much one of them games where you shoot as you fly. Its apparently called Gynoug.

A few I remember:
  • - Terminator 2: Judgement Day - This is probably the most fun I've ever had on a FPS.
    - California Games, or something. There was surfing and skating. [This cartridge got ******]
    - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - LEGO Indiana is good and all, but the whip of this game was just as awesome.
    - Taz in Escape from Mars - Hah, I think this was the last ever game I got for it. Fast-paced and fun.
God, I could go on for ages. There also was this game about this chick and it was like.. fantasy, you could change the dragon/creature that went with her. Immense. I must find the box of games I had! Keep this thread alive, I'll get a picture soon! ;p yay

Kurogane said:
Alex the Kid.
Oh, how it would be awesome to have built in games again. Alec (as I called him) playing Rock, Paper, Scissors was a regular evenings entertainment.

[Note: I went on a rant, m'sorry]

Jayme said:
God, I could go on for ages. There also was this game about this chick and it was like.. fantasy, you could change the dragon/creature that went with her. Immense. I must find the box of games I had! Keep this thread alive, I'll get a picture soon! ;p yay

I had that game as well :eek: Allisia Dragoon, i could never get that far on it though :( My most played Mega Drive games (baring the Sonic the Hedgehog series) was Splatter House 2 (now getting a 3D remake) and Speedball 2, now that is a sport 8)

Back