The "Recommend Me A New Anime/Manga" Thread

daichi383 said:
Its disposable entertainment. its by no means bad because its quite entertaining but its not the best thing ever. at that price i'd go for it especially because of the above average quality of the show in general.
My collection definitely needs some disposable entertainment, so I'll go for it then.

it's better than K-on! :roll:
I reckon most things are better than that show :lol:

Thanks for the wise words folk!

If you haven't ordered it yet, although it'll take them a few days to despatch, dvd.co.uk are even cheaper again, at 7.95 each.

I'm thinking of ordering it myself for that cost, I missed it last time I had it recommended as I was absolutely skint, whereas it's payday today, so despite needing to get car tax I have a little movement room right now.

alexrose1uk said:
If you haven't ordered it yet, although it'll take them a few days to despatch, dvd.co.uk are even cheaper again, at 7.95 each.

I'm thinking of ordering it myself for that cost, I missed it last time I had it recommended as I was absolutely skint, whereas it's payday today, so despite needing to get car tax I have a little movement room right now.
Ordered about 5 mins before you posted :p

I had a 10% off voucher to use on Zavvi though, so I threw in the Eden of the East movies on blu-ray into the order to take best advantage.

Cheers for the heads up though! :)

No worries, I saw that whilst looking around and thought I'd mention. It's only £2, but if you're not planning to watch it next week, whats an extra 4-5 days for despatch?

Can anyone advice me some real funny series? The best comedy I saw was by far full metal panic fumoffu. Just hillarious. Can anyone tell me a few like Fumoffu?

It's hard with comedy as it completely depends, on your tastes.
I found Seitokai Yakuindomo rather funny but it's heaps of innuendo would put some off.

"Like Fumoffu" is hard, because that's so well set-up by knowing the serious side of the series already.

Just "funny shows" I would say School Rumble, K-ON!, Hayate no Gotoku!, Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru, Cromartie Koukou, Azumanga Daioh, Bakemonogatari, Genshiken...

ilmaestro said:
"Like Fumoffu" is hard, because that's so well set-up by knowing the serious side of the series already.

Just "funny shows" I would say School Rumble, K-ON!, Hayate no Gotoku!, Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru, Cromartie Koukou, Azumanga Daioh, Bakemonogatari, Genshiken...

from those i hav eonly see genshiken and its far from being what i call funny. When i mean funny its laught out loud (lol? xD )

Genshiken is good but aint the funny i'm talking about. I think i've seen a long time ago two eps from school rumble and it was nice. Gotta see it then.

K-on is that funny? Didnt have that idea. Just saw the first ep.

Regarding the other names, im gonna see some trailers. tnks :D

Ok after seeing your names i've concluded that most of the series have girls all over the place. Maybe that's what alexrose1uk was talking about

I wanna funny shows with nice characters and not just girls. Girls series sucks, excuse me fans of it. It's my opinion and my taste.

GTO it was funny as hell with a great story and epic moments. Thats the kinda show i am talking about but hey there's no other like gto i know. 8)

ilmaestro said:
You could try two more recent series, Kimi to Boku and Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou.

Im gonna try the second one. :)

teonzo said:
bakum4tsu said:
Can anyone advice me some real funny series?

I'm pretty sure you already have this, but in case you missed then FLCL is a must.

Teo

yes i have already seen flcl. Its a must see for sure. And a must have too xD

Anyway, when you have standarts like flcl, gto or fumoffu, i think it might be difficult do get something that could overcome those.

Gintama makes me laugh out loud when it's on form, and it's irreverent and full of silly, manly facial expressions like GTO. It makes fun of shounen shows especially. It gets better every year and is especially funny if you are familiar with the Bakumatsu period, which I'm guessing you are, though it's set in an alternative timeline. It also delivers epic moments from time to time and doesn't have too many girls. And the girls it does have aren't very cute.

Cromartie which was recommended above is pretty much girl-free if you avoided it by mistake. It makes GTO look like a series about nothing but women in comparison.

Hayate No Gotoku from ilmaestro's list is also worth a second look. The characters are very cute and annoying-looking (sorry) but the show itself is rather well written and very funny. There are a lot of references to other series so if you don't like that kind of humour it might bother you.

R

I've heard good things about gintama but 201 episodes??!!! Should i just the movie first just to have an ideia? Since anidb says its a summary of the series... Then if i like i can watch the 201 never ending episodes lol

Really gotta try cromartie then. :)

tnks for the tips once again

bakum4tsu said:
I've heard good things about gintama but 201 episodes??!!! Should i just the movie first just to have an ideia? Since anidb says its a summary of the series... Then if i like i can watch the 201 never ending episodes lol

Really gotta try cromartie then. :)

tnks for the tips once again

Watch it on Crunchyroll.

I've only just started, but I'm up to episode 30, and it's very enjoyable, wacky humour that reminds me more of 80s and 90s anime. Up to episode 243. Sentai only released the first 49 episodes before quitting.

I'd just watch episode 1 first, it starts midway through the timeline, so you get hit with the characters and the situations in flow. Ir's representative of the series though, so if you don't find it funny, the rest of the series will probably disappoint too.

You can probably start wherever you want in Gintama. I haven't seen the movie sadly (though I know the story as it's just a high budget and glorious version of an existing storyline) and it wouldn't be an ideal place to start. There are loads of characters who get gradually introduced in the TV series so even if you watch the movie first you'll have no idea who some people are later on. Also, the movie is based on one of the more serious arcs, whereas you'll want to see the funnier ones as well. Watching in sequence will be more coherent, but as it's a sitcom with a few short multi-episode stories it doesn't matter if you don't watch every single one.

I'd watch at least the first few TV episodes, then you can either keep watching in sequence or skip ahead if you don't mind not understanding 100% of the gags and want to see them make fun of more recent events/series. My absolute favourite arcs are probably the character ranking arc and the Monkey Hunter episodes. So far.

Incidentally I e-mailed Sentai a while ago begging for more on DVD and they told me to stay tuned, so all hope is not lost...

R

You've probably got plenty to be going on with, but as another person who doesn't hold much with the 'cute girls doing cute things' approach, I'd recommend giving Sexy Commando a shot.

Despite sounding like a hentai series, it's actually an incredibly off the wall show about an idiotic martial artist that relies entirely on bizarre, non-sequitor humour. It's an acquired taste, but the episodes are only 10 minutes long, so even if you don't like it, it's not a big commitment.

bakum4tsu said:
Maybe that's what alexrose1uk was talking about

Nope I recommended Seitokai Yakuindomo because of the level of innuendo based humour...and the guy's the straight laced one! If its your sort of humour, it's a very funny show.

Detroit Metal City is also pretty random.

Back