The "Recommend Me A New Anime/Manga" Thread

I don't see your problem anyway, ayase, Gall Force and Strike Witches are essentially the same thing. :p One is just the natural evolution of the other... although I'm not sure which way around I should mean that.

If I really wanted to destroy what little faith ayase has left in humankind, I'd mention that I preferred Strike Witches to Dirty Pair. But I wouldn't do that to the poor lad.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I preferred Strike Witches to Dirty Pair.

luke_NOOOOOO.jpg

In the interests of solidarity, I'd add that, while I haven't seen any of the proper ones, I did enjoy Ten Little Gal Force.

teonzo said:
Any comments on the Area 88 series? How does it compare to the OVA?

Completely failed to spot this question.

While I've never yet seen the OAV either, I'd say the series doesn't have the emotional depth of the manga. It's perfectly watchable though; the combat is well handled and it clips along at a fair pace.

On the downside, it feels very much as if the producers were hoping for a second series to advance the plot and, as a result, the series ends quite abruptly. The music choice seems a bit gimmicky too - evidently they wanted it to be Initial D with planes...

Huh. Prof clearly had some faith in humanity left. I however came to terms with the fact that a surprising number of anime fans clearly have a latent sexual attraction to aircraft long ago. Personally I don't know how anyone can watch
Genkina Hito said:
war, ecchi and moe through the anthropomorphisation of various World War II aircraft in the form of young women with magical powers and short shorts.
with a straight face for any longer than two seconds (and he forgot to mention the animal ears and tails) but there ya go.

@Rui - I guess I can understand not finding Gall Force the most thrilling show. My favourite thing being YKK, the slowest of the slow, most plot-less go-nowhere thing in the world, I tend not to notice these things much (I know other people get bored of things way easier or long before I do). If I like the characters and enjoy seeing them interact, that's pretty much enough for me. Anything else is a bonus. I'd be loathe to suggest you try it again if you didn't like it the first time.

Y'see, I think it's the short-shorts that put me off it the most. Perhaps if someone took a similar approach to that of Cartoon Network with Tenchi Muyo and drew trousers on all the characters, I would be more open to watching it.

They drew trousers on him! That's brilliant. If it wasn't for that and I had to endure even one episode of a short wearing Tenchi, I don't think I would be on this forum right now,

Ah, sadly it wasn't anything so amusing as that - back when they showed it as "Tenchi Universe", they drew a bikini on Ryoko during the bath-house episode.

For the record though, I would find the idea of watching Tenchi running around in short-shorts a bit off-putting too. A man should never wear those; it's like sandals with socks.

Unless of course, in a twist on the old Die Hard schtick, he lost his trousers at the start of an episode and was forced to battle demons in his skivvies. That would be hilarious.

Back